GPU constantly crashing under load

Hi, I am currently having trouble with my gpu (Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super OC 8GB Rev.2), it's constantly crashing whenever under load with any game (Black screen, audio from games or Discord still playing, loud GPU fan)
However, a temporary fix has been placed by lowering the power limit to 50-60% using MSI Afterburner and it can run Heaven Benchmark on Ultra Settings, unfortunately it still crashes sometimes (playing a game while Photoshop is open or playing a VR game is one of the triggers)

I asked this question in a forum and they told me it's a VRM problem, unfortunately, my local warrantly just expired 7 months ago

Specifications:
Ryzen 7 3700x
MSI B450M Mortar Max
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super OC 8GB Rev.2 -- Main Problem
HyperX Fury 2x8GB 3200mhz
CoolerMaster MWE750 Gold

34 minutes ago, emosun said:

how are the temps when it crashes

I ran a test using Heaven benchmark (on ultra preset) when I saw this
I removed the power limit for this test (power limit is at 100% on MSI Afterburner)
Test was ran for a minute, it was hovering around 66-69c before crashing

Here is a video of the benchmark before the crash (editted to show before the crash)

Update: Tested GPU on a different PC, still the same tho it lasted a bit longer... around like 10 more seconds

So you lower the overall power the GPU can pull and this helps, maybe your PSU is faulty? 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

I have 6 GPUs (both AMD and Nvidia) left by my customers that fail in the exact same way. No real way of fixing that unless you are willing to undergo questionable success PCB surgery. The only somewhat plausible solution i can think of is a small GPU water block which will allow you to run separate small water blocks (like this one) for the VRMs on a custom loop. But adding the cost of all of this just to save an old GPU, you better buy a new one. 

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

2 hours ago, BetteBalterZen said:

So you lower the overall power the GPU can pull and this helps, maybe your PSU is faulty? 

PSU was tested on a different unit but it worked alright, used "Power" test for a couple of minutes without any crashes

1 hour ago, Clueless Rabbit said:

Core temps are okay, could use HWInfo to check power and hot spot temp.

Also, have a look in the Event logs to see if there are any 'Errors' or 'Warnings' when the crash occurs

Would a GPU-Z Sensor Log work? I ran it while testing it (and crashing as usual, can't find anything unusual myself (probably just me)
There is a attached .txt file for it, tho it's not recent

3 hours ago, NorKris said:

is the PC on after the screen turns off? 

Audio was still running (I was on a call with a friend to test it, crashed and still was able to talk with him) so I assume it's still running

Tho I did try to reach Gigabyte for a RMA and they sent me to their local supplier here in my country, asked if it's still covered within the RMA, they accepted it and asked if I could come to their tech support location (Tho I am anxious that they might not accept it because I am not sure if I have voided the warranty or not because I opened the GPU for repasting because it was the first thing I did when I got the crashing)

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

42 minutes ago, ShiNyan said:

PSU was tested on a different unit but it working alright, used "Power" test for a couple of minutes without any crashes

Would a GPU-Z Sensor Log work? I ran it while testing it (and crashing as usual, can't find anything unusual myself (probably just me)
There is a attached .txt file for it, tho it's not recent

Audio was still running (I was on a call with a friend to test it, crashed and still was able to talk with him) so I assume it's still running

Tho I did try to reach Gigabyte for a RMA and they sent me to their local supplier here in my country, asked if it's still covered within the RMA, they accepted it and asked if I could come to their tech support location (Tho I am anxious that they might not accept it because I am not sure if I have voided the warranty or not because I opened the GPU for repasting because it was the first thing I did when I got the crashing)

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt 5.18 MB · 0 downloads

same problem as my gigabyte 3080 then

i took the card apart, cleaned it (all thermalpaste and so on..) tested it on a test system.. 40hours in, no errors 

Update: Got it RMA'd, well, not yet, I just sent it to the local tech service (Gigabyte's RMA center) here that was extremely far away. Hopefully they actually accept the RMA

7 hours ago, ShiNyan said:

Update: Got it RMA'd, well, not yet, I just sent it to the local tech service (Gigabyte's RMA center) here that was extremely far away. Hopefully they actually accept the RMA

Wut ?!?! a 2080 still under warranty? That's a plot twist i didn't expect....

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

On 2/12/2023 at 5:21 PM, QuantumSingularity said:

Wut ?!?! a 2080 still under warranty? That's a plot twist i didn't expect....

it was bought around 2020, original owner was smart enough to register the GPU with Gigabyte's 4 year warranty

still waiting for a RMA update tho, hopes still up

i just wonder, all ur crashing, did it happen without  MSI afterburner (or similar software) installed?

did u ever look at  Ghz on the GPU core or the volt in HWinfo64?

23 hours ago, NorKris said:

i just wonder, all ur crashing, did it happen without  MSI afterburner (or similar software) installed?

did u ever look at  Ghz on the GPU core or the volt in HWinfo64?

Had AORUS’s software installed once but deleted it. MSI Afterburner was installed way before the constant crashing happened. I overclocked it with settings I found on the net, don’t remember but I had it a bit lower than what other users had, tho I am not even sure if I continued using the overclocked settings or not due to forgetting about it

I only had GPU-Z Sensor Log on while testing it. Cant currently test it using HWInfo64 cause its on RMA

if our problem is the same;
im testing the different frequencies at different voltedge points with msi afterburner

some are stable 

update: got back from the RMA, they cant fix it so they gave me a new 2080 super, tho its weirdly slight bent