New Ryzen 7700X build, X670E-A mobo, yellow DRAM light turns on

Delicieuxz
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

How long have you left it for the DRAM LED to be on? Memory training on AM5 takes forever, with 64GB of RAM I'd expect it to take somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5 minutes to train, so you'll just end up sitting on that LED for 4-5 minutes while you wait for the board to train. 

I've just put together this PC. When I power it on, the CPU fans spin up, but the case fans don't. The yellow DRAM light turns on.

The RAM is G.Skill 6000 Mhz CL32-38-38-96 DDR5.

I've tried re-seating the DRAM, and I've tried powering up with just one RAM stick installed, and have tried both RAM sticks separately in the RAM slot indicated in the instructions. In all cases, the same thing happens: the CPU fans spin up, but the case fans don't, and the yellow DRAM light turns on.

1977418407_RAMslots.png.2ac18ccfe1bb179ad1045b9e74f30a59.png

Any ideas as to what the issue is?

20230206_205011.thumb.jpg.34e84069c78a9dc84d90fbbfa81cf19e.jpg

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Damn that's an unfortunate update to this build 😞
Remind me the motherboard again?

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

How long have you left it for the DRAM LED to be on? Memory training on AM5 takes forever, with 64GB of RAM I'd expect it to take somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5 minutes to train, so you'll just end up sitting on that LED for 4-5 minutes while you wait for the board to train. 

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Oh, really? I had no idea the RAM training happens with the case fans off and the DRAM light on. That's something to try, then. I had it powered on for less than 30 seconds before powering it off again. I'll give that a try and then report back.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

8 minutes ago, mr cheese said:

Damn that's an unfortunate update to this build 😞
Remind me the motherboard again?

The motherboard is an Asus X670E-A Gaming Wifi.

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

Oh, really? I had no idea the RAM training happens with the case fans off and the DRAM light on. That's something to try, then. I had it powered on for less than 30 seconds before powering it off again. I'll give that a try and then report back.

Case fans off is a bit weird, usually they are running, but DRAM LED on is what should happen during memory training. I'd wait for the memory to train, then see if the case fans are a different issue. 

21 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Case fans off is a bit weird, usually they are running, but DRAM LED on is what should happen during memory training. I'd wait for the memory to train, then see if the case fans are a different issue. 

Yup. After training, it goes into the BIOS! It first went to this screen, and me not knowing what it was talking about just pressed Y. Then it went into the BIOS, and now it goes into the BIOS directly after each power up.

20230206_214011.thumb.jpg.a660f9ac2fde0b258621733f46cd4e57.jpg

The case fans still don't turn on. They're connected to the controller PCB behind the motherboard panel, and that controller PCB has a header cable that I've connected to one of the chassis fans connectors on the mobo.

20230206_215107.thumb.jpg.413a68da7e350ab33c488dc615aee404.jpg

20230206_215135.thumb.jpg.04e96a552e3c9c9670191359fbc4a134.jpg

Also, the power supply has high-pitched coil whine, which I hope will go away after a bit of usage. If it doesn't, I'll have to RMA that.

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

The case fans still don't turn on. They're connected to the controller PCB behind the motherboard panel, and that controller PCB has a header cable that I've connected to one of the chassis fans connectors on the mobo.

The case is a Silent Base 802, right? At least that fan controller looks like the one from that case (it's the case my daily system is currently in). 

Anyway, for that fan controller to work it needs to be hooked up to SATA, it being connected to your motherboard is a bit irrelevant since AFAIK it's only really there to give an RPM reading to your motherboard, I've yet to get it to actually be able to adjust fan speed manually. 

37 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The case is a Silent Base 802, right? At least that fan controller looks like the one from that case (it's the case my daily system is currently in). 

Anyway, for that fan controller to work it needs to be hooked up to SATA, it being connected to your motherboard is a bit irrelevant since AFAIK it's only really there to give an RPM reading to your motherboard, I've yet to get it to actually be able to adjust fan speed manually. 

You're right, I didn't have the SATA power connector connected! That's fixed now, and with the header connector also connected, the case fans are working and show up in the bios (as a single fan). The case fans run at nearly 1000 RPM when the Silent Base 802 fan speed is set to auto. I guess they might follow whatever I set the BIOS fan-curve profile to.

The BIOS says the CPU (7700X) is at 38C, which I'm guessing is way more than it should be. I really locked everything with the Noctua NH-D15 cooler down tightly. I'm going to install Windows and check the CPU temperature when loaded into Windows, and if it reads high there, then remove the cooler and do it over.

5 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

You're right, I didn't have the SATA power connector connected! That's fixed now, and with the header connector also connected, the case fans are working and show up in the bios (as a single fan). The case fans run at nearly 1000 RPM when the Silent Base 802 fan speed is set to auto. I guess they might follow whatever I set the BIOS fan-curve profile to.

At least on my case, "Auto" was pretty much just another name for "High". Nothing I did either in BIOS or fan control software in Windows was ever able to change it from that roughly 1000rpm fan speed they run at by default. Feel free to try, mine might just be broken, but I've got my doubts and am pretty sure that the controller just doesn't really support mobo control despite it seeming like it does. 

8 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

The BIOS says the CPU (7700X) is at 38C, which I'm guessing is way more than it should be. I really locked everything with the Noctua NH-D15 cooler down tightly. I'm going to install Windows and check the CPU temperature when loaded into Windows, and if it reads high there, then remove the cooler and do it over.

38C doesn't sound too out of the ordinary for that chip. Ryzen 7000 is next to impossible to cool due to the thermal density and crazy thick IHS. 40-50C is where they idle, and in sustained all core workloads its not uncommon for them to get to 95C by design.