New build, 4K$, not sure if I sould go AMD or intel, the rest is kinda set (build's inside)

ZaziNabu
28 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Specific features might be different from board to board, but the chipset still designates a lot of what the board can and will have or won't have.

Reveal hidden contents

pvGHNdYSvTmum4D3y4LMzQ-970-80.jpg.webp

The H670 is a great mid step between B660 and Z690 that gets overlooked a lot though.

Thanks again! Yeah, I have an H670, but I got my son a B660 since he won't need the extras. I didn't want the tweaking/OC, but I wanted the extra ports, slots and headers, and I didn't know where to look to get the latter without the former...If that even exists. Does it exist?

The RAID feature was irksome as I turned on IRST, which caused RAID to turn on, and that resulted in my SSD being designated a RAID drive (the only drive). Asus support was absolutely useless in figuring that out.

Not sure why people keep telling everyone "get wifi!" for a computer that's too big to move around. We use ethernet even though we have that lovely wifi.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

On 2/10/2023 at 3:36 AM, IkeaGnome said:

The H670 is a great mid step between B660 and Z690 that gets overlooked a lot though.

Because more often than not manufacturers make H series boards that are basically replica of B series counterpart, IDK why. 

36 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Because more often than not manufacturers make H series boards that are basically replica of B series counterpart, IDK why. 

That's interesting. For our 2 PCs, the difference between B and H is large, while the difference between H and Z is rather smaller.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

1 hour ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

I think historically that is correct. I think the issue with H670 was that when 600 series boards first came out there wasn't very many of them and they were about the same price as a Z series board with the few less available bells and whistles making them make no sense. There's still not very many options that are easily found, but their price is much more competitive now it seems, even being cheaper than some B660 boards.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?