New build, 4K$, not sure if I sould go AMD or intel, the rest is kinda set (build's inside)

ZaziNabu

Budget (including currency): 4000$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games, editing, rendering

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I'm getting all the parts from Amazon

Hi all, I'm going to build a new epic pc, I'm just not sure if I sould go AMD or Intel for the long run.

Specs in the pics.

image.png

image.png.6014f67af3ba5f503d40cbef12caf435.png

If you care about power draw, AMD. If you play big sim-type games or RTS ones that scale well with lots of cores, then AMD (see Linus' video on deciding this question for his own home rig - he picked AMD). Otherwise, Intel. It's within margin of error or imperceptibly faster in most games, out of games you have Intel QuickSync which is incredibly good in the Adobe suite and some other creative software. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando_ said:

If you care about power draw, AMD. If you play big sim-type games or RTS ones that scale well with lots of cores, then AMD (see Linus' video on deciding this question for his own home rig - he picked AMD). Otherwise, Intel. It's within margin of error or imperceptibly faster in most games, out of games you have Intel QuickSync which is incredibly good in the Adobe suite and some other creative software. 

hmm, so intel will give me a big boost in productivity and AMD is better for gaming.

power draw is a concern, but as far as I know the 7950x is not that far off the 13900k (might be wrong)
https://www.anandtech.com/show/17641/lighter-touch-cpu-power-scaling-13900k-7950x/4

2 minutes ago, ZaziNabu said:

power draw is a concern, but as far as I know the 7950x is not that far off the 13900k (might be wrong)
https://www.anandtech.com/show/17641/lighter-touch-cpu-power-scaling-13900k-7950x/4

Both are top SKU chips pushed out of their efficiency range. Friend can run his 13900K ~180W and have no impact to actual compiling/general use, the 7950X likely scales even lower, so either way it's slightly lower power draw for similar performance. 

4 minutes ago, ZaziNabu said:

hmm, so intel will give me a big boost in productivity and AMD is better for gaming.

Better for some specific titles due to all being equal cores vs Intel's P/E core split. Across the board they're pretty comparable, the Intel chip is slightly faster but I doubt anyone actually notices the difference between 240fps and 250fps or whatever it is. Usually the difference is very small and the slower chip is still incredibly fast. 

For productivity yeah, Intel QuickSync is pretty busted in anything that supports it (tis the reason I'd always avoid F chips when possible, as those cut the iGPU and thus QuickSync support): https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/13th-gen-intel-core-processors-content-creation-review-2369/.

As an additional possible tie-breaker, you mention "for the long run" in the OP. Intel usually runs chips for 2 generations on 2 generations of boards (Z170/270 + 6th/7th gen, Z370/390 + 8th/9th gen, Z490/590 + 10th/11th gen, etc). Currently we've got Z690/790 + 12th/13th, meaning 14th gen chips should require a new board. AM5 has the X3D chips confirmed on the way, and I would assume at least one new generation of chips on top of that, so they will leave you with a more up to date CPU before needing to get a new board. 

At the end of the day, either chip is a great choice and should carry you for a damn while. I usually go back and use 5+ year old top-spec chips and they still do everything I need them to fine (except for low power draw :old-tongue:). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

11 hours ago, Zando_ said:

As an additional possible tie-breaker, you mention "for the long run" in the OP. Intel usually runs chips for 2 generations on 2 generations of boards (Z170/270 + 6th/7th gen, Z370/390 + 8th/9th gen, Z490/590 + 10th/11th gen, etc). Currently we've got Z690/790 + 12th/13th, meaning 14th gen chips should require a new board. AM5 has the X3D chips confirmed on the way, and I would assume at least one new generation of chips on top of that, so they will leave you with a more up to date CPU before needing to get a new board. 

I don't change cpu's over the years, I donate my old pc's to local centers for children so that's not a real concern I have 🙂

And yes, the 3dvcach ver of the new AMD cpu's is just around the corner, but the freaking price is nuts lol 700$ for a cpu is just too much, even for that crazy budget lol.

btw, is the mb I chose a decent one for light oc? this gen you don't really get many options for ddr5 pci-e 5.0 mb and that's the only one I saw in amazon that looked dissent to me (might be wrong though)  

11 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

RAM is very slow for this build. I also dislike that Asus board, It isn't as good as price might suggest. 

The RAM was recommended by buildzoide, I trust it's plenty fast and I'll be able to oc it easily.

What mb would you suggest? (needs to have 3 m.2 slots) 

2 hours ago, ZaziNabu said:

The RAM was recommended by buildzoide, I trust it's plenty fast and I'll be able to oc it easily.

If you are going to manually tweak timings than that RAM will be okay, But ideally you won't want to run slower than 6000MHz CL36. 

For motherboard if u want white Gigabyte B650 AERO G, MSI MPG B650 EDGE WIFI similar boards are plenty enough. 

Gigabyte X670 GAMING X AX can be found for very good price in Europe and it's good as well for much lower price point. 

ASRock X670E Steel Legend is also similarly good and is usually cheaper. Asus easily gets away with pricing their motherboard higher than competition even so they aren't worth the extra, I'm really starting to dislike Asus lately.

2 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

If you are going to manually tweak timings than that RAM will be okay, But ideally you won't want to run slower than 6000MHz CL36. 

For motherboard if u want white Gigabyte B650 AERO G, MSI MPG B650 EDGE WIFI similar boards are plenty enough. 

Gigabyte X670 GAMING X AX can be found for very good price in Europe and it's good as well for much lower price point. 

ASRock X670E Steel Legend is also similarly good and is usually cheaper. Asus easily gets away with pricing their motherboard higher than competition even so they aren't worth the extra, I'm really starting to dislike Asus lately.

Any 700 series mb? or it dos not make a difference for OC and DDR5?

14 hours ago, ZaziNabu said:

Any 700 series mb? or it dos not make a difference for OC and DDR5?

700? What 700? 

1 hour ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

700? What 700? 

z790 bords, but I just saw some videos about the fact that the 690 bords are uilt better in most cases and cost way less. 
Now I'm looking at the Gigabyte Z690 Aero D, it looks like a really good, but a bit lacks in USB's, though there are 2 thunderbolt's I can split

22 hours ago, ZaziNabu said:

think he uses a different bin, the higher cas bins like 5600c36/40 6000c40/36, etc. Will usually come with meh ics like 16gbit b die that can only do a meager 6600

Id suggest 6000c32 or c30 if thats the same price since those are hynix a dies, easily do 8000+ so enough to ride out the entire ddr5 generation. Or at the very least 5200c28/5600c30/28 which are usually hynix m die which are still pretty decent (~7200)

Psu board and cooler should be swapped for cheaper options (rog thor have abysmal price and theyre just rebranded seasonics, asus boards are generally overpriced and likely bios crippled judging by my p5q, nothing special about the galahad, gets destroyed by the liquid freezer ii 360), and there are cheaper ssd options like the gammix s70 blade, kingston fury renegade, etc. With the same performance though assuming the samsung ssd isnt stupid overpriced its ok

48 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

think he uses a different bin, the higher cas bins like 5600c36/40 6000c40/36, etc. Will usually come with meh ics like 16gbit b die that can only do a meager 6600

Id suggest 6000c32 or c30 if thats the same price since those are hynix a dies, easily do 8000+ so enough to ride out the entire ddr5 generation. Or at the very least 5200c28/5600c30/28 which are usually hynix m die which are still pretty decent (~7200)

Psu board and cooler should be swapped for cheaper options (rog thor have abysmal price and theyre just rebranded seasonics, asus boards are generally overpriced and likely bios crippled judging by my p5q, nothing special about the galahad, gets destroyed by the liquid freezer ii 360), and there are cheaper ssd options like the gammix s70 blade, kingston fury renegade, etc. With the same performance though assuming the samsung ssd isnt stupid overpriced its ok

I'm thinking on getting an Gigabyte Z690 Aero D and change the RAM kit to 6000cl34 (more then that and it's over 400$).
SSD wise, it's the cheapest option for me, but I'm waiting to see what's going on with all the issues with the Samsung drives and if the driver update fixed the issue. 

On 2/8/2023 at 12:53 PM, ZaziNabu said:

z790 bords, but I just saw some videos about the fact that the 690 bords are uilt better in most cases and cost way less. 
Now I'm looking at the Gigabyte Z690 Aero D, it looks like a really good, but a bit lacks in USB's, though there are 2 thunderbolt's I can split

We are talking about AMD, Not Intel, Intel Z series motherboards are not compatible with AMD CPUs.

2 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

We are talking about AMD, Not Intel, Intel Z series motherboards are not compatible with AMD CPUs.

I know that 🙂
I was talking about the intel build.

If you're going with Intel, and you want to tweak/overclock, both h and z boards usually allow for that. H have more ports and slots than b, and z has even more. Not all boards are created equally, so this is just a general guideline. Lots of Asrock mobos don't stack up well in tests, for example, but a few rank very highly, for example. 

I agree with @Dr0idGh0sTabout the RAM, too. Also, for backups of your unneeded data,  either add a giant SATA HDD or SSD.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

8 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

If you're going with Intel, and you want to tweak/overclock, both h and z boards usually allow for that. H have more ports and slots than b, and z has even more. Not all boards are created equally, so this is just a general guideline. Lots of Asrock mobos don't stack up well in tests, for example, but a few rank very highly, for example. 

I agree with @Dr0idGh0sTabout the RAM, too. Also, for backups of your unneeded data,  either add a giant SATA HDD or SSD.

I'll take a different RAM 🙂
But what about the Gigabyte Z690 Aero D, is it any good? 

It looks really good to me as long as you need the extras that it has. Please check out reviews and ratings, and hopefully others will cast a vote on this mobo. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

I'll take a different RAM 🙂
But what about the Gigabyte Z690 Aero D, is it any good? 

So you are getting 13900K? 

So you are getting 13900K? 

probably, the Intel IGPU is really good with Adobe suite and will speed things up for me.

I will wait an extra month though to see the x3d and if AMD fixed all the bugs and issues with the 7000 series CPU's.

probably, the Intel IGPU is really good with Adobe suite and will speed things up for me.

I will wait an extra month though to see the x3d and if AMD fixed all the bugs and issues with the 7000 series CPU's.

X3D will most likely have better gaming but worese productivity performance. 

6 hours ago, RevGAM said:

I'd just like to clear something up here. Are you talking about tweaking/overclocking ram or cpu or both? 

Z series for intel would allow for ram and cpu overclocking. H series would allow for ram overclocking. B series does as well since B560 and 11th gen Intel. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

I'd just like to clear something up here. Are you talking about tweaking/overclocking ram or cpu or both? 

Z series for intel would allow for ram and cpu overclocking. H series would allow for ram overclocking. B series does as well since B560 and 11th gen Intel. 

Thanks for the clarification between B, H and Z. I was being general because I assume that there are exceptions between manufacturers, and within and between product lines. If you'd like to educate me, I'm happy to learn. 🙂

X3D will most likely have better gaming but worese productivity performance. 

Yeah probably, but I'm just worried about the multi dye issues in gaming

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

Thanks for the clarification between B, H and Z. I was being general because I assume that there are exceptions between manufacturers, and within and between product lines. If you'd like to educate me, I'm happy to learn. 🙂

Specific features might be different from board to board, but the chipset still designates a lot of what the board can and will have or won't have.

Spoiler

pvGHNdYSvTmum4D3y4LMzQ-970-80.jpg.webp

The H670 is a great mid step between B660 and Z690 that gets overlooked a lot though.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?