Intel Said to be Slashing 12th Gen "Alder Lake" Core Processor Pricing by 20%

BiG StroOnZ

Summary

A report from DigiTimes in Taiwan says Intel has decided to slash the prices of its 12th Generation ‘Alder Lake’ Core processors by up to 20%. The source indicates that this price cut will be to encourage orders/boost demand, with hints that the cuts will affect both desktop and laptop CPUs. On top-tier products, the cuts could mean a price cut of up to $130 per processor.

9ViV6SgHSCBb9gmc.jpg.aab6316ae46a03fb7360e8e91042ce27.jpg

Quotes

Back in January, Intel officially increased the price of its 12th Gen Core processors by 10 percent, a move that was thought to help push the 13th Gen Core processors in retail. Here we are, barely a month later and Intel is now said to be cutting the price on said 12th Gen Core processors.

If you want some idea as to the scale of the price cuts which are rumored to be impending or already in effect, Twitter’s Harukaze5719 has put together a little chart (above) that shows the launch price, Q4 2022 price uplift, and the resulting price if a 20% cut was applied.

Some of the higher-end models, like the excellent Core i9-12900 series and the Core i7-12700K, will see their prices fall by more than $100.

A big caveat in all this is that these cuts will be for tray processors that are sold in bulk to high-volume manufacturers like Acer, ASUS, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, MSI, Lenovo, etc., who might not pass the full saving onto the consumer. Still, we can expect to see at least some reduction in Alder Lake system prices.

My thoughts

I see this as a logical move by Intel, as AM4 is still very compelling option for most individuals. You can get an adequate B550 board, Ryzen 5 5600, and 16-32GB 3200MHz kit of DDR4 for a stellar price. By cutting the prices of Alder Lake/12th Gen by 20%, this makes going Intel a more persuasive alternative. I see Zen 4/AM5 and 13th Gen as very competitive, giving the edge to Intel. Nonetheless, this move by Intel will make previous Gen also very competitive. I'm not sure if this is still on track, but there was supposed to be a Raptor Lake refresh coming later in the year, allegedly Q3 2023. If this is true, it's possible Intel is trying to clear 12th Gen stock before Raptor Lake refresh launches to compete with Zen 4 7000X3D chips. 

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-in-talks-with-pc-partners-over-20-price-cuts-for-alder-lake-cpus-report

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20230131PD214/alder-lake-core-i9-intel-processor-raptor-lake.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/304311/intel-said-to-be-slashing-12th-gen-core-processor-pricing

https://www.techspot.com/news/97459-intel-alder-lake-cpu-prices-look-set-fall.html

I got my 12700 for well under $300 back when 13th gen was on the bleeding edge of comming out.  Then 12th gen prices went up again.  I considered the 12700 (non-k) to have more performance than I could possibly use gaming and have been proved right.  The thing rarely hits 50% at 100fps on tiny Tina at 4k with a 6800xt.  I doubt I’d hit 100% if I had a 4090ti. Still would have gotten a 5700x because they were listed as cheaper but they were sold out.  I really don’t understand why one would even want more than 12th gen, or even 11th gen for gaming.  Unless there is some other factor involved more cpu basically buys you nothing.  It’s even a bit iffy to go 8 core instead of 6 core.  I suspect 8 core can only matter at the very end of the lifespan of the consoles. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Intel had some bad financial results, and AMD's just followed. Seems a tough time for selling PC gear. Intel also just announced a price cut for Arc A750 which I believe is already implemented in US.

I didn't keep up to date, wasn't there talk that lower 13th gen were actually renamed 12th gen? Like the 13400(F) shares the same 6P+4E as the 12600k, and what is probably a real Raptor is the 13500 upwards with 6P+8E. So any silicon still in Intel's hand could be repackaged, and the discounts are for existing stock.

Also not been keeping up to date on the Meteor Lake, will it or wont it release this year? Intel did reaffirm Meteor Lake this year in their call, however that could just be for mobile with desktop again being a 2nd class getting a refresh. Also I recall Meteor was rumoured to be only for the higher end, in a similar way AMD splits between chiplet offerings and APUs. Lower end might still be filled by Raptor for some time.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

18 hours ago, porina said:

Intel had some bad financial results, and AMD's just followed. Seems a tough time for selling PC gear. Intel also just announced a price cut for Arc A750 which I believe is already implemented in US.

I didn't keep up to date, wasn't there talk that lower 13th gen were actually renamed 12th gen? Like the 13400(F) shares the same 6P+4E as the 12600k, and what is probably a real Raptor is the 13500 upwards with 6P+8E. So any silicon still in Intel's hand could be repackaged, and the discounts are for existing stock.

Also not been keeping up to date on the Meteor Lake, will it or wont it release this year? Intel did reaffirm Meteor Lake this year in their call, however that could just be for mobile with desktop again being a 2nd class getting a refresh. Also I recall Meteor was rumoured to be only for the higher end, in a similar way AMD splits between chiplet offerings and APUs. Lower end might still be filled by Raptor for some time.

I saw the articles regarding Intel's bad quarter and it seemed AMD had its fair share of problems as well. A lot of people are struggling out there, trying to afford just the basics. It's hard to justify purchasing luxury goods (or non-essential items) in this climate. 

i5-13500 and below is Alder Lake Refresh, while i5-13600k and higher is Raptor Lake. I also believe the 13600 (non-K) is Alder Lake. There is also mixed info on whether the 13400 is Raptor or Alder. Regardless, If the silicon is indeed the same, discounts could apply to existing stock.

There seems to be many different rumors regarding Meteor Lake. The biggest question is whether or not Meteor Lake will be mobile only and if there will even be desktop Meteor Lake. Intel still hasn't addressed the rumors that Meteor Lake will not be coming to desktop. The most recent rumors still claim that Intel will forgo Meteor Lake-S in favor of a Raptor Lake-S refresh. Originally, there were leaked roadmaps that suggested Meteor Lake was going to launch in late 2022. However, because of manufacturing issues, this lead to Raptor Lake's inception. Now, Pat Gelsinger said Meteor Lake is on track to ramp up production in 2023, but there was no designation on whether that was for both mobile and desktop. In December there was a roadmap that leaked that suggested there was a Raptor Lake Refresh due for Q3 2023, without mention of desktop Meteor Lake in it. Suggesting that Meteor Lake-S was possibly scrapped. 

Definitely a confusing situation. You would think Intel would be excited to announce new desktop chips featuring Intel 4 process tech and the multi-tile design.