Will AMD FX8350 run ddr3 mems at 2133mhz?

Hello guys, i'm new in the pcbuilding scene and i recently got an amd fx8350 on a Asus Sabretooth 990 fx R2.0 for a great price and try to have decent gaming rig within budget. For ram i bought kingston's hyperxbeast 2x8gb kit at 2133 mhz, though my newbieness did not warm me about the limits this amd processor had and will not go as far as 1800 mhz. Looking online there were mixed opinions and some claim it can be done to run at 2133 mhz.  So i turn to you members of this great forums for your assistance and settle once and for all this subject.

They should work at 1866Mhz but you will just have to set it up in the BIOS.

Quote me to get a reply!

I run 2133mhz memory....

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

Hello guys, i'm new in the pcbuilding scene and i recently got an amd fx8350 on a Asus Sabretooth 990 fx R2.0 for a great price and try to have decent gaming rig within budget. For ram i bought kingston's hyperxbeast 2x8gb kit at 2133 mhz, though my newbieness did not warm me about the limits this amd processor had and will not go as far as 1800 mhz. Looking online there were mixed opinions and some claim it can be done to run at 2133 mhz. So i turn to you members of this great forums for your assistance and settle once and for all this subject.

Along as you have a resent bios update from Asus you should be able to set it up... Only thing is your going to need about a 4.4ghz CPU overclock to open up the memory controller as they have some interesting things happen with them if you don't have a over clocked cpu @Priller can explain it very well

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

Well Yes it will I have a FX 8350 4.6ghz OC ht link 2600 and nb freq 2600 & kingston hyper x plug n play Ram 2133 mhz 16gb stable with no issues at all on a Asus Sabretooth 990 fx R2.0 motherboard with two GTX 780 DirectCU II

Well Yes it will I have a FX 8350 4.6ghz OC ht link 2600 and nb freq 2600 & kingston hyper x plug n play Ram 2133 mhz 16gb stable with no issues at all on a Asus Sabretooth 990 fx R2.0 motherboard with two GTX 780 DirectCU II

He is not asking about that, you know.

Thankyou guys, so 1866 mhz it is until i get a water cooler to OC my cpu, nevertheless 1866 mhz is still for gaming right?

It's not about what YOU run, It's about WHAT HE CAN RUN!

look at my specs.... *just a hint* its a 8350

An 8350 should run 2 dimms at very high speeds. With 2x8GB I would say 2133 would be on the high side but it greatly depends on the CPU's IMC. The issue is running 4 dimms at speeds over 1600. That is where most people run into problems. 

I've pushed 2x8GB dimms out to almost 2300mhz without issues and I'm currently running CL10 1866 ram at CL9 and tighter timings. It just takes a bit to figure it out and dial it in.

Thankyou guys, so 1866 mhz it is until i get a water cooler to OC my cpu, nevertheless 1866 mhz is still for gaming right?

AMD CPUs respond better to tighter timings and lower CL then shear speed. It is also harder for the IMC to run higher speeds then lower latency.

Most 2133 kits are CL11. Running CL10 1866 would give equal or better performance while being easier on the CPU IMC. 

IMO the best kit to buy for AMD CPUs would be G. Skill Trident X as they offer good speed but will lower latency.

Yes and no.  First your motherboard's PCB design must be up to the task, that is completely up in the air as to whether or not it is.

Second, the motherboard must support being set to that speed, again this is up in the air, and could even change with the bios revision.

Then there is also the possibility that the cpu's built in memory controller may not be able to be overclocked that high.

In short: it's iffy, and it's definitely (IIRC) out of spec for the cpu design.

I have this motherboard and an fx 8320, but I have never tried over ddr3 1600 on it.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3996#sp

I do remember using the ddr3 1600 at 1600 with one of those 6 core phenom II on this mobo, which is above spec for them, and it ran great, so it is not a foregone conclusion that it will be unstable if it is over spec for the cpu's memory controller.

I am a female pc hardware expert and enthusiast, over 170 IQ, been in the tech scene since the 80s. get over it.  This message brought to you by me being tired of people which have problems with any of those things.   ~Jaqie Fox

-=|Fighting computer ignorance since 1995|=-

YEAH! I run Minecraft (A memory intensive game) at 200+ fps with 1866 mhz RAM!

I run 4 dimms and my 2133 mhz was stable before I overclocked my cpu 

I run 4 dimms and my 2133 mhz was stable before I overclocked my cpu 

Increase CPU NB and CPU Voltage. 

An 8350 should run 2 dimms at very high speeds. With 2x8GB I would say 2133 would be on the high side but it greatly depends on the CPU's IMC. The issue is running 4 dimms at speeds over 1600. That is where most people run into problems. 

I've pushed 2x8GB dimms out to almost 2300mhz without issues and I'm currently running CL10 1866 ram at CL9 and tighter timings. It just takes a bit to figure it out and dial it in.

AMD CPUs respond better to tighter timings and lower CL then shear speed. It is also harder for the IMC to run higher speeds then lower latency.

Most 2133 kits are CL11. Running CL10 1866 would give equal or better performance while being easier on the CPU IMC. 

IMO the best kit to buy for AMD CPUs would be G. Skill Trident X as they offer good speed but will lower latency.

Unfortunetly i already bought these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A772022/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so any recommendations you can give me to salvage this poorly inform buy :S?

Unfortunetly i already bought these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A772022/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so any recommendations you can give me to salvage this poorly inform buy :S?

I would need to know the timings and voltage the ram is supposed to run.

Then look at the 1866mhz version of the same ram and run it's timing and voltage. If that proves stable with CL10 timings, I would try to increase ram and CPU NB voltage then try CL9 with tighter timings.

I would need to know the timings and voltage the ram is supposed to run.

Then look at the 1866mhz version of the same ram and run it's timing and voltage. If that proves stable with CL10 timings, I would try to increase ram and CPU NB voltage then try CL9 with tighter timings.

Thanks i will try that, thank you all guys for your quick and excellent tips!

The offical supported memory speed for the FX-8350 is 1866MHz. Anything beyond is considered an overclock. And you may know, overclockig results will vary when tweaking computer parts.

If the RAM is rated for 2133MHz, it doesnt hurt try. Just be sure to enable the D.O.C.P. profile in the motherboard BIOS (AMD's version of XMP) or manually set the timings and voltages according to the RAM specifications.

Im using a 8GB (4GB X 2) kit of G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 2133MHz RAM on my own FX-8350, And I havent run into issues.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

The offical supported memory speed for the FX-8350 is 1866MHz. Anything beyond is considered an overclock. And you may know, overclockig results will vary when tweaking computer parts.

If the RAM is rated for 2133MHz, it doesnt hurt try. Just be sure to enable the D.O.C.P. profile in the motherboard BIOS (AMD's version of XMP) or manually set the timings and voltages according to the RAM specifications.

Im using a 8GB (4GB X 2) kit of G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 2133MHz RAM on my own FX-8350, And I havent run into issues.

Technically 1866 is supported for 1 dimm and not 2. 

DOCP can also do some strange things with an OC. It can be a pain to get back to where it was before.

4GB dimms are easier to run and should prove easier to reach higher speeds without much trouble.

Hello guys, i'm new in the pcbuilding scene and i recently got an amd fx8350 on a Asus Sabretooth 990 fx R2.0 for a great price and try to have decent gaming rig within budget. For ram i bought kingston's hyperxbeast 2x8gb kit at 2133 mhz, though my newbieness did not warm me about the limits this amd processor had and will not go as far as 1800 mhz. Looking online there were mixed opinions and some claim it can be done to run at 2133 mhz.  So i turn to you members of this great forums for your assistance and settle once and for all this subject.

I got my RAM to run stably at 2133 with my 8350 at stock speed. 2400 ran but was not stable. As long as the board supports it, it'll probably work.

CPU-AMD FX 8350 @ 4.9Ghz | GPU-Sapphire 7970 OC | Motherboard-AsRock Extreme9 990fx | RAM-8GB Mushkin Blackline Ridgeback

Case-NZXT Switch 810 | Heatsink-NZXT HAVIK | SSD-Samsung 840 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barricuda 1TB; WD Green 2TB
PSU-Seasonic X-Series 850 Watt | Mouse-Razer Naga | Keyboard-Razer Blackwidow | Speakers-Logitech z623