PC worked before changing thermal paste, and now it doesn't

Luka858

I had this pc for 4 years, and cleaned it from dust every year. Some times I had to reset bios, but that was due to unsuccessfull overclocking, but after returning everything to default it worked perfect.

This time I decided to change 4 year old thermal paste on my Ryzen 3 2200G (it works on Radeon Vega 8, no dedicated GPU). I did it perfectly, no paste in socket, no broken pins, grounded my self few times to prevent electric discharges, connected everything as it was.
I connected PC to peripherals and pluged it to the power outlet, at that moment blue LED (next to power button) lighted imidiately, even the pc in turned off. I wait for few seconds and turn it on. It lights BLUE and RED LED, loads bios perfectly, but has problem with loading Win 10, it shows blue screen with options like: do system recovery, reset system, etc. And I turned off and on PC several times and tried every of options. It did't help.
(I didn't want to reinstall system, or put another one because I would loose all game saves and some files in C partition)
Then I powered it off, removed powercord, reset bios with jumper, remove the battery on MB for almost an hour, put it back. Wait few minutes, give it power again and press power button.
NOTHING. All drives and fans spins, but no picture even after 10 minutes. I also conneted a working beeper, and it didn't beep even once. This time BLUE LED lighted again, but RED (for drives) didn't (probably couldn't get into bios, so it hasn't come to checking on drives yet).

Then, I removed one by one component to see if something is preventing it from boot (all components except PSU, CPU, MB and RAM). Nothnig changed.
Then I try replacing and moving RAM to diferent slots, same again: no picture, no beep, all fans and drives spins up. Maybe it's PSU, changed it with other working one, again no changes.
Then, once again I removed the coller and CPU to check if I maybe messed up with thermal paste (but then it wouldn't work at first when it turned on and bios worked, and Windows 10 had a problem, not MB). So after assuring there's no paste inside socket, turn it on, no change once again.

PC specs:
- Biostar A320MH ver 6.0
- Ryzen 3 2200G
- 16 GB @2666 MHz GEIL (2x8)
- 200 W Rhino PA500 PSU
- 120 GB Patriot sata III SSD
- 1 TB Western digital HDD

= In conclusion: when press power button it spins all fans and HDD, BLUE led lights and RED led does not, it shows no picture at all, it does not beep.
= I suspect it's MB or CPU, but would rather say it MB, because it had sevral issues in past with audio ports. But now even if it doesn't give any picture it still gives power through all USB ports and sipn up all the fans, so Idk. It might be cpu because there's no picture on any connector (HDMI, D-sub, DVI-d) and graphics is integrated. I hope someone can help.. :)

Try getting the CPU out and see if it has any bent or broken pins. If it looks alright ask a friend with a PC to test it for you. 

Edit: sorry, I just read the post again and noticed you said it had no broken pins :c

Edited by Cupcakez

58 minutes ago, Luka858 said:

I had this pc for 4 years, and cleaned it from dust every year. Some times I had to reset bios, but that was due to unsuccessfull overclocking, but after returning everything to default it worked perfect.

This time I decided to change 4 year old thermal paste on my Ryzen 3 2200G (it works on Radeon Vega 8, no dedicated GPU). I did it perfectly, no paste in socket, no broken pins, grounded my self few times to prevent electric discharges, connected everything as it was.
I connected PC to peripherals and pluged it to the power outlet, at that moment blue LED (next to power button) lighted imidiately, even the pc in turned off. I wait for few seconds and turn it on. It lights BLUE and RED LED, loads bios perfectly, but has problem with loading Win 10, it shows blue screen with options like: do system recovery, reset system, etc. And I turned off and on PC several times and tried every of options. It did't help.
(I didn't want to reinstall system, or put another one because I would loose all game saves and some files in C partition)
Then I powered it off, removed powercord, reset bios with jumper, remove the battery on MB for almost an hour, put it back. Wait few minutes, give it power again and press power button.
NOTHING. All drives and fans spins, but no picture even after 10 minutes. I also conneted a working beeper, and it didn't beep even once. This time BLUE LED lighted again, but RED (for drives) didn't (probably couldn't get into bios, so it hasn't come to checking on drives yet).

Then, I removed one by one component to see if something is preventing it from boot (all components except PSU, CPU, MB and RAM). Nothnig changed.
Then I try replacing and moving RAM to diferent slots, same again: no picture, no beep, all fans and drives spins up. Maybe it's PSU, changed it with other working one, again no changes.
Then, once again I removed the coller and CPU to check if I maybe messed up with thermal paste (but then it wouldn't work at first when it turned on and bios worked, and Windows 10 had a problem, not MB). So after assuring there's no paste inside socket, turn it on, no change once again.

PC specs:
- Biostar A320MH ver 6.0
- Ryzen 3 2200G
- 16 GB @2666 MHz GEIL (2x8)
- 200 W Rhino PA500 PSU
- 120 GB Patriot sata III SSD
- 1 TB Western digital HDD

= In conclusion: when press power button it spins all fans and HDD, BLUE led lights and RED led does not, it shows no picture at all, it does not beep.
= I suspect it's MB or CPU, but would rather say it MB, because it had sevral issues in past with audio ports. But now even if it doesn't give any picture it still gives power through all USB ports and sipn up all the fans, so Idk. It might be cpu because there's no picture on any connector (HDMI, D-sub, DVI-d) and graphics is integrated. I hope someone can help.. 🙂

I had a similar issue once and it turned out something was locking the fan from spinning, but in this case it seems more like coincidence than anything. I recommend making a windows recovery usb and running the basic troubleshooter on it. You can find a lot of tutorials how on YT. But that should take care of it. Lemme know if that helps 

First time I did try with windows recovery USB, but it didn't help. Later I was clearing CMOS several times, and after that no picture at all. No even MB logo, just black screen as always. Tried different ports (hdmi, dvi-d, d-sub) on MB (cause it APU), tried different cables; nothing.

Then even add normal GPU but didn't get picture even there.

I have spent 2 days trying everything just to make it show UEFI menu at least, and then maybe install new windows, but I couldn't get it to show any sign of signal on monitor.

It's either MB or CPU dead.

MB gives power to every single fan in case, it gives power through all USB ports too. If CPU is dead I guess it would spin up fans and reset it self. But no. It just keeps spining all the fans, blue LED indicator is on all the time, and it would stay like that forever until I turned it off by holding power button down.

Last thing that I can do (except trying with another MB or CPU/APU) is to BAKE MOTHERBOARD in oven. But since brand new A320 MB is 30-40 euros, it probably isn't worth trying.

Thanks for fast response, and spending some time to read this long story I typed, trying to explain events of dealing with PC in order and as detail as I could. 

==>>  In general, right now I need info on what is more likely to be dead, MB or APU, so that I don't buy one of them for no reason.  <<==

1 hour ago, Luka858 said:

First time I did try with windows recovery USB, but it didn't help. Later I was clearing CMOS several times, and after that no picture at all. No even MB logo, just black screen as always. Tried different ports (hdmi, dvi-d, d-sub) on MB (cause it APU), tried different cables; nothing.

Then even add normal GPU but didn't get picture even there.

I have spent 2 days trying everything just to make it show UEFI menu at least, and then maybe install new windows, but I couldn't get it to show any sign of signal on monitor.

It's either MB or CPU dead.

MB gives power to every single fan in case, it gives power through all USB ports too. If CPU is dead I guess it would spin up fans and reset it self. But no. It just keeps spining all the fans, blue LED indicator is on all the time, and it would stay like that forever until I turned it off by holding power button down.

Last thing that I can do (except trying with another MB or CPU/APU) is to BAKE MOTHERBOARD in oven. But since brand new A320 MB is 30-40 euros, it probably isn't worth trying.

Thanks for fast response, and spending some time to read this long story I typed, trying to explain events of dealing with PC in order and as detail as I could. 

==>>  In general, right now I need info on what is more likely to be dead, MB or APU, so that I don't buy one of them for no reason.  <<==

How old is the CMOS battery?
Those don't last forever and you did say the system is at least 4 years old. It's worth a shot to try a new one, sounds to me from my experiences with an A320 board (Gigabyte - Athlon 220GE CPU) like it lost it's settings that were working and it's simply defaulted to stock values due to a weak/dead battery.

One thing I can suggest is to do that and see if your picture returns, A320 boards and their onboard video can be a real PITA at times.
Also try a regular graphics card before ruling the system as "Dead"  - Sometimes that can help to get it going again in cases the system is just being stubborn about wanting to work with it's onboard video alone.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.