Did I make a mistake?

Nior2008
3 minutes ago, Nior2008 said:

I tried talking with my sister but this is what she said :

Well, she said since I already have a phone from my brother's gf had given me the S20FE, I should hand over the money since I'm a kid and I don't have a 'need' and buying a Nintendo switch lite is a 'want'. 

Ps: what does 'hypothetical scenarios' mean? Sorry. 

Hypothetical is kind of "make believe" or "pretend"... but that definition doesn't really do it justice. So, "Hypothetical scenarios" means different situations which could apply, based on various possible factors.

IMO, if your grandfather already said you could spend the rest of your share on something else, then your sister does not have any leg to stand on. A brand new iPhone 14 Pro is also a "want", not a "need". She can get a used good quality iPhone for $500. Or even a brand new iPhone SE 2022 possibly under $500.

Offer to help her search for an iPhone under $500, perhaps, if you want to.

Your sister can go ask your parents or grandparents for more money if she absolutely feels like $500 is not enough.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, Nior2008 said:

I tried talking with my sister but this is what she said :

Well, she said since I already have a phone from my brother's gf had given me the S20FE, I should hand over the money since I'm a kid and I don't have a 'need' and buying a Nintendo switch lite is a 'want'. 

Ps: what does 'hypothetical scenarios' mean? Sorry. 

Hash it out more and rationalize the situation down to "it's all about wants".

She wants the latest and greatest iPhone, you want to buy a Switch, after getting the S20FE that was offered to both of you. My subjective opinion is to give a bit of your share of the money, but not split evenly, since you're getting a used phone (yeah, it's good, I have it myself even, but still).

The "hypothetical scenarios" was more about other posters in the thread.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

12 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Hypothetical is kind of "make believe" or "pretend"... but that definition doesn't really do it justice. So, "Hypothetical scenarios" means different situations which could apply, based on various possible factors.

IMO, if your grandfather already said you could spend the rest of your share on something else, then your sister does not have any leg to stand on. A brand new iPhone 14 Pro is also a "want", not a "need". She can get a used good quality iPhone for $500. Or even a brand new iPhone SE 2022 possibly under $500.

Offer to help her search for an iPhone under $500, perhaps, if you want to.

Your sister can go ask your parents or grandparents for more money if she absolutely feels like $500 is not enough.

Thanks for the explanation, I'll try to offer the help her search if she accepts. 

6 hours ago, WildDagwood said:

Hash it out more and rationalize the situation down to "it's all about wants".

She wants the latest and greatest iPhone, you want to buy a Switch, after getting the S20FE that was offered to both of you. My subjective opinion is to give a bit of your share of the money, but not split evenly, since you're getting a used phone (yeah, it's good, I have it myself even, but still).

The "hypothetical scenarios" was more about other posters in the thread.

I'll try to plan out the switch packaged set if I have left over I'll probably offer the left over then.