Chrome tabs addict question... Is there anything i can do to speed up chrome with 200-300 tabs open?

Ngamer666

Is there anything i can do to speed up chrome with 200 tabs open?

I have 64gb ddr5 and 13700k

When i reach 150 tabs it starts to be slower, only in chrome, the rest of the pc stuff is just fine and i can even play a game without too much fps drop...

It slows down a lot if 150 tabs are youtube pages, with the video paused.

Now you will say this is crazy and yes i know but i'm a music addict and i love it so much to have that many tabs open.

There is also the tabs for my work that takes at least another 50-100 tabs but theses seems to slow down chrome less than the ones using youtube even if they are not playing the video.

If Chrome is the only application being slowed down by this, then that sounds like a software limitation - basically, the Chrome program is buckling under the task of managing all of those tabs. It doesn't sound like a hardware issue, especially considering your specs.

Is there a reason you can't use bookmarks instead?

Use a couple browsers?

Chrome simply is struggling to manage it all but thatvis a software limit

Are sleeping tabs enabled? Not sure if it's a default feature on Chrome, if it isn't, look into an extension like this or consider switching to a browser with native support for it.

look at your computer resouces tools and that will tell you what the bottle neck is and what is causing it.

Also concider Firefox as it seams to be more light weight with multiple tabs lately.

I use Vivaldi which is based on Chromium so not sure if Chrome has this or not but if I right click a tab I can hibernate it and keep it but it's not active and does not use resources.

image.png.58aa0114cf02d27fe8478a12b6b8e711.png

2 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

If Chrome is the only application being slowed down by this, then that sounds like a software limitation - basically, the Chrome program is buckling under the task of managing all of those tabs. It doesn't sound like a hardware issue, especially considering your specs.

Is there a reason you can't use bookmarks instead?

Because i like to go from one tab to another quickly and i already have bookmarks lol

1 hour ago, Pixelfie said:

Are sleeping tabs enabled? Not sure if it's a default feature on Chrome, if it isn't, look into an extension like this or consider switching to a browser with native support for it.

interesting, i'll take a look thank you

1 hour ago, darkmalik88 said:

look at your computer resouces tools and that will tell you what the bottle neck is and what is causing it.

Also concider Firefox as it seams to be more light weight with multiple tabs lately.

cpu isnt even at 10% load and ddr5 at 30% load

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

I use Vivaldi which is based on Chromium so not sure if Chrome has this or not but if I right click a tab I can hibernate it and keep it but it's not active and does not use resources.

image.png.58aa0114cf02d27fe8478a12b6b8e711.png

looks like what pixelfie suggested, i'll try it

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Use a couple browsers?

Chrome simply is struggling to manage it all but thatvis a software limit

yeah, using another browser just for the youtube tabs would probably be the easiest solution

7 hours ago, Ngamer666 said:

yeah, using another browser just for the youtube tabs would probably be the easiest solution

Firefox + ublock origin and enjoy!