Which is a better deal for 12gb of vram 3060 12gb or 4070 12gb

CorkPizza
Go to solution Solved by PDifolco,
5 minutes ago, CorkPizza said:

I want to double my vram to 12gb for better 4k gaming should I get the 3060 or 4070 for good 4k gaming I'm not looking to max out the textures just get good 4k resolution on my 4k tv

VRAM isn't the only parameter, a 3060 is just nor powerful enough for 4K (unless in very light games)

You can get decent 4K gaming with a 6800XT or 3080 too

I want to double my vram to 12gb for better 4k gaming should I get the 3060 or 4070 for good 4k gaming I'm not looking to max out the textures just get good 4k resolution on my 4k tv

of the two choices a 4070 if the price is that linear

so long as you keep your settings and expectations reasonable then in terms of just the resolution both should be able to do 4k.

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

so long as you keep your settings and expectations reasonable then in terms of just the resolution both should be able to do 4k.

Which ones a better deal?

5 minutes ago, CorkPizza said:

VRAM isn't the only parameter, a 3060 is just nor powerful enough for 4K (unless in very light games)

You can get decent 4K gaming with a 6800XT or 3080 too

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Just now, PDifolco said:

it would highly depend on the game in question and the settings selected.

Most people are running off of youtuber knowledge so they immediately whack the settings to high and 4k and determine a card isn't capable of 4k based on what somebody else told them is a target frame rate vs their own opinion.

Don't get me wrong , if we're purely working under youtube influencer rules then neither card is capable of 4k game play. Though if their target is 4k resolutions and large distance scaling with the rest of the eye candy turned off then thats pretty easy for most mid tier gpu's to achieve. Again it depends how they choose to run their software.

7 minutes ago, CorkPizza said:

12 minutes ago, emosun said:

12 minutes ago, CorkPizza said:

The 4070 Ti is closer to a 3090 Ti (depending on the game), its far far more powerful than a 3060.  Its still only really a 1440p card, though your experience will vary with DLSS and tweaking some of the settings in games.

Its not like a 4090 can run 4K native on all games at 60fps either.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

29 minutes ago, CorkPizza said:

dont know but a 3060 cant do 4k "high textures" so there's simply no deal at all here, these cards arent in the same league, and not in the same gen.

this is like asking whats the better deal a lada or or Lamborghini when i want to go fast from A to B?

idk that depends on what *you* can *afford* foremost i would say!

21 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its still only really a 1440p card, though your experience will vary with DLSS

it is?  i checked reviews, most games this card has no issues with 4k, still gets over 100fps often, and with or without DLSS even. Also DLSS2 isn't bad usually,  even DLSS3 isn't that bad, increases latency but lets be honest thats not something most people care about,  especially at 4k. 

8WGqWnqcoLEPm9tLezQUwD-650-80.png.webp.881864f57814cc4c93af017a627aa9b9.webp

Actually my 3070 has no issues playing most games i tried at "4k" ... (of course i typically don't do that, heat, power consumption, noise isn't really worth it at all to me)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

20 minutes ago, emosun said:

it would highly depend on the game in question and the settings selected.

Most people are running off of youtuber knowledge so they immediately whack the settings to high and 4k and determine a card isn't capable of 4k based on what somebody else told them is a target frame rate vs their own opinion.

Don't get me wrong , if we're purely working under youtube influencer rules then neither card is capable of 4k game play. Though if their target is 4k resolutions and large distance scaling with the rest of the eye candy turned off then thats pretty easy for most mid tier gpu's to achieve. Again it depends how they choose to run their software.

Well I'm talking from personal experience : my 3080 is barely able to run 60FPS on CP2077 Ultra RT+DLSS at UQHD, so I'm pretty sure it'll be bad at 4K

Sure that's an extreme example of demanding game, but ppl getting 4K now expect to be able to play upcoming games that are becoming even more demanding

So I won't recommend anything under a 3070Ti or 6800 for 4K gaming "in general", given that FPS players that want max framerates just don't use 4K

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

7 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

that are becoming even more demanding

honestly you should probably say "badly optimized" or better yet you shouldn't think a game like that is becoming the norm how games perform. 

personally i don't expect games to become really more demanding in the coming years... the trend just isn't going in that direction,  games are stagnant more or less since years... they mostly often use ps2 quality textures and stuff... advertising is way more important than graphical fidelity,  so thats where most of the investments go. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

my 3080 is barely able to run 60FPS on CP2077 Ultra RT+DLSS at UQHD

well yeah of course it can't do that.....

44 minutes ago, emosun said:

so long as you keep your settings and expectations reasonable

this is why you don't just hit the ultra button and expect a miracle to happen. pick settings that cater to your spec.

high vram but low gpu processing speed will lean heavy toward high resolution/polygons/textures and skew away from post processing tasks. so if you just wacked everything to ultra and didn't crosscheck what any of the settings are loading on the hardware...... then yeah it'll run bad. basically this

36 minutes ago, emosun said:

youtuber knowledge so they immediately whack the settings to high and 4k and determine a card isn't capable of 4k

but also

7 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

given that FPS players that want max framerates just don't use 4K

the op never specified fps or frame rates , so don;t make hardware recommendations based on assumptions.

or do , it's not your money so what do you care.

@OP Welcome to the forums!

50 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

a 3060 is just nor powerful enough for 4K (unless in very light games)

This is 1000% true. I have a 3060Ti in my HTPC and it does a reasonable job of putting out 4k120 (LG C1) in couch party games, but it *chugs* on anything remotely heavy. 
Even my main rig's 3080ti will struggle to get 80FPS on modernish titles

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

My 1660 ti can do 4k easily enough I believe 12gb of vram can do 4k much better

1 hour ago, emosun said:

well yeah of course it can't do that.....

this is why you don't just hit the ultra button and expect a miracle to happen. pick settings that cater to your spec.

high vram but low gpu processing speed will lean heavy toward high resolution/polygons/textures and skew away from post processing tasks. so if you just wacked everything to ultra and didn't crosscheck what any of the settings are loading on the hardware...... then yeah it'll run bad. basically this

but also

the op never specified fps or frame rates , so don;t make hardware recommendations based on assumptions.

or do , it's not your money so what do you care.

As OP didn't specify he was a FPS player and stated he wanted 4K I had good reasons to assume he was *not* a FPS player, so did advise on "general" gaming experience at 4K

If he'd said he was a FPS player I would have advised him *against* 4K

Makes some sense imo

2 hours ago, CorkPizza said:

Do don't give us your costs, so we can't give you an answer.