Is it better to hook up a NAS to a router via USB or Ethernet?

Go to solution Solved by Redportal,

You would be better hooking up both using an ethernet. You would not really need to directly hook up a NAS to your main pc, but if you really wanted I gues you could for a little extra performance and security.

So I'm pushing myself into the networking world, and I am getting the Synology DS414  NAS and I have the Asus RT-AC66U. Is it best (bandwidth and throughput wise) to hook it up to the router via Ethernet or USB 3.0? Also bonus question, my main rig has two Ethernet ports, so is it practical to have the NAS hooked up to the computer and the network, and if so should I hook it up through USB or Ethernet? I will be using it mainly, but other people on the network will also. Sorry if I am not making any sense, its just for me computers are easy and networking is hard.

Edit: Also, will hooking it up through USB cause any issues the the DSM firmware or the router firmware or anything like that? Thanks for all the help guys, sorry if I am not making any sense. 

Here is a list of common fallacies. Which ones have you used today?

You would be better hooking up both using an ethernet. You would not really need to directly hook up a NAS to your main pc, but if you really wanted I gues you could for a little extra performance and security.

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

Ethernet, no question.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

Thanks, really appreciate the advice! 

Here is a list of common fallacies. Which ones have you used today?