Planning for new ryzen 3d build

Hunlight
Go to solution Solved by venomtail,

Looked online at cases and seems like the R5 would be a choker right from the beginning.

I'd not trust a 240mm AIO as some air coolers out perform them, borderline a waste of money. Worse for you, PCPartPicker even alerts us that your AIO doesn't even support AM5 motherboards. Either hope there's a bracket available that you can buy or have the short end of the stick and spend even more on another cooler that supports both Intel, AMD and future motherboard versions.

I don't know which 3080 you have so I just picked my favorite

and you've yet to mention if you have a PSU that we can re-use. Would save some money.

German PCPartPicker, so prices and availability will be worse in Lithuania.

Something like this could work, I'd still think twice about a 240mm AIO. 280MM at a minimum.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX L240 69.34 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For €0.00) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO B650-P WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  (€228.90 @ Alza) 
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory  (€158.89 @ Alternate) 
Storage: Gigabyte AORUS Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For €0.00) 
Video Card: Asus Noctua OC GeForce RTX 3080 10GB LHR 10 GB Video Card  (Purchased For €0.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Torrent Compact ATX Mid Tower Case  (€147.89 @ notebooksbilliger.de) 
Custom: 7800X3D (€450.00)
Custom: You already have a PSU? 
Total: €985.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-26 15:54 CET+0100

Budget (including currency): 1000eur~

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming mainly, some time streaming, some photoshop/ video rendering (few times a year) but mainly gaming.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I have my rtx 3080 (unfortunately 10gb version)

my m2 1tb drive

and gammax L240 AIO
for cpu Im looking at 7800X3D
regarding new pc case Im still hesitant as Im in love with my good old fractal design R5 titanium, but Im thinkin about one of those Lionli mesh cases, but that would only be if budget would allow it.

So please suggest a good mobo for it (pref not super budget option atm using tomahawk mobo and loved it, would be great of smth that is similar quality), rams,psu and any other suggestions.

Looked online at cases and seems like the R5 would be a choker right from the beginning.

I'd not trust a 240mm AIO as some air coolers out perform them, borderline a waste of money. Worse for you, PCPartPicker even alerts us that your AIO doesn't even support AM5 motherboards. Either hope there's a bracket available that you can buy or have the short end of the stick and spend even more on another cooler that supports both Intel, AMD and future motherboard versions.

and you've yet to mention if you have a PSU that we can re-use. Would save some money.

Something like this could work, I'd still think twice about a 240mm AIO. 280MM at a minimum.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX L240 69.34 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For €0.00) 
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory  (€158.89 @ Alternate) 
Storage: Gigabyte AORUS Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For €0.00) 
Video Card: Asus Noctua OC GeForce RTX 3080 10GB LHR 10 GB Video Card  (Purchased For €0.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Torrent Compact ATX Mid Tower Case  (€147.89 @ notebooksbilliger.de) 

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

13 minutes ago, venomtail said:

PCPartPicker Part List

regarding AIO, it performs better than massive be quite tower I had, but I did not thought about brackets for AM5, makes sense. 3080 if its even matter I got msi suprim x.

regarding case u added wrong one I got R5 not torrent compact, and if will change then only for one of those lionli mesh front cases. And please let me know why my fractal is choker, it got pretty well done air flow, yes its not super open mesh case, but that was the idea for less noise. temps also seemed fine on par what I saw in the internet with all processors and gpus I had before. PSU I do have evga 750 g2 supernova. but Im using it already for years and did had quite a few power shorts (when power disappears in the building) through out the years so just to be safe want to update it too.

EDIT

just a notice I do not need wifi in my mobo if it has bigger price. Im using cabel. same for the solid, I mentioend that I have one already it was bought less than year ago.

here is a list I choice, idk about mobo, not sure which ones to look for. https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZzbYGL

37 minutes ago, Hunlight said:

regarding AIO, it performs better than massive be quite tower I had, but I did not thought about brackets for AM5, makes sense. 3080 if its even matter I got msi suprim x.

regarding case u added wrong one I got R5 not torrent compact, and if will change then only for one of those lionli mesh front cases. And please let me know why my fractal is choker, it got pretty well done air flow, yes its not super open mesh case, but that was the idea for less noise. temps also seemed fine on par what I saw in the internet with all processors and gpus I had before. PSU I do have evga 750 g2 supernova. but Im using it already for years and did had quite a few power shorts (when power disappears in the building) through out the years so just to be safe want to update it too.

EDIT

just a notice I do not need wifi in my mobo if it has bigger price. Im using cabel. same for the solid, I mentioend that I have one already it was bought less than year ago.

here is a list I choice, idk about mobo, not sure which ones to look for. https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZzbYGL

Get a UPS then. Will give you a few minutes to shut down your system in a timely manner and not damage hardware if power keeps cutting out.

CPU cooler's for AM5 I've yet to catch up, majority were still perfectly fine even for the hottest AM4 chips.

You can probably save a bit by going microATX motherboard with no wifi, but they are fugly when not in appropriately sized cases and I find Bluetooth convenient enough to keep an eye out for motherboard with built in wifi. And I have to move often and not guaranteed that new place will have Ethernet throughout the house to my room. Anyway, MSI PRO is a safe, great choice.

I'd research a bit more but I think I'd still stick by a 750W PSU. Don't thin the 3080 power spikes are that bad that an upgrade is needed just yet.

Aah, I read that as you wanting to buy a R5 case not that you already have it. When it comes to noise, investing into decent fans will have far greater results than buying a new case of equivalent cost.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

57 minutes ago, venomtail said:

I'd still think twice about a 240mm

I'd think zero times about an AIO (glances at pile of dead AIOs) and go straight for a tower cooler. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

6 minutes ago, venomtail said:

Get a UPS then. Will give you a few minutes to shut down your system in a timely manner and not damage hardware if power keeps cutting out.

CPU cooler's for AM5 I've yet to catch up, majority were still perfectly fine even for the hottest AM4 chips.

You can probably save a bit by going microATX motherboard with no wifi, but they are fugly when not in appropriately sized cases and I find Bluetooth convenient enough to keep an eye out for motherboard with built in wifi. And I have to move often and not guaranteed that new place will have Ethernet throughout the house to my room. Anyway, MSI PRO is a safe, great choice.

I'd research a bit more but I think I'd still stick by a 750W PSU. Don't thin the 3080 power spikes are that bad that an upgrade is needed just yet.

Aah, I read that as you wanting to buy a R5 case not that you already have it. When it comes to noise, investing into decent fans will have far greater results than buying a new case of equivalent cost.

regarding ups, its in the plans but for the future, not within the budget atm.
coolers idk in I picked that be quite pro 4 in pcpart picker
not a fan of micro atx to be fair as usually have less stuff on them than full boards if not expensive ones. regarding wifi or Bluetooth definitely dont need those I have one place with ethernet and never moving.

about psu, yeah u may be right that my psu is totally fine still, but idk after all those cut outs Im just afraid.

and regarding fans yes it is great, but decent fans can cost a ton and still then will need new case, so why not lian li mesh 2, as far as I know its a great one.

3 minutes ago, OddOod said:

I'd think zero times about an AIO (glances at pile of dead AIOs) and go straight for a tower cooler. 

idk its my first AIO got it almost two years ago and no complaints till now, performs amazingly, pretty silent even with those bad/loud default fans. love it so far.

1 minute ago, Hunlight said:

idk its my first AIO got it almost two years ago and no complaints till now, performs amazingly, pretty silent even with those bad/loud default fans. love it so far.

My AIOs have died at 18months, 2 at 2 years, 2 at 3 years, and one at 4. Current one in my partner's PC has lasted 3.5. None of my tower coolers has had a single issue. 
YMMV

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

3 minutes ago, OddOod said:

My AIOs have died at 18months, 2 at 2 years, 2 at 3 years, and one at 4. Current one in my partner's PC has lasted 3.5. None of my tower coolers has had a single issue. 
YMMV

hell. Im not saying they are good. but also heared quite a lot stories when they lived a long time. so again regarding cooling system Im not settled yet, as I thin the one I own doesnt have bracket for am5