Why build a gaming PC when something like GeForce Now exists?

Go to solution Solved by BondiBlue,

Remote computing is very useful for all sorts of things, gaming included, but it's not something I would want to rely on. The experience can be impacted by your internet connection, the host internet connection, the host hardware, the distance between the client and host, etc. I don't want Nvidia (or any other company, for that matter) to be in control of my gaming experience. If I want to game on the go without bringing a powerful computer with me I'll use something like Parsec to have my own remote gaming setup, but there are still the issues of internet connectivity and latency. 

If you're in an area where you basically always have a high speed, low latency internet connection then perhaps something like GeForce Now would work for you, but for someone like me without that kind of internet access it's not something I'd even consider depending on for a long time. I'd rather deal with my own hardware and not have to worry about how to access it. 

1 minute ago, ewitte said:

If you don't pay to remove the cap the overage fee in advance, I believe is $10 per 100GB.  So, if you go over 2TB that month will cost you an extra $200.   I have to be careful when I rebuild machines.  Steam is fine but I had to re-install everything on MS, EPIC, etc last time and I had to be extremely careful and still went over 200GB.

I used 1TB in the past week alone, I don't think I'd be able to deal with such silly caps on a daily basis, especially considering that I work from home.

My monthly usage is around 2~6TB, so I'm really glad that mostly a US-only thing.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

33 minutes ago, igormp said:

It still baffles me how the US have this stupid data cap thing for home connection.

Keep in mind that not all providers in the US have data caps. I have a 500 Mb/s cable connection, and my plan has zero data cap. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

36 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Keep in mind that not all providers in the US have data caps. I have a 500 Mb/s cable connection, and my plan has zero data cap. 

My cell phone doesn't but they throttle the crap out of you after 30GB.  Something like 1Mbit/s.

EDIT: It looks like I can get unlimited for free on Xfinity redoing my contract at a lower price now...

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

2 hours ago, igormp said:

I mean, you'd need to use it for over 8 years before such a monster laptop paid off, and by then it'd be already way outdated whereas such cloud service gets regularly upgraded.

Well, true.
Although in a country where internet is bleh (pretty much every non first world country I think) it doesn't matter if the cloud service gets regularly upgraded. 🤣
While paying for a better internet to be able to fully enjoy the cloud gaming unhindered means adding to the monthly cost.

But yeah... I don't like the idea of relying too much on internet connection just to play a game I guess :x

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

4 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Although in a country where internet is bleh (pretty much every non first world country I think)

I mean, many 3rd world countries have better internet than some first world ones, and I do talk from experience lol

7 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

While paying for a better internet to be able to fully enjoy the cloud gaming unhindered means adding to the monthly cost.

I don't think you need better internet, it's more of a matter of having a good provider. The latency won't change if you move from a 100mb to a 500mb plan on the same provider since the infrastructure is likely the same.

8 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

But yeah... I don't like the idea of relying too much on internet connection just to play a game I guess :x

That, however, is pretty much understandable, specially given that you already mentioned that internet in there isn't that good.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

2 minutes ago, igormp said:

I mean, many 3rd world countries have better internet than some first world ones, and I do talk from experience lol

I don't think you need better internet, it's more of a matter of having a good provider. The latency won't change if you move from a 100mb to a 500mb plan on the same provider since the infrastructure is likely the same.

That, however, is pretty much understandable, specially given that you already mentioned that internet in there isn't that good.

Well, that's one of the problem of my country's internet. Sucky providers as well. The infrastructure.... meh. They're all pretty much uses the same base infra IIRC.

Not to mention the effin data caps that some of them impose but that's another story for another time.

There is some providers here that has "Premium Plan" which offers better latency and all, but yeah... the price is not funny for like (What I heard from peoples who used it) 200-300ms ping to google.

Oh well I guess, nothing I can do about those 🤣

Right now I'm just happy enough my current internet isn't down 25 days out of 30, like the one I used until like 3 years ago.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Can you even mod games without local storage? No. 

Then its out of the question.

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X- Asus ROG Strix X670E-A DDR5 5600 32GB CL32 -Asus Strix Nvidia RTX 4090 -Lian Li Lancool 3
4.5TB storage; 3xM.2 NVME, 1xHDD.
MSI A1000G -Acer CB282K- Corsair H150i, Corsair fan exh, x3 Lian Li intake fans, x3 Lian Li lower fans
Corsair K57- Redragon Vampire Elite
Lenovo AMD A6/R4 Laptop

XBOX Series X, PS5, Switch, Dreamcast

Fun cars - Evo X built cammed 6266, Mustang S550 NA Cammed Cobrajet  

Well renegotiating got me 1.5Gbit unlimited data for $12 extra but I also have about $400 in equipment I no longer need...

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator