After replacing HDD windows Not booting

LoMi.
Go to solution Solved by An0maly_76,
5 hours ago, LoMi. said:

I'm guessing Op means me if so yes I am trying to make it the primary boot and i entirely removed the other hdd

Yes, OP = Original Poster. After re-reading your posts here, I agree with @MrHaydenJr, otherwise, it sounds like USB boot might be disabled in the BIOS boot order, but that should usually show an error message "No boot device detected" or something similar. If this is a slow USB thing, that machine likely has a 1.1 or 2.0 interface, which is going to be quite slow.

So today i (14 yo) tried too replace an old 90 gig hdd with a 250 gb hdd that is not formatted  because i don't have another set of sata cables and the guide i was following said i could format it from the installation USB. So i made an win 10 32 bit installation USB and replaced the hard drive with the new one changed the boot order and then tried to boot it the windows logo popped up and disappeared immediately. then all that was left on the screen was a flashing cursor/underscore does anyone know how too fix this

Specs

CPU.intel core duo e7200

PSU. 400 watt idk rating or company

Gpu. Integrated Mobo graphics g31/g33 family🤮

Mobo.ga g31m es2l 90% sure

Pls help

Your description of the issue is not clear,

Can you film a video of the issue and post it here?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

If you've only got 1 HDD connected, you shouldn't have to change boot drive order. You also mentioned you needed to format the new disk.

The new disk probably had some kind of windows on it, which was incompatible with your new hardware. What you should be doing, is press the key for selecting boot order while the pc is powering up. It will often displayed on the screen, while your PC is going trough it's start up procedure. (for my PC it's F11, you might want to check the manual for your mobo if it's not displayed)

After that, you should be able to select the USB stick, which has the installation on it. If the installation USB stick has been made correctly, it should start loading the installer. Keep in mind that an windows installation USB stick, should not just have a bunch of files on it. It needs to be set up as an bootable USB stick. That's where I had made a mistake in the past/first time trying to make an USB installer.

Hope this helps.

6 minutes ago, Budget DIY said:

If you've only got 1 HDD connected, you shouldn't have to change boot drive order. You also mentioned you needed to format the new disk.

The new disk probably had some kind of windows on it, which was incompatible with your new hardware. What you should be doing, is press the key for selecting boot order while the pc is powering up. It will often displayed on the screen, while your PC is going trough it's start up procedure. (for my PC it's F11, you might want to check the manual for your mobo if it's not displayed)

After that, you should be able to select the USB stick, which has the installation on it. If the installation USB stick has been made correctly, it should start loading the installer. Keep in mind that an windows installation USB stick, should not just have a bunch of files on it. It needs to be set up as an bootable USB stick. That's where I had made a mistake in the past/first time trying to make an USB installer.

Hope this helps.

The new disk shouldn't have any software on it because i ordered it from Amazon and didn't say any where that it would have windows pre installed and i left it in it's package till today .  I made sure that the usb drive had nothing on it is that all i had to do 

11 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Let me try again. I took out an old HDD and put in an unformatted New untouched HDD and when i tried to boot it failed and was stuck at a blinking cursor

you may not be waiting long enough, also check sata and ahci config in bios to ensure your bios is detecting the new harddrive... 

remember usb flash drives and Hard drives are slow comepared to a ssd so it may be a slow proccess...

16 minutes ago, LoMi. said:

a blinking cursor

A blinking cursor? - Do you have an example?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

I seem to remember something being said recently about some installations putting some of the files on aux storage. If that's the case here, part of the startup files are on the drive that was replaced.

Or is OP trying to make this HDD the primary boot?

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

At 1:33 in this video

https://youtu.be/frZ7L99AFIg bear in mind this is not the guide i followed

54 minutes ago, MrHaydenJr said:

you may not be waiting long enough, also check sata and ahci config in bios to ensure your bios is detecting the new harddrive... 

remember usb flash drives and Hard drives are slow comepared to a ssd so it may be a slow proccess...

I will try that tomorrow then

49 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I seem to remember something being said recently about some installations putting some of the files on aux storage. If that's the case here, part of the startup files are on the drive that was replaced.

Or is OP trying to make this HDD the primary boot?

I'm guessing Op means me if so yes I am trying to make it the primary boot and i entirely removed the other hdd

5 hours ago, LoMi. said:

Yes, OP = Original Poster. After re-reading your posts here, I agree with @MrHaydenJr, otherwise, it sounds like USB boot might be disabled in the BIOS boot order, but that should usually show an error message "No boot device detected" or something similar. If this is a slow USB thing, that machine likely has a 1.1 or 2.0 interface, which is going to be quite slow.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

8 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

I use 2.0 ports and drives all the time and it has never happened to me,

It's probably 1.1 or even 1.0 if it's that slow.

10 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

After leaving it for an hour or Soo it booted properly thank you for the help

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

I use 2.0 ports and drives all the time and it has never happened to me,

It's probably 1.1 or even 1.0 if it's that slow.

17 hours ago, LoMi. said:

Specs

CPU.intel core duo e7200

PSU. 400 watt idk rating or company

Gpu. Integrated Mobo graphics g31/g33 family🤮

Mobo.ga g31m es2l 90% sure

With a 2-core LGA775 @ 2.53 Ghz, I'm almost certain it's 1.0. Might be 1.1 if they're lucky.

Not bashing your setup, OP, just pointing out that your board may support some dirt-cheap Core 2 Quad processor upgrade options that could give this thing a shot in the arm. You can get an Intel Q9400 for like $8 on eBay right now if the board supports it.

LTT did some very interesting videos along these lines awhile back ($69 Gaming PC / $69 Gaming PC Returns / We Upgraded The $69 Gaming PC And It Rocks!) that showed there's still quite a bit that can be done to an LGA775 to have it on par with some basic LGA1155s.

The key is finding out what processors the board supports. Is it a prebuilt (Dell, HP, etc.)? If so, which model?

A primary SATA SSD would also help a bit. Long story short, I have a SATA M.2 on an NGFF adapter that plugs straight into standard SATA ports / power. Pre-loaded with Win10 (unactivated). It's a leftover from upgrading an LGA1155 workstation I wound up stripping to build a couple budget gaming PCs.

The NGFF adapter looks a bit janky, but it can be tucked away easily inside the case and it really did help quite a bit. If shipping isn't too crazy, you're welcome to it, as I no longer have a need for it. And then you could use your new hard drive for aux game storage. PM me your address if you're interested.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

7 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

The key is finding out what processors the board supports. Is it a prebuilt (Dell, HP, etc.)? If so, which model?

OP already told us, and the Q9400 is supported:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-G31M-ES2L-rev-23/support#support-cpu

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

How did I miss that? On some new meds, being drowsy and sleeping all the time is bad enough...

@LoMi.Here's that Q9400 for $8 I was talking about.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185738173596?hash=item2b3edb9c9c:g:MeYAAOSwPfdjw1Ob

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!