RAM Running at low MHz

Kenso

Hi!

After some troubleshooting, googling and black magic, i have still not found why my memory wont clock at an "advertised" speed at 4000MHz DDr4, from what i understand 1 single ram stick should run at 2000MHz when in a DDR4 setup turning it in to 4000MHz with both sticks, but correct me if i'm wrong. 

Problem: RAM speed is locked at 1200MHz, tried turning on XMP 1 and 2, this causes ram to crash, tried to manually set it to: 1200-4000 it still crashes. updating bios did not help, updating drivers did not help. Its probably a super ez fix but my know how stops here.

I'm not getting any error codes except for "after last changes pc starts in safe mode press f1 to start bios"

image.png.28c779a8d8fd80f5d8e91125ac6518d1.png

How are you getting that 1200 MHz reading?  “Black magic” is not a helpful descriptor of what might or might not have been attempted.  I suggest first you wipe the goats blood off the machine.  And put out the black candles.  

Did you activate automatic memory overclock? (Three letter acronym but it’s escaping me atm.  I hate aphasia) 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I highly recommend taking the opportunity to learn how to overclock your RAM manually, it will likely fix your issue, just give it the maximum possible safe voltage and start at a conservative 3000mhz, don't touch the timings only the speed. My ram is at 1.45v i think at 3333mhz and has been for over a year 247, doesn't even get warm. The reason i suggest this is you are probably overlooking something as it's not easy to kill a stick of RAM even if you try to. If you don't feel you are willing to do that then without being in your house and looking in your computer all i can say is check RAM is seated correctly and in the correct slots, check all cables and CPU are connected properly etc etc.

Ryzen 5 5600x @ 5GHz - RTX2060 OC'd - MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX 2 - Noctua D15-s - Corsair Crystal Series 680x - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 3333GHz - 2x 1080p Monitor @ 75Hz - 3TB Crucial MX500 SSD's - Corsair RM750x PSU - 500GB Crucial P2 M.2 NVME SSD - Arctic MX-4 TIM - Too many fans, not enough screws.

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

How are you getting that 1200 MHz reading?  “Black magic” is not a helpful descriptor of what might or might not have been attempted.  I suggest first you wipe the goats blood off the machine.  And put out the black candles.  

Did you activate automatic memory overclock? (Three letter acronym but it’s escaping me atm.  I hate aphasia) 

Hi! 

I have been using NZXT Cam (put a SS in the Original post) where it showes default frequency is at 1200, i can also use monitoring at it shows Default 1200MHZ, and current at 1199MHz.
I also have the problem where i do have 16gb but it shows that i'm using 70% of my ram at 6gb usage.

The Automatic memory overclock i belive is the XMP,  i do not remember what it stand for atm. But yes, i did try that and it only threw RAM errors at me and launched in safe mode, as soon as i turn it back to "stock" or "auto" as it says in my Bios, it works fine but it shows use of 1200mhz

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Jonny_hikingferal said:

I highly recommend taking the opportunity to learn how to overclock your RAM manually, it will likely fix your issue, just give it the maximum possible safe voltage and start at a conservative 3000mhz, don't touch the timings only the speed. My ram is at 1.45v i think at 3333mhz and has been for over a year 247, doesn't even get warm. The reason i suggest this is you are probably overlooking something as it's not easy to kill a stick of RAM even if you try to. If you don't feel you are willing to do that then without being in your house and looking in your computer all i can say is check RAM is seated correctly and in the correct slots, check all cables and CPU are connected properly etc etc.

Seams like i will need to go down that rabbit hole yes.

I Can say that i noticed i had put the ram in the wrong slot, but i belive i did that due to the CPU cooler being put in with the water cooling lines over the first slot (smart of me i know) and i have now moved them without it helping any at all, stil locked at 1200-11900MHz. 

Let se if i have the magic hands to kill a stick of ram!

Thanks!