Dual-fan GPUs can't fit in my case due to the CPU cooler. What can I do about it?

My PC is an old HP Compaq 6300 MT. It has a Q75 Express which has the PCI-e slot right below the CPU. 

I have a GALAX 1050Ti EXOC, I couldn't slot it in because the plastic shroud hits the CPU heatsink. So I had to unscrew the shroud from the GPU heatsink and just plopped it down on the heatsink diagonally. I couldn't even put the side panel back on because a small part of the shroud is poking out. I was considering a PCI-e riser and a vertical mount but this ancient case doesn't have a vertical slot. What can I do about it? Are there any weirdly shaped CPU coolers or some sort of magic bracket?

20230119_222951.jpg

I take it there isn't a lower PCIe slot? You could try to take off the CPU cooler shroud (I can't see if that'd help, I'm just guessing) and use duct tape in its place. The other option is to mount a tower cooler and hope that that fits, but I feel like it'd interfere with the side panel.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

13 minutes ago, tkitch said:

can you post a pic that shows anything inside the case?

That image here is useless to help 

Sorry 'bout that.
20230119_225216.jpg

yeah, on a mobo like that?  Not much you can do.  

A PCIE Riser cable could let you move the GPU, but you wouldn't have it inside the case at that point.  

Found a product pic. Sorry OP, you're *hosed*
On the other hand, if this is really a 3rd gen intel chip, you're really gonna have a hard time putting that 1050ti to use. 

(edit: oof, and if you did pull the upgrade to the i7, you should ignore the repaste rec below and please check your CPU temps)

If your'e dead set on this, I'd recommend first pulling the CPU cooler and repasting, because your original TIM is basically dead. Then grab a couple case fans and zip tie one to the cooler near the rear bracket and one parallel to the side panel pointing down into the gap between the cooler and the GPU heatsink. Now, that probably won't work, so I'd then pull the one near the CPU cooler, and shift the one that's in the correct orientation towards the CPU cooler as much as possible. You're likely gonna wanna run them at full power anyway so you might want to run it/them off molex

All that being said, this would be a perfectly acceptable little home server and for a bit more than the cost of modding all this, you could probably get a 6th or even 8th gen SFF workstation which will have a vastly superior CPU and (if you do your research) you shouldn't run into this problem again

c013e8db-df89-5e3b-946e-c31ba7bbf890_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1632925265

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

10 minutes ago, OddOod said:

It might be possible to cram a 120mm CLC in there, but I doubt that it's worth it.

12 minutes ago, OddOod said:

If your'e dead set on this, I'd recommend first pulling the CPU cooler and repasting, because your original TIM is basically dead. Then grab a couple case fans and zip tie one to the cooler near the rear bracket and one parallel to the side panel pointing down into the gap between the cooler and the GPU heatsink. Now, that probably won't work, so I'd then pull the one near the CPU cooler, and shift the one that's in the correct orientation towards the CPU cooler as much as possible. You're likely gonna wanna run them at full power anyway so you might want to run it/them off molex

Is this a roundabout way of saying to deshroud the GPU?

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

31 minutes ago, Bismut said:

Is this a roundabout way of saying to deshroud the GPU?

OP already pulled the fans and shroud. Though, hmmm, a butchery approach might work where they could just cut off the second fan.... N
For the record, I recommend *none* of this, just forwarding options

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

11 hours ago, OddOod said:

OP already pulled the fans and shroud. Though, hmmm, a butchery approach might work where they could just cut off the second fan.... N
For the record, I recommend *none* of this, just forwarding options

The thought crossed my head too, I was about to just ziptie a couple of Noctuas.

2 hours ago, OddOod said:

On the other hand, if this is really a 3rd gen intel chip, you're really gonna have a hard time putting that 1050ti to use. 

(edit: oof, and if you did pull the upgrade to the i7, you should ignore the repaste rec below and please check your CPU temps)

All that being said, this would be a perfectly acceptable little home server and for a bit more than the cost of modding all this, you could probably get a 6th or even 8th gen SFF workstation which will have a vastly superior CPU and (if you do your research) you shouldn't run into this problem again

c013e8db-df89-5e3b-946e-c31ba7bbf890_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1632925265

I have a 1660S coming. What would you recommend as a replacement for this prebuilt?

1961814818_rx4704gb007.thumb.jpg.f297116625e2bc79fda39dffa7802f83.jpgzip tiy a fan to it

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

8 hours ago, Franzei said:

What would you recommend as a replacement for this prebuilt?

What's your budget?

1 hour ago, OddOod said:

What's your budget?

Php17k, right around 300 dollars.

I'm not really familiar with the phillipine market, but there seem to be some pretty good deals out there. I'd recommend minimum 6th gen intel, ideally 8th. The major downside is that you are currently using DDR3 ram and these all run DDR4. The upside is that DDR4 is *cheap* right now, at least in the states. 
These Dell Optiplex 7040s could be great, but that's just an example, if you look up pics, the PCIe slot has very little breathing room. If you already have an SSD, you're probably better off buying something that has an HDD or no drive, and if you find something with minimal RAM and you can grab some else where, that's what I'd do.
The search phrase I tend to use is "used workstation". I then look at the offering (*always* check the listing for the specific CPU to expect), and google pictures of the inside of the case to see how my proposed components might fit. Then I price out how much I'm gonna spend getting it up and functional before pulling the trigger. One thing to check is if the power supply is gonna be able to support whatever GPU you want to add (more googling)