help with cable for gpu

Dk-Rampage
Go to solution Solved by Kitsan,
2 minutes ago, Dk-Rampage said:

ok i have 3 of those cables but i just wanted to know if i could use 2 or need 3 of them

Okay, as I mentioned earlier you can use two but I don't know why you would if you have three...

I have bought a PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 XTX Red Devil Limited Edition - 24GB GDDR6, it requires 3x 8 pin pcie power
I only got this type of pcie cable for my psu
can i just use 2 of them or do i need 3

6b1ef07c-fcb1-436a-995a-81ac5ba9386e.c4abbe5d59f78e013b95f37a043eb4d1.jpeg

Just now, Latvian Video said:

If you use 2, it will complain that all of them arent used and not boot.

My take on OP's question was if he could use one single and two pigtailed 8pin connectors or needs to have 3 separate PCIe cables coming out of his PSU. IF that is the case, then I would say it that one pigtailed and one solo will *MOST LIKELY* be fine. Each one of those connections on your PSU are spec'ed for (up to) 150 watts. The 7900XTX Red Devil's TBP is 355W. So, with <75W from the  PCIe slot, you won't be pulling more than 150W from either 8pin bundle, pigtailed or not. It is borderline though, so IF your PSU does have the outputs, try to use 3 separate cables. 

9 minutes ago, BennyDunk said:

My take on OP's question was if he could use one single and two pigtailed 8pin connectors or needs to have 3 separate PCIe cables coming out of his PSU. IF that is the case, then I would say it that one pigtailed and one solo will *MOST LIKELY* be fine. Each one of those connections on your PSU are spec'ed for (up to) 150 watts. The 7900XTX Red Devil's TBP is 355W. So, with <75W from the  PCIe slot, you won't be pulling more than 150W from either 8pin bundle, pigtailed or not. It is borderline though, so IF your PSU does have the outputs, try to use 3 separate cables. 

ok, it's because I'm building a brand new PC
so can I use 2 of them or do I have to buy 3 8 pin pcie cables
what will be best

I have bought this psu phanteks revolt x 1200w

58 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

If you use 2, it will complain that all of them arent used and not boot.

ok, it's because I'm building a brand new PC
so can I use 2 of them or do I have to buy 3 8 pin pcie cables
what will be best

I have bought this psu phanteks revolt x 1200w

The most logical fix is to buy another PCI-E cable, try contacting Phanteks.

I'm shocked that a 1200W PSU would also ship with only two PCI-E cables.

To answer your question directly. It will work fine with two cables, with one occupying two slots. Just don't overclock it/increase the power limit in apps like MSI Afterburner.

Monitor: Alienware AW2518HF CPU: 9900K @ 5.1GHz Heatsink: 2x360MM Custom Loop GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO RAM: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 2x8GB 4400Mhz Mobo: Asus Maximus XI Gene Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 PSU: Corsair RM1000x Storage: Seagate Firecuda 510 2TB M.2, Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 256GB M.2

2 minutes ago, Kitsan said:

The most logical fix is to buy another PCI-E cable, try contacting Phanteks.

I'm shocked that a 1200W PSU would also ship with only two PCI-E cables.

To answer your question directly. It will work fine with two cables, with one occupying two slots. Just don't overclock it/increase the power limit in apps like MSI Afterburner.

ok i have 3 of those cables but i just wanted to know if i could use 2 or need 3 of them

2 minutes ago, Dk-Rampage said:

Okay, as I mentioned earlier you can use two but I don't know why you would if you have three...

Monitor: Alienware AW2518HF CPU: 9900K @ 5.1GHz Heatsink: 2x360MM Custom Loop GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO RAM: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 2x8GB 4400Mhz Mobo: Asus Maximus XI Gene Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 PSU: Corsair RM1000x Storage: Seagate Firecuda 510 2TB M.2, Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 256GB M.2

2 minutes ago, Kitsan said:

okay, thank you for the help 🙂