Most apps that require a Microsoft login take ages to long/load, including Windows itself.

Hello,

I recently purchased a laptop from HP Omen, I have already spoken to HP about this issue and they seem unsure what to do so I have come here to ask instead. One other thing to point out is that when I first bought the laptop, this issue never used to happen.

Essentially what happens is whenever I try to use an app that requires a Microsoft login, it takes a very long time to login (sometimes up to an hour), or the app itself will take a very long time to load (most likely because its trying to log in to the Microsoft account upon the app start). Interestingly it does not happen with any office apps, but does happen with lots of pre-installed/built in apps, such as the Microsoft Store, Xbox app, Xbox console companion and even games like Minecraft (Both Bedrock edition itself and the Java launcher) and Sea of Thieves. Sometimes, this issue has even happened on the Windows login screen, which then means I have to do multiple restarts.

The account itself works completely fine on other devices, and I have tried multiple accounts/users.

I assumed this might be an issue with Windows, that was until I personally reinstalled Windows 11 (using the media creation tool), downgraded windows to Windows 10 (via media creation tool, so once again a fresh install) and then sending it to HP who also reinstalled Windows. Long story short, reinstalling Windows does not fix this issue. In fact, even in the Windows setup screen when signing into an account it takes longer than I would expect (once again, I have also tried multiple MS accounts)

One interesting thing to note, is after a specific app has loaded/signed into to Microsoft once on that boot, it will login completely fine after closing/opening it again, and the issue only happens again after restarting the laptop.

Laptop model: HP Omen 15-en1000sa

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800-H

GPU: RTX 3070

RAM: 16GB

Windows version: 22H2 (been through multiple updates, and also had the issue when trying Windows 10)

Thanks 🙂

It kinda sounds like a connection issue as it need to take alot of time to make the connection the first time after that the connection has already been made so it opens up faster. Do you use wifi or ethernet?

Hey thanks for the reply.

I'm using WiFi, but it happens on multiple WiFi networks.

Although I can understand how you might think this, its my fault for wording the last bit not very well - after logging in once on an app, it's only that app that will have normal sign in times.

For example if I log wait for the xbox app to sign in, all other times I open it after it's signed in once will work fine. Whereas if I try another app, such as the Microsoft store, I will still have the issue of the long login time.