I rent my modem, how should I upgrade?

I currently rent my modem/switch/ect. box from my cable internet service provider. With three gaming PCs in the house on wired connections and at least one tv streaming video over wifi most of the time, I'm looking to upgrade to something that I can own and will perform a LOT better that what I'm currently using. 

I have NO IDEA where to start. I honestly don't know the difference between a router and a modem, so product suggestions for what to get and a small explanation would be massively helpful. Thanks!

Attached below is an image of the cable routers and modems listed as compatible by my ISP on their website, but I am unsure of if there are more.69385937_Screenshot_20230111-223302_SamsungNotes.thumb.jpg.05e2a7ee7bfa336fb11ecc492712441e.jpg

Edited by CyprusMiraque

8 hours ago, CyprusMiraque said:

I have NO IDEA where to start.

First place to start is see if you can own your own modem. This is going to be depending on where you live in the world. In the United States for example Cable companies are required to allowed customer own modems and gateway. If you can own one its as easy as buying one and registering it with the ISP. IF you cant you may be able to put the ISP box in bridge mode and that turns the router functions off, essentially making it in to a modem and you buy what ever router you want. 

8 hours ago, CyprusMiraque said:

honestly don't know the difference between a router and a modem,

In the case of cable internet the modem takes the coax connection and converts it to Ethernet. It will pass thru an IP address. The router allows you to take that one IPv4 address the ISP gives you and share it between multiple machines via NAT. Due to NAT the router creates a private network for your home allowing you to share files and services in your home, it also generally provides a DHCP server, Firewall, maybe a switch and Wireless access point, some business routers might not include wireless AP's for example. 

What you most likely have is a gateway, a modem and router in one box. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, Donut417 said:

First place to start is see if you can own your own modem. This is going to be depending on where you live in the world. In the United States for example Cable companies are required to allowed customer own modems and gateway. If you can own one its as easy as buying one and registering it with the ISP. IF you cant you may be able to put the ISP box in bridge mode and that turns the router functions off, essentially making it in to a modem and you buy what ever router you want. 

In the case of cable internet the modem takes the coax connection and converts it to Ethernet. It will pass thru an IP address. The router allows you to take that one IPv4 address the ISP gives you and share it between multiple machines via NAT. Due to NAT the router creates a private network for your home allowing you to share files and services in your home, it also generally provides a DHCP server, Firewall, maybe a switch and Wireless access point, some business routers might not include wireless AP's for example. 

What you most likely have is a gateway, a modem and router in one box. 

That explanation really helped!

So it sounds like one of the things I need to get is a modem. My ISP here in the USA does allow me to use my own, but it sounds like I might need one from the list I added. Will I need anything else to connect our pcs over ethernet?

2 hours ago, CyprusMiraque said:

That explanation really helped!

So it sounds like one of the things I need to get is a modem. My ISP here in the USA does allow me to use my own, but it sounds like I might need one from the list I added. Will I need anything else to connect our pcs over ethernet?

You need a router as well. Unless you do another all in one unit. Id see if they have a more expansive list. Because I just seen Docsis 3.0 modems on that list. Most providers are now using Docsis 3.1 and some are about to start deploying Docsis 4.0. Docsis 3.1 can do multi gigabit download speeds (as long as the modem has a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port) if the provider supports those speeds. Comcast my ISP currently does 1.4 Gbps down 45 Mbps up, and I hear 100 Mbps upload speeds are on the way in select areas AND 2 Gbps might be deployed soon as well. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

You need a router as well. Unless you do another all in one unit. Id see if they have a more expansive list. Because I just seen Docsis 3.0 modems on that list. Most providers are now using Docsis 3.1 and some are about to start deploying Docsis 4.0. Docsis 3.1 can do multi gigabit download speeds (as long as the modem has a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port) if the provider supports those speeds. Comcast my ISP currently does 1.4 Gbps down 45 Mbps up, and I hear 100 Mbps upload speeds are on the way in select areas AND 2 Gbps might be deployed soon as well. 

I just got off the phone with my ISP, and they were actually SUPER helpful. I'll probably be going with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, as they said that some customers depending on where they are located have had issues getting a stanle connection with 3.1 modems on the network. The representative recommended an Arris SB6190, so I might go with that. 

Looks like I'll have a lot more research to do on routers though! Looks like from what I've seen, they seem to be the component that you do most of your feature-shopping for, in terms of connectivity and stuff like that?

Just now, CyprusMiraque said:

Arris SB6190, so I might go with that. 

DONT. That modem has a defect in it from Intel. Intel FUCKED up the Puma 6 chip and they were not able to fix it with software updates. They were actually sued over it, or Arris was sued. Ive heard the issue can cause latency issues.  The fact is all Puma 6 modems are effect and that would be every 32x8 channel Docsis 3.0 modem, as they all use that chipset. Id either go with a 24x8 or keep the ISP box. 

Link to a thread on DSL reports discussing the issue: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion

2 minutes ago, CyprusMiraque said:

getting a stanle connection with 3.1 modems on the network.

Its 2022, what provider cant handle Docsis 3.1?I mean shit Docsis 4.0 is about to be deployed. My guess is they have lots of interference on their coax and dont want to fix it. Because Docsis 3.1 has tighter tolerances that the signal has to run at. 

5 minutes ago, CyprusMiraque said:

ooks like from what I've seen, they seem to be the component that you do most of your feature-shopping for, in terms of connectivity and stuff like that?

Modem wise at least on cable internet are rated for speeds based on the Docsis standard, or basically what your cable company can do. For example an 8x4 modem can do 260 Mbps on the Comcast network. Charter only does 100 Mbps thru that modem, etc. Routers on the other hand are a lot more complicated. Most routers are multifunction network devices as they do NAT, DHCP, Firewall, Wireless AP, ect. Depending on features enabled can vary speeds widely. With faster connections like Gigabit and up, it becomes harder to find a router because you need to make sure the SOC can do NAT at the speeds your provider provides. My Synology RT2600AC for example is rated for a little over 850 Mbps down I believe. Which means on my 400 Mbps down connection it works flawlessly. But features like VPN servers and things like that eat in to the performance of the SOC and will cause slower speeds as a result. The issue is most router manufactures dont advertise the numbers for how fast they can do NAT, at least not consumer grade routers. So sometimes you have to do some digging. On slower connections is less of an issue. 

On 1/12/2023 at 7:13 PM, Donut417 said:

DONT. That modem has a defect in it from Intel. Intel FUCKED up the Puma 6 chip and they were not able to fix it with software updates. They were actually sued over it, or Arris was sued. Ive heard the issue can cause latency issues.  The fact is all Puma 6 modems are effect and that would be every 32x8 channel Docsis 3.0 modem, as they all use that chipset. Id either go with a 24x8 or keep the ISP box. 

Link to a thread on DSL reports discussing the issue: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion

Its 2022, what provider cant handle Docsis 3.1?I mean shit Docsis 4.0 is about to be deployed. My guess is they have lots of interference on their coax and dont want to fix it. Because Docsis 3.1 has tighter tolerances that the signal has to run at. 

Modem wise at least on cable internet are rated for speeds based on the Docsis standard, or basically what your cable company can do. For example an 8x4 modem can do 260 Mbps on the Comcast network. Charter only does 100 Mbps thru that modem, etc. Routers on the other hand are a lot more complicated. Most routers are multifunction network devices as they do NAT, DHCP, Firewall, Wireless AP, ect. Depending on features enabled can vary speeds widely. With faster connections like Gigabit and up, it becomes harder to find a router because you need to make sure the SOC can do NAT at the speeds your provider provides. My Synology RT2600AC for example is rated for a little over 850 Mbps down I believe. Which means on my 400 Mbps down connection it works flawlessly. But features like VPN servers and things like that eat in to the performance of the SOC and will cause slower speeds as a result. The issue is most router manufactures dont advertise the numbers for how fast they can do NAT, at least not consumer grade routers. So sometimes you have to do some digging. On slower connections is less of an issue. 

Is there a 3.0 modem that you would recommend?

36 minutes ago, CyprusMiraque said:

Is there a 3.0 modem that you would recommend?

The SB6141 was solid for at least 5 years with us. BUT its only any 8x4 modem so it doesnt support the fastest speeds. Ive heard good things about the CM500 I believe it was. But outside of that we are fast moving away from 3.0 modems. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The SB6141 was solid for at least 5 years with us. BUT its only any 8x4 modem so it doesnt support the fastest speeds. Ive heard good things about the CM500 I believe it was. But outside of that we are fast moving away from 3.0 modems. 

Thoughts on this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BL65HS/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AwEAAAAAAAAAAUSQ

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-cable-modem/amp/

7 hours ago, CyprusMiraque said:

I have no experience with that modem myself but Id say as long as it supplies the speeds you're paying for and its not a 32x8 modem, it probably will be fine. Its also at a price that if you need to upgrade your modem again in the future, its not all that bad. Because when and if your cable provider wants to offer Gigabit+ speeds it will have to support Docsis 3.1, or maybe Docsis 4 in the future.