AMD messed up laptop chip naming and made it more confusing for consumers.

They changed the naming for Ryzen 7000 series laptop chip, originally, you would have something like 6800H which looking form the first number" 6" you can tell that it is a 6th gen chip. This is no longer true. Now the "7" in laptop chips means nothing. For example, the R7-7715H is actually a rebranded R7-3750H a third gen ryzen instead of 7th gen or the R7-7720His actually the R7-4800H, a rebranded 4th gen. I bet you there will be online retailers marketing those as "7th gen" and misleading consumers to buy their worse laptop. 

6 minutes ago, Mackerel said:

They changed the naming for Ryzen 7000 series laptop chip, originally, you would have something like 6800H which looking form the first number" 6" you can tell that it is a 6th gen chip. This is no longer true. Now the "7" in laptop chips means nothing. For example, the R7-7715H is actually a rebranded R7-3750H a third gen ryzen instead of 7th gen or the R7-7720His actually the R7-4800H, a rebranded 4th gen. I bet you there will be online retailers marketing those as "7th gen" and misleading consumers to buy their worse laptop. 

Any links to verify? Or is this just a rant?

39 minutes ago, PC Master Blaster said:

He is right, altrough I hope it not to be true.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/18249178

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19705612

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

At no point has the purpose of component naming schemes been to communicate useful information or simplify decision-making for the consumer.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Just now, Wolly9102 said:

Never said he was wrong, I couldn't tell if he was complaining or ranting. The links help tremendously, thank you.

AMD Ryzen 7 7715H 

Memory 15.81 GB DDR4 SDRAM 933 MHz

AMD Ryzen 7 3750H

Memory 16.00 GB DDR4 SDRAM 1596 MHz

The Ram they used throws off the scores a bit but they do appear to be the same....    Must be trying to get rid of some old silicon?

4 minutes ago, PC Master Blaster said:

Must be trying to get rid of some old silicon?

I dunno. I cannot find any source of this CPU other than some chinese sites or Youtube links.

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

1 hour ago, PC Master Blaster said:

Oh, I am sorry I should be more specific. The naming scheme now consists of 4 numbers and a letter.

The first number 7 means just Ryzen 7000,

the second number ranges from 1-9. 1means Athlon sliver, 2 means Athlon gold, 3/4 means Ryzen 3, 5/6 means Ryzen 5, 7 is Ryzen 7 , 8 is Ryzen 7 or 9, 9 is Ryzen 9.

The third number ranges from 1-4, 1 means Zen 1/Zen1+, 2 mean Zen2 , 3 means Zen3/Zen3+ , 4 means Zen 4.

The fourth number is either 0 or 5, which signifies better performance with 5.

the last letters still mean the same thing. 

3 minutes ago, Mackerel said:

Oh, I am sorry I should be more specific. The naming scheme now consists of 4 numbers and a letter.

The first number 7 means just Ryzen 7,

the second number ranges from 1-9. 1means Athlon sliver, 2 means Athlon gold, 3/4 means Ryzen 3, 5/6 means Ryzen 5, 7 is Ryzen 7 , 8 is Ryzen 7 or 9, 9 is Ryzen 9.

The third number ranges from 1-4, 1 means Zen 1/Zen1+, 2 mean Zen2 , 3 means Zen3/Zen3+ , 4 means Zen 4.

The fourth number is either 0 or 5, which signifies better performance with 5.

the last letters still mean the same thing. 

Learn something new everyday! Thanks for the clarification.

12 hours ago, Middcore said:

At no point has the purpose of component naming schemes been to communicate useful information or simplify decision-making for the consumer.

Hahahaha! This should be framed and displayed proudly in every tech's cave.

I have a hard enough time keeping up with pedestrian desktop chips, desktop sockets and desktop chipsets. The mobile stuff is another level, let alone ARM offerings. All a blur to me.

On 1/6/2023 at 2:05 AM, discarded said:

Hahahaha! This should be framed and displayed proudly in every tech's cave.

I have a hard enough time keeping up with pedestrian desktop chips, desktop sockets and desktop chipsets. The mobile stuff is another level, let alone ARM offerings. All a blur to me.

well, I guess, but they messed up big time with this because originally at least in the same generation "the bigger number wins" (with the only exception I can think of being the 8086K, ) now it doesn't work that way because it's the THIRD digit that tells you how new the architecture is. You will have in the same generation bigger numbers being worse and confusing the hell out of consumers.

laptops has always had bs names. to were i dont even rember what my laptop is... its just a name and a year. and it was so hard to even find gpu specs as laptops are ALL about CPU and no ram because they all have 1 stick... thow they termal throttle any way...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links