NVIDIA officially announces GeForce RTX 40 Laptop GPU series, RTX 4090 mobile with 9728 CUDA Cores and 16GB GDDR6 memory

Summary

NVIDIA kicks off CES 2023 with their RTX 40 Laptop GPU launch. The company confirmed today it will introduce a new flagship RTX 40 mobile series for enthusiast. NVIDIA is splitting the launch of their mobile GPUs into enthusiast RTX 4090 and RTX 4080 GPUs and RTX 4070, 4060 and 4050 mid-tier graphics. 

GEFORCE-40-MOBILE2-1200x290.thumb.jpg.de155d5895d9711521466170b75c6117.jpg

RTX40-LAPTOP-SPECS-1200x448.thumb.png.dc749e727c3cf523c187d319fce28c6b.png

Quotes

NVIDIA RTX 40 series based on Ada Lovelace architecture will feature 5th Gen Max-Q technologies, such as ultra-low voltage GDDR6 memory or tri-speed memory controllers.

NVIDIA RTX 4090 Laptop GPU features AD103 GPU with 9728 CUDA cores. Such configuration is already used by desktop RTX 4080 card. Max TGP of 150W (note this does not include Dynamic Boost). NVIDIA is confirming that this card will offer 38.9 TFLOPS of single-precision compute performance, so almost the same level as desktop RTX 4070 Ti.

The RTX 4080 GPU is to feature AD104 with 7424 CUDA cores and 12GB GDDR6 memory. Just as the RTX 4090 this model will also be locked to 150W TGP, however the lowest tier variant may appear with 60W TGP.

NVIDIA RTX 4070 Laptop GPU is to feature AD106 GPU with 4608 CUDA cores, clocked up to 2.175 GHz. This card will operate within 35W to 115W range and the same range will apply to RTX 4060 and RTX 4050 class laptops. The 4070 features 8GB of GDDR6 memory across a 128-bit memory bus, and again the same configuration is used by RTX 4060.

NVIDIA’s lowest tier of RTX 40 Laptop GPUs will feature AD107 GPU. The RTX 4060 is to feature 3072 CUDA cores while RTX 4050 will debut with 2560 cores. The latter is equipped with 6GB of GDDR6 memory and 96-bit memory bus.

My thoughts

These Ada Laptop/Mobile GPUs are going to be quite impressive. The RTX 4090 Laptop GPU will have the same TFLOPS as a desktop RTX 4070 Ti, and that is said to compete with a desktop RTX 3090 Ti. There was a leak showing the RTX 4090 Laptop GPU matching a desktop RTX 3090 in Geekbench 5's OpenCL benchmark. It (the RTX 4090 Laptop GPU) was also easily 55% faster in the same test than the last gen flagship, the RTX 3080 Ti Laptop GPU. The desktop RTX 3080 was 15-25% faster than the RTX 3080 Ti Laptop GPU. So extrapolating performance undoubtedly shows that the RTX 4090 Laptop GPU could come quite close to desktop RTX 3090 Ti performance in games. The RTX 4080 Laptop GPU is also going to be no slouch either, with the last leaks putting it at about desktop 3080 Ti performance. Which doesn't seem to far off from reality now with Dynamic Boost coming into play. Intel announced their Raptor Lake mobile CPUs today, and NVIDIA is saying Laptops with the mobile RTX 4080 and RTX 4090 will start at $1999 and Laptops with the mobile RTX 4070, RTX 4060, and RTX 4050 will start at $999. 

Sources

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-announces-geforce-rtx-40-laptop-gpu-series-rtx-4090-with-9728-cudas-and-16gb-gddr6-memory

https://www.techpowerup.com/302972/nvidia-ada-lovelace-breaks-energy-efficiency-barrier-supercharges-170-laptop-designs

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-ada-lovelace-supercharges-170-laptop-designs.html

All of that is cool and all, but this really caught my eye: 

image.png.bd17b31a12f8ad3423cd090d3e25c0b9.png

Does this mean that there'll be laptops that have RTX 3080 levels of performance which can be used to play AAA+ games and still have hours of battery life left? One of the main reasons (among many others) that people don't buy "gaming" laptops is they suck up battery life way too quickly, which isn't something that can be avoided. But if this is true then I think that'll be far more impressive than getting 20% more FPS in a 12-year-old tomb raider game lol.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

36 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

NVIDIA RTX 40 series based on Ada Lovelace architecture will feature 5th Gen Max-Q technologies, such as ultra-low voltage GDDR6 memory or tri-speed memory controllers.

So basically the RTX 4090 laptop is just a "Max-Q" cut down version of desktop chips? Obviously, you're not going to get the same performance of a RTX 4090 desktop chip in a laptop for thermal/power reasons. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Doesn't mean anything especially since one manufacturer can limit the "4090" to 80W while another can limit the "4080" to 130W.

That's just NVIDIA being clowns.

Anyway there is something useful in this announcement:

4090 laptop die = 4080 Desktop die

4080 laptop die = 4070 desktop die?

4070 laptop die = 4060 desktop die?

4060 laptop die = 4050 desktop die?

4050 laptop die = 4030 desktop die?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

No more compromise Laptop gaming finally it is here. RIP desktops, unless it gets a significant upgrade  in terms of performance atleast 2-3 gen ahead. 

This is definitely just another marketing over intelligent thought situation. If it has the specs of a 4080, call it a 4080. I thought they would have learned something from unlaunching a major card over naming stupidity.

How much longer will Nvidia need to lose sales before they just fire the marketing staff making these terribly received info dumps?

I guess they are just repurposing the 4080s they can't sell for their GeForce Now rack systems. Hopefully the 4080m (never calling it a 4090laptop) just flops as hard as the 40-cough cough-70ti and 4080 are destined to.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

28 minutes ago, lostcattears said:

No more compromise Laptop gaming finally it is here. RIP desktops, unless it gets a significant upgrade  in terms of performance atleast 2-3 gen ahead. 

I'm sure people enjoy listening to jet engine sounds coming from the laptop just to play a game at lowest settings. At least a chonky laptop can fit a suitable cooler. The thin-and-light trash that we've been sold for the last 5 years have these ultra-crappy fans that wear out after 9 months and then sound like a death rattle.

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

I'm sure people enjoy listening to jet engine sounds coming from the laptop just to play a game at lowest settings. At least a chonky laptop can fit a suitable cooler. The thin-and-light trash that we've been sold for the last 5 years have these ultra-crappy fans that wear out after 9 months and then sound like a death rattle.

Oh wow. Have you even looked at any of the recent gaming laptops from Lenovo, Asus, MSI? They are so much more powerful yet are not too bulky, still provide around 6-7 hours of battery life in non-gaming workloads and the fans don't even sound like jet engines anymore.

I have a Legion 5 Pro with an RTX 3070 which is somewhere in the performance level between the desktop RTX 3060Ti and RTX 3070. It is very easily able to hit ~80-90 FPS on Forza Horizon 5 on Ultra settings at 1440p and around 70-80 FPS on COD MW2 on Ultra settings at 1080p. And these numbers are without DLSS or any other image reconstruction tech. While being just 2.5kgs in weight (around 3.3 with adapter).

The Legion Slim series is even more impressive. 

My point being, you can get a very good performance in a laptop now and the days of playing games on lowest settings while the fans sounding like engines are gone, unless you are trying to use 6-7 years old laptop to play recent titles.

3 hours ago, NemesisPrime_691 said:

Oh wow. Have you even looked at any of the recent gaming laptops from Lenovo, Asus, MSI?

My "Asus" laptop is the one I'm complaining about. Why is it there are people on this forum who seem to have a knee jerk reaction to people who have actual experience, that contradicts the lies they've been told by manufacturers?

You may want to turn the volume down, as it was recorded with a Yeti X plugged into a different computer. The microphone is aimed directly at the laptop keyboard.

They are so much more powerful yet are not too bulky, still provide around 6-7 hours of battery life in non-gaming workloads and the fans don't even sound like jet engines anymore.

That is what the laptop sounds like as soon as you do anything. That is a RTX 2070 in an ASUS GX701GWR

My point being, you can get a very good performance in a laptop now and the days of playing games on lowest settings while the fans sounding like engines are gone, unless you are trying to use 6-7 years old laptop to play recent titles.

BS.

This is a repeated, recurring problem on every Dell laptop after 9 months of use as a desktop replacement. I don't expect very much of Dell, but this is the same scenario repeated over and over regardless of model and brand. The only thing separating a "good laptop" from a rubbish laptop is how much plastic is used.

The fans dying literately go from "Whoosh" to "death rattle" and if you're unlucky, which I was not able to get the laptop to do this time, it does this really loud death rattle that you'd associate normally with ball bearing fans.

That Asus Zephyrus has fans that look like this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/353503017261

They're not any different from dell fans.

I also have an older Lenovo laptop that is thicker with a GTX 1050. That one is loud, but that is loud from the fans ramping to 100% immediately when you load a game, where as the Asus fans just constantly switch between idle-rattle and power rattle like this:

That is at the same recording volume as the one above but now it's furmark.

My desktop 3090 with the fans fully ramped is nowhere near as loud.

6 hours ago, lostcattears said:

its literally compromised by space and thermals and always will be. 

Honestly, with the thermals and cost of things like phoenix and dragon range, I wonder what the market for nvidia on mobile even will be through 2023. 
Laptops are meant to be portable, and the performance available from the two AMD chips, will meet 98% of the needs of purchasers, while maintaining... portability. 

meh, with the existence of the Deck, gaming laptop are a dead breed for me.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

Why is it there are people on this forum who seem to have a knee jerk reaction to people who have actual experience, that contradicts the lies they've been told by manufacturers?

Aren't you doing the same and contradicting his experience?

Oh wow. Have you even looked at any of the recent gaming laptops from Lenovo, Asus, MSI? They are so much more powerful yet are not too bulky, still provide around 6-7 hours of battery life in non-gaming workloads and the fans don't even sound like jet engines anymore.

I have a Legion 5 Pro with an RTX 3070 which is somewhere in the performance level between the desktop RTX 3060Ti and RTX 3070. It is very easily able to hit ~80-90 FPS on Forza Horizon 5 on Ultra settings at 1440p and around 70-80 FPS on COD MW2 on Ultra settings at 1080p. And these numbers are without DLSS or any other image reconstruction tech. While being just 2.5kgs in weight (around 3.3 with adapter).

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 hours ago, Birblover12 said:

All of that is cool and all, but this really caught my eye: 

image.png.bd17b31a12f8ad3423cd090d3e25c0b9.png

Does this mean that there'll be laptops that have RTX 3080 levels of performance which can be used to play AAA+ games and still have hours of battery life left?

Nope. Look at the powers listed. I have to presume they're comparing desktop 3080 (320W nominal) which gives the 4070 laptop parts around 100W to keep up, and you'll still want to be connected to the wall to run that for any amount of time.

Taking the 4070 listed range of 35W to 115W, I'd presume it'll be on the low end of that in battery mode. Allowing for other things like CPU and screen I think you might be pushing 2 hours at best, based on the 80Wh battery of my average-ish 15" laptop. Maybe a 17" can stretch it some more. If it let you run full power on battery (most wont) you'd burn through it in no time.

5 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

How much longer will Nvidia need to lose sales before they just fire the marketing staff making these terribly received info dumps?

What sales are they losing? Fans of either side will get either side regardless. Those not so tied may view the options available to decide. When the current competition is AMD, there isn't much of a choice. Based on Steam Hardware Survey from November 2022 the 30 series LAPTOP GPUs alone were 7.9% overall. Everything AMD in use comes to 15.2%. AMD product isn't that bad but they're not trying to drive significant volume, and until they do nvidia is free to set the pace.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

58 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Aren't you doing the same and contradicting his experience?

Read the room. I have laptops from the very manufacturers the poster claimed were not a problem. I also have years of experience with laptops. This is a recurring problem on the forum, years of experience gets ignored by a poster wanting to try the "hey have you tried not using old kit?" argument when nothing has changed in this regard since 2008. Gaming laptops BAD. Business "portable workstations" are BAD. Every single thing-and-light laptop, without exception, is BAD, as they only retain that NOT BAD behavior for a few months, and then the fans either ramp to 100% immediately, or they throttle back the performance in order to save themselves.

When every "thin" laptop has to have it's cooling replaced, without exception within months where as thicker, older laptops had much longer lifespans, because the laptops didn't heat up so nearly as much.

"Desktop replacement" has not, and never been a viable thing. "Gaming desktop replacement" even less. You are making either a substantial performance sacrifice for performance equal to a entry-level desktop, or you are buying a laptop you can't even use "as a laptop" in order to use it as a desktop replacement.

It has never been cost effective to have a gaming laptop, that you use as your sole computer. Laptops have never, ever, been designed to work like this, and the thin-and-light models were not designed for 8-hour gaming sessions let alone workstation business needs. Yet the people making the purchasing decisions seem to think smaller is cheaper, so you get these people with 14/15" thin laptops running AutoCAD that you can hear from half way across the building.

The most frequent complaint from the switchover from desktops to laptops by multi-billion dollar engineering firm is that the laptops are "loud", so much that people on conference calls complain that they can't hear the person... and they are wearing a noise canceling headset.

Do you not see the problem?

A thin laptop that is not noise-free at idle, and can't keep itself under 60 degrees, is not a good design.

10 minutes ago, Kisai said:

I have laptops from the very manufacturers the poster claimed were not a problem. I also have years of experience with laptops.

and so does the poster and doesn't claim to have those noise issues.

11 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Gaming laptops BAD. Business "portable workstations" are BAD. Every single thing-and-light laptop, without exception, is BAD, as they only retain that NOT BAD behavior for a few months, and then the fans either ramp to 100% immediately, or they throttle back the performance in order to save themselves.

can say the same even for laptops who have to dGPU of any kind. Work elitebook, only has it's 8th gen intel processor, goes jet engine the moment i open outlook. Personal MacBook Pro at home, doesn't sound like a jet engine but instead of a laptop it becomes a booktop cause it's silence is too uncomfortable for my lap. 

15 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Do you not see the problem?

No. Cause i set my expectations accordingly. 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

No. Cause i set my expectations accordingly. 

My expectation is that the laptop fans should last the expected lifetime of the laptop which is around 6 years. NONE, have EVER come close to that. All that has happened with laptops getting hotter and thinner is that the usable lifespan of the laptop has gotten shorter.

16GB of VRAM.

The M2 Max will start at 32GB and top at 96GB of shared memory. If only macOS had more than 3 AAA games a year and games could leverage such an outrageous amount of memory..

40 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Read the room. I have laptops from the very manufacturers the poster claimed were not a problem. I also have years of experience with laptops. This is a recurring problem on the forum, years of experience gets ignored by a poster wanting to try the "hey have you tried not using old kit?" argument when nothing has changed in this regard since 2008. Gaming laptops BAD. Business "portable workstations" are BAD. Every single thing-and-light laptop, without exception, is BAD, as they only retain that NOT BAD behavior for a few months, and then the fans either ramp to 100% immediately, or they throttle back the performance in order to save themselves.

When you say nothing has changed, you are clearly being ignorant. There are good laptop cooling designs and there are bad laptop cooling designs. I have always considered laptops as a complete package and with adequate research on the types of cooling they have and how cool they can keep the components. 

Before my Legion 5 Pro, I have had 2 other laptops, one was gaming from HP and the other was a normal thin and light with a dGPU from Acer. They were by no means high end laptops, but they still delivered the same experience as when I had first bought them till the time I sold them off. Hell, both the laptops were sold to my friends/family and they are still using it, with the thin and light one still being used for college education around 6 years later.

46 minutes ago, Kisai said:

When every "thin" laptop has to have it's cooling replaced, without exception within months where as thicker, older laptops had much longer lifespans, because the laptops didn't heat up so nearly as much.

There is a very high possibility that you have just been unlucky with your laptops. If what you say is true and every thin and light needs cooling replacements within a few months, then there would not have been such a huge market for them. 

47 minutes ago, Kisai said:

It has never been cost effective to have a gaming laptop, that you use as your sole computer. Laptops have never, ever, been designed to work like this, and the thin-and-light models were not designed for 8-hour gaming sessions let alone workstation business needs. Yet the people making the purchasing decisions seem to think smaller is cheaper, so you get these people with 14/15" thin laptops running AutoCAD that you can hear from half way across the building.

I definitely agree that one will get a much better price/performance building a desktop at the same price range as a good gaming laptop, but I bought a laptop because I needed one. I am constantly moving between cities and need my computer with me. I am also planning to go to a different country this year and I hate to think the pain it might have been to carry huge gaming desktop with me, alongwith the peripherals such as a monitor.

52 minutes ago, Kisai said:

The most frequent complaint from the switchover from desktops to laptops by multi-billion dollar engineering firm is that the laptops are "loud", so much that people on conference calls complain that they can't hear the person... and they are wearing a noise canceling headset.

A thin laptop that is not noise-free at idle, and can't keep itself under 60 degrees, is not a good design.

At this point you are just exaggerating. Or thinking about laptops like the Acer Predator 21X, which were never designed to be used as a laptop for normal people. Also, most, if not all gaming laptops these days have some form of fan control software built-in or a third party one available. I have set mine to never turn on fans unless the temps go above 50-55C and it never does whenever I am browsing or watching Netflix/Prime Video or even doing light office work.

3 hours ago, Kisai said:

My "Asus" laptop is the one I'm complaining about. Why is it there are people on this forum who seem to have a knee jerk reaction to people who have actual experience, that contradicts the lies they've been told by manufacturers?

You may want to turn the volume down, as it was recorded with a Yeti X plugged into a different computer. The microphone is aimed directly at the laptop keyboard.

That is what the laptop sounds like as soon as you do anything. That is a RTX 2070 in an ASUS GX701GWR

The fans dying literately go from "Whoosh" to "death rattle" and if you're unlucky, which I was not able to get the laptop to do this time, it does this really loud death rattle that you'd associate normally with ball bearing fans.

That Asus Zephyrus has fans that look like this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/353503017261

Lies told by the manufacturers? Mate I am speaking from my personal experience and I never believe whatever crap manufacturers say about their laptop cooling solutions. I always rely on 2-3 laptop review sites/reviewers before making my personal buying decisions.

Sure, your laptop does sound like a jet engine. Have you ever once cleaned the fans? Using it on a proper flat surface so that fans are not choking for air intake? Have you set your laptop to always run in Performance/Ultra mode or whatever it is called in the Asus Armoury Crate software?

3 hours ago, Kisai said:

This is a repeated, recurring problem on every Dell laptop after 9 months of use as a desktop replacement. I don't expect very much of Dell, but this is the same scenario repeated over and over regardless of model and brand. The only thing separating a "good laptop" from a rubbish laptop is how much plastic is used.

Jeez mate, calm down with the exaggaration. You think every model and brand has this problem? Everyone of the millions/billions of people using laptops in the world have the same problem after 9 months? Have you tested every model of every brand of laptop under the sun? 

Look mate, I am not trying to start a war here, nor am I invalidating your experience. But you speaking about every model/brand having the same problem as you are currently having or had with your laptop purchases is a gross generalization. You might also have to accept the fact that you have been extremely unlucky with the fans on your laptops over the years or either there is something else contributing to this repeating issue on every one of your laptop.

That being said, I am again interested in seeing the performance and thermals of the individual laptops with RTX 40 series cards before I start recommending them to my friends/families who need them.

58 minutes ago, Kisai said:

My expectation is that the laptop fans should last the expected lifetime of the laptop which is around 6 years. NONE, have EVER come close to that. All that has happened with laptops getting hotter and thinner is that the usable lifespan of the laptop has gotten shorter.

Have yet to experience a laptop needed the fan to be replaced, and i'm on a 11 year old MBP. Workplace has never done any maintenance on the Elite i'm using. Maybe it's a you problem, and not the general rule, i don't know 🤷‍♂️.

10 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

RTX40-LAPTOP-SPECS-1200x448.thumb.png.dc749e727c3cf523c187d319fce28c6b.png

I hate that Nvidia allow such wide range of power limit and most oem won't advertise the GPU power limit, a 115w 4050 could probably perform like a 35w 4070. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 hours ago, NemesisPrime_691 said:

Sure, your laptop does sound like a jet engine. Have you ever once cleaned the fans? Using it on a proper flat surface so that fans are not choking for air intake? Have you set your laptop to always run in Performance/Ultra mode or whatever it is called in the Asus Armoury Crate software?

"cleaning the fans" is not something people in office environments do. The return the laptop and it goes on the shelf.

My personal laptops, I cleaned the the fans frequently. That does not solve the noise problem after a few months.

Jeez mate, calm down with the exaggaration. You think every model and brand has this problem? Everyone of the millions/billions of people using laptops in the world have the same problem after 9 months? Have you tested every model of every brand of laptop under the sun? 

Yes. Because people just put up with the noise thinking it's supposed to sound that way. Which seemingly you seem to feel is acceptable.

In no situation is it acceptable for a laptop cooling to be louder than a desktop. The fans are smaller, they make more noise.

Look mate, I am not trying to start a war here, nor am I invalidating your experience. But you speaking about every model/brand having the same problem as you are currently having or had with your laptop purchases is a gross generalization. You might also have to accept the fact that you have been extremely unlucky with the fans on your laptops over the years or either there is something else contributing to this repeating issue on every one of your laptop.

Am I really unlucky 60 times in a row? No, I don't think so. I've owned 3 laptops, and they've only gotten worse over time, with that ASUS laptop making that kind of noise within weeks of using it, even before I replaced the battery.

When these users get the laptops new, the laptops are usually noisy right out of the box because they were shipping them with the power management settings turned off. Turn that back on, and they now are 0db at idle. 

I'm not kidding or exaggeration when I say "ALL" those thin and light laptops do that, because those tiny fans generate far more noise than bigger fans do. You can go test this for yourself and compare the tiny laptop fans to the 120mm fans more typical on a desktop.

https://jarrods.tech/laptop-fan-noise/

9th to 12th gen Intel laptops with RTX 20 series to 30 series have sound levels of around 60db at full tilt and 38 at idle. 60db is considered regular speaking volume, or the same volume as an electric razor or toothbrush.

The quietest laptop are 30db (Ryzen iGPU) at idle or 36db full tilt (Iris Graphics)

The Asus and Dell's on that list are in the middle of the list when ordered by noise.

That being said, I am again interested in seeing the performance and thermals of the individual laptops with RTX 40 series cards before I start recommending them to my friends/families who need them.

The entire point of my argument here is that laptops have long since become too hot, and too loud to be useful as "a portable" (which dGPU models turn off the dGPU in favor of the iGPU) or a "desktop replacement" (in which the dGPU is always in use, and thus the dGPU fans are always running if they're being used like a desktop.)

Like it surprises me that there are not regulations on thermal output for computing devices. It's really kinda awkward knowing that a laptop puts out like 800BTU which is already well into "space heater" territory.

8 hours ago, Kisai said:

You must have missed out on the Compaq Presario back when they had the option of Northwood P4 (mobile and desktop) or Athlon. That's a desktop replacement model that withstood the test of time in regard to reliability.

Also the Asus U38N with its Trinity A8-4555M had its fans outlast the keyboard and touchscreen. They both failed before the fan did. There will always be parts that have manufacturing defects. Eg. one of the fans on my GTX 970 G1 Gaming just up and died suddenly despite it being only a few years old - and I solved the issue by oiling the fan bearing (until I killed my HD7970 and swapped the fan out). While my GTX 650ti OC 2GB has never had any issues - and all fans were made by Powerlogic.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

20 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

So basically the RTX 4090 laptop is just a "Max-Q" cut down version of desktop chips? Obviously, you're not going to get the same performance of a RTX 4090 desktop chip in a laptop for thermal/power reasons. 

Well there are regular versions of the Laptop GPUs with higher power and Max-Q versions of the Laptop GPUs with lower power. Obviously you're not getting RTX 4090 desktop performance out of the RTX 4090 Laptop GPU. The silicon on the RTX 4090 Laptop GPU is the same as the desktop RTX 4080. While this 4090 Laptop GPU isn't going to get the same performance as an RTX 4090 desktop chip, it should perform around RTX 3090 desktop levels which is pretty impressive, IMO. 

10 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

I hate that Nvidia allow such wide range of power limit and most oem won't advertise the GPU power limit, a 115w 4050 could probably perform like a 35w 4070. 

And these numbers that they are listing don't even account for Dynamic Boost. 

8 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Well there are regular versions of the Laptop GPUs with higher power and Max-Q versions of the Laptop GPUs with lower power. Obviously you're not getting RTX 4090 desktop performance out of the RTX 4090 Laptop GPU. The silicon on the RTX 4090 Laptop GPU is the same as the desktop RTX 4080. While this 4090 Laptop GPU isn't going to get the same performance as an RTX 4090 desktop chip, it should perform around RTX 3090 desktop levels which is pretty impressive, IMO. 

Seems a little misleading to market a desktop RTX 4080 and call it a RTX 4090 in a laptop. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 hour ago, CommanderAlex said:

Seems a little misleading to market a desktop RTX 4080 and call it a RTX 4090 in a laptop. 

not really. 4090 means "THE BEST", and the rest of the stack falls in line. 
there is no way to put a desktop 4090 into a laptop and it be anything reasonable.