How to fix crackling audio on Core 2 Duo- era Dell Latitudes

da na

This is an issue I've run into myself on several machines and recently solved, so I figured I can't be the only one with this issue.

From what I have found online, if you are running Windows 10 version 1804 or above this issue will occur. Most Latitude models 2006-2010 use the same IDT audio chip and are prone to this issue (that issue being the audio crackling, distorting, et cetera every few seconds on internal speakers/headphones).

How to fix:

Go to BIOS. (Press F12 on startup when given the option, navigate to BIOS setup in the menu that comes up.)

Go to System Configuration > Miscellaneous Devices and disable eSATA.

Make sure you click "Apply" before exiting the BIOS. 
Your sound problems should now be solved. Worked for me on latitude E6400, E4200, and E6410. 

• 2 months later...

Hi man!

I've just registered to tell you that your solution WORKS!!!

I mean - Who would even thought??? Since aforementioned laptop (E6500 on my side, to be precise) was enforced to perform update from W7 to W10 I thought the latter is responsible for 'glitchy sound' problem because of all the bloat that is provided right after install/update. Never thought that it could be related to some BIOS settings, especially related to eSATA that would not work properly after some W10 update.

I did what you've mentioned & the sound is 'non-glitchy' as it should be.

You the real MVP!!!

Kudos & cheers!!! 🙂

Just now, jolazbb said:

Hi man!

I've just registered to tell you that your solution WORKS!!!

I mean - Who would even thought??? Since aforementioned laptop (E6500 on my side, to be precise) was enforced to perform update from W7 to W10 I thought the latter is responsible for 'glitchy sound' problem because of all the bloat that is provided right after install/update. Never thought that it could be related to some BIOS settings, especially related to eSATA.

I did what you've mentioned & the sound is 'non-glitchy' as it should be.

You the real MVP!!!

Kudos & cheers!!! 🙂

Sweet! Glad to hear it works. 

E6500 is a pretty solid machine, glad to hear people are out there still using it. 

This one is right now used by me after it was passed from my brother-in-law to my father, then to me.

Needed some updates (like more RAM & SSD) & has some defects (powering on is kinda struggle, I know how to power it on now, but I think traces on mobo can be broken somewhere), but when it is on, it still keeps pretty solid I guess.

Now I'm trying to prepare it to be used as side-machine for some OBS streaming (although it gonna not be using OBS itself  there, more like some other apps & some side webapps to moderate streams & such).

But yeah, thanks once again! 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing stuff, I deal with older Dells regularly, but I don't even try to run Win10 on them.

If they have decent Ram, I load windows 7, with the older ones it's XP all the way. I then load them up with KIWIX and wikipedia offline and as many early 2000s games as I can fit. they then go out to schools and rural families in Africa

1 hour ago, The 8-Bit Time Traveller said:

Amazing stuff, I deal with older Dells regularly, but I don't even try to run Win10 on them.

If they have decent Ram, I load windows 7, with the older ones it's XP all the way. I then load them up with KIWIX and wikipedia offline and as many early 2000s games as I can fit. they then go out to schools and rural families in Africa

A fantastic new life for these machines, good on you for doing two good deeds with these machines.