CPU/Mobo suggestions for quick server standup?

VioDuskar

Budget (including currency): $500-800 USD

Programs or workloads that it will be used for: Windows Server Installation

I'm planning on making a windows server installation to host a few hobby websites, nothing too intense, but i want some physical cores for VM  installations.

I've got a spare server chassis handy, with a spare power supply and probably some extra drives hanging around too. 
I just need a motherboard, CPU, and RAM. I'd prefer a motherboard with a few PCI-e rails as i've got a SATA expansion card and NIC cards i'd like to put in the chassis. 
chassis for refference: Silverstone RM400 - https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/server-nas/RM400/
PSU: some generic 700W PSU
Graphics: bonus if the CPU has onboard with HDMI out. otherwise i'll slap an old GPU in it. 

my limitations are the ATX or SSI-CEB form factors. 

motherboards/cpu can be either consumer or server, as long they fit in the chassis, RAM can be unbuffered or ECC.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

50 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

-snip-

nevermind, found a pretty decent combo on an ATX and an i9 for $350USD
i popped in 64GB of RAM and a cheaper PCIe-gen4 M.2 and i'm in business. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4530299

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

The only time you need a keyboard, mouse and monitor for your server is during initial installation because everything thereafter can be done without one.

I also HIGHLY suggest using RAID system, either RAID 5 or RAID 10, along with offsite data storage, as protection from data loss.

Functionally as long as you have a good Ethernet connection and 32Gb RAM, nothing else really matters.

2 minutes ago, Thomas4 said:

The only time you need a keyboard, mouse and monitor for your server is during initial installation because everything thereafter can be done without one.

I also HIGHLY suggest using RAID system, either RAID 5 or RAID 10, along with offsite data storage, as protection from data loss.

Functionally as long as you have a good Ethernet connection and 32Gb RAM, nothing else really matters.

I have a rack already built with a KVM, i just need to wire it all up and put the components in the chassis i have. I really just made this thread so someone can help me look for a deal. 

I'm not doing a RAID, but i'll be backing everything up to my NAS server nightly. 

my NAS is currently running a windows VM and i want to move that VM to dedicated hardware, because windows is not stable as a VM under TrueNAS.