Overclock amd fx 8350

I was wondering if anyone could help me safely overclock my cpu? I watched Jay's 2 cents video on it and my swtting didn't line up with his. I'm looking for someone to bring me to 4 4 from 4.0.

The voltage someone else used may not be the same as your setup even if the components are the same models. Parts could degrade over time and you may require more voltage. You will have to decide if that is something you are willing to risk when it comes down to overclocking.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

27 minutes ago, Computersarethebest said:

I was wondering if anyone could help me safely overclock my cpu? I watched Jay's 2 cents video on it and my swtting didn't line up with his. I'm looking for someone to bring me to 4 4 from 4.0.

What is your Goal?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Starting from stock, you want to incrementally increase your CPU frequency (typically via your CPU multiplier if at all possible). Check that your system boots, run a stress test. Assuming the system does not crash in the first few seconds of testing you can keep moving forward. Start with larger increments (200-300mhz), and move towards smaller ones (100mhz or lower) as you inch towards 5ghz.

If you encounter instability at any point you'll need to raise your core voltage. 20-50mV increments are a good choice. Start monitoring your temps during testing to make sure you aren't running things too hot. Assuming you're stable enough you can start touching clocks again. 

Something to note: during any overclock you'll find that you'll initially be able to raise clocks easily, with little to no additional voltage being necessary. You will eventually need to raise them though. Eventually you'll reach a wall, with even small frequency bumps requiring a lot more voltage. This is your chip's limit, give or take a few mhz. 

Find a frequency you're comfortable with (sometimes picking a frequency a hair below it's limit is advisable to maintain some semblance of efficiency, or otherwise just for Temps).

Run your stress test for longer (eg 15minutes). If you're stable you'll want to start reducing your core voltage a bit. Test for stability again, and repeat until your OC becomes unstable. By this point you'll want to stress your chip for an hour or more (ideally >12hours) to REALLY check for stability. Congrats, you're done. 

A few extra tips:

• Every chip is different. Don't try to copy-paste someone else's results. 
  • Assuming you're using an air cooler or AiO, I wouldn't worry too much about "safe" voltages. Your limiting factor here will be temperature anyway.

A good fx8350 can do 5ghz with proper cooling. I would advise aiming for a more conservative OC if you don't have a 990fx board though... 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

My goal is to run 4k video smoothly, when I play certain content on vlc my cpu usage goes to 100%. I have a new gpu coming but we'll see If that changes anything.

Stay away from voltages over 1.4v, most cpus wont last long at high voltage especially older ones

11 hours ago, Guyg69 said:

Stay away from voltages over 1.4v, most cpus wont last long at high voltage especially older ones

If speaking about Intel, this is correct but we're not talking about an Intel chip, we're discussing an FX chip so ^this^ is wrong related to FX.

AMD's, including FX chips can handle 1.4v's all day long and it's nothing to worry about as long as the chip is kept cool. It's only with Ryzen these voltages can be a problem and that's regardles of what gen Ryzen you refer to.

A few things to know about FX:
They don't like temps under load going much above 60c, 63c is about the average thermal limit they can tolerate before they start acting out with BSOD's and other things. Some do better so it's really a matter of what your particular chip can handle.

Alot of guys like pushing their CPU-NB speeds up as high as they can, which is fine if the system can tolerate it but FX/Vishera doesn't like it too much above 2400 on average. Some tolerate 2500+ but many do not, again it's based on the exact chip and board you are running. Also know the more CPU-NB voltage used the warmer the chip itself will run, to get the average reliable CPU-NB speed of 2400 most chips can use less than 1.20v's and be fine with it, in most cases less than 1.18v's will do the job and you'd have to experiment to determine what it takes for yours.

In the case of board with DIGI settings I see alot of guys cranking these up all the way which really doesn't help at all except in extreme OC'ing. That increases thermal across the board including those for the VRM's on the board you're using and all else too. It's best to leave all that as "Auto" and let the system manage it's own DIGI settings/voltages. 

RAM speeds above 1600 are NOT guaranteed and with a few chips, even those speeds aren't stable depending on the board, BIOS version and sticks used in the system. If you are having problems with RAM stability 1333 can be used as a reliable "Base" to go from and work things up from that point until you figure it out or see it's just not going to do it.

Your cooling matters greatly so if you're trying to get 4.4 with a stock cooler - Forget it already because it ain't happening with a stock cooler.
AMD spec'ed these coolers to cool the chip at stock speeds, which is not where you're trying to run it. Anytime you go to surpass stock with an FX, temps will increase like it is with any other chip brand/type you can name.

4.5GHz is well doable on water or even big air but that's what kind of cooling you'll need to get it done.
At the same time about 4.5 is also the average limit with such setups running an 8 series chip, the 4 and 6 series FX chips can do a little more simply because they have less cores running, meaning they will run cooler as a result but know even a 4 series won't do much over 5.1GHz or so reliably on chilled water - Chilled meaning with ice in the reservoir and I seriously doubt you'd be doing that with a daily used machine.
Between the inconvenience of just doing it and the fact it does create condensation at/around the chip it's not the way to go with a regularly used (Daily) machine.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

24 minutes ago, Fendrick said:

1.6v will get you to 5ghz, just cool it down with a cooler, good to go.

1.6v's is excessive, that's getting into DICE (Dry Ice) or better cooling territory.

Even 1.5v's will be difficult to keep cool on water, much less on air considering this is an 8 core (8 series) FX chip.
This is something I did on chilled water sometime ago and shows it.

Bones`s HWBOT x265 Benchmark - 1080p score: 22.42 fps with a FX-8350

I really need to redo this run on Ln2 one day.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

I had a 8150 for a long time at 5ghz on water. 

1.47v and put the multi up . Just be aware if your board is not a good one you need to add a fan to the vrm of the board. 

Those cpus hold voltage really good and they do OC nicelly its just that the IPC is trash. 

16 minutes ago, Xkillerpn said:

I had a 8150 for a long time at 5ghz on water. 

1.47v and put the multi up . Just be aware if your board is not a good one you need to add a fan to the vrm of the board. 

Those cpus hold voltage really good and they do OC nicelly its just that the IPC is trash. 

Yep - They do respond well to voltage and the cooler/colder you can get them the more they'll do at the same voltage.

It's really a see-saw/balancing kind of thing between voltage, speed and the load(s) you'd be subjecting them to vs temps they reach during all this under load.
That takes time to figure out but once you do it's all good.

Aaah this brings me back 😌 Miss my 8320FX Strapped to my MSI 990FX V2, good ol days

anywho id say start with voltz about 1.2v, Lock the clock just over base clock and test, then go back in bios step up the  clock and test, repeat till unstable or wont post then back in bios step up voltage repeat like this until you get around 1.35v then stop unless you have a monster cooler, I wouldn't say you would kill it but it will lessen the life it has left

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

3 hours ago, Fendrick said:

1.6v will get you to 5ghz, just cool it down with a cooler, good to go.

Don't need 1.6V ... that is how you kill an FX-8350 🙃

18 hours ago, Computersarethebest said:

I had my FX-8350 running at 5.0 / 5.1 GHz as a daily for a solid ~3 years (?) before finally upgrading due to the slow IPC holding back gaming performance.

Was lucky to get it to run with ~1.47V.

That said, the voltage you need WILL vary from one CPU to another.

The FX-8350, at stock, already boosts up to 4.2 GHz.

Even a 4.0 GHz all-core --> 4.4 GHz all-core, IMO, isn't going to be big performance boost.

Also, what decoding / codec are you using for 4K playback?

You could try changing it to reduce the CPU usage, to get smoother playback.

The FX-8350 doesn't have iGPU.

You can use your graphics card to do the 4K decoding, via hardware decoding / acceleration.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

I downloaded a new video player called 5k video player and I can watch the previous 4k movie without any problems and my cpu is only at around 50% usage. 

Vlc would play some 4k movie but not this one, I forget what the video file was now. I changed some setting in vlc and it didn't help play this one movie.

As soon as I played the movie in the new player it worked perfect, so I don't know.