Use stock cooler now or upgrading to a better air cooler for Ryzen 5 5600?

JoshB2084

I'm trying to decide what to do with Ryzen 5 5600. I have $100 USD gift card to spend from Christmas. Likewise, I'm not installing new CPU yet.  I was looking up $35 Deepcool AK400, it is quite interesting. What I can doing with this?

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

I run the ryzen 5600X, i would upgrade the stock cooler. I run the stock cooler form the 5700X, because it's a bit taller and cools fine in my ITX case. 
the stock 5600 cooler did not cool well enough in my ITX case. 

if your case has really good airflow, maybe the stock is fine, but i'd buy something just a touch better. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

You'd probably see an improvement in temps, but I doubt you'd see a performance increase since enabling pbo is about the most you'd want to try anyways with a 5600. I'd personally just keep the gift card for something else

3 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

You'd probably see an improvement in temps, but I doubt you'd see a performance increase since enabling pbo is about the most you'd want to try anyways with a 5600. I'd personally just keep the gift card for something else

I agree with this. the entire reason I traded my Wraith Stealth for the Wraith Spire was because of temps. there was no performance gain to be had other than releasing my from the chains of thermal throttle. 

maybe OP should just try stock and watch temps, then replace if needed later. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

27 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

I run the ryzen 5600X, i would upgrade the stock cooler. I run the stock cooler form the 5700X, because it's a bit taller and cools fine in my ITX case. 
the stock 5600 cooler did not cool well enough in my ITX case. 

if your case has really good airflow, maybe the stock is fine, but i'd buy something just a touch better. 

I don't have front intake fans. Maybe I should buy fans.

26 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

Cooling is important, right? I'm not convinced that stock cooler cooling CPU down at long-term.

Decide, decide, decide... 😵

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

14 minutes ago, JoshB2084 said:

I don't have front intake fans. Maybe I should buy fans.

You'd probably see more of an improvement by having intake fans then getting a different cooler, besides the ak400 is fine, but other coolers are half the price while still being comparable in perfromance like some of Thermalright's coolers.

35 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

You'd probably see more of an improvement by having intake fans then getting a different cooler, besides the ak400 is fine, but other coolers are half the price while still being comparable in perfromance like some of Thermalright's coolers.

20 bucks for air cooler?! OK, I take it. I had seen on GN's review of Thermalright and Deepcool before. I was surprised to see sub-$30 almost good as BeQuiet and Noctua.

I would grab some arctic p12 as case fans

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

6 minutes ago, fonzz1e said:

I would grab some arctic p12 as case fans

Yes, I plan to get…

On 12/28/2022 at 2:36 PM, JoshB2084 said:

I'm not convinced that stock cooler cooling CPU down at long-term.

The stock cooler is fine.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 1 year later...
On 12/30/2022 at 6:26 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Oh really? I’m running a 5600 and my temperatures are very high near to 90 degrees look at my gpu temp it’s a 300mm card but still 1080p 60fps. Files below. My motherboard not capable of manual oc. Only precision overdrive and xmp profile for ram 2400 ram 16gb. Im on a cheap £130 msi va monitor max 75hz. 1 exhaust fan and 1 front. 

IMG_0152.jpeg

IMG_0155.jpeg

Kyle

IMG_0160.jpeg

Kyle

Maybe Liquid Metal might help but amateur builders not recommended 4 degrees offIMG_0146.thumb.png.3ff07272d4c655a0accaff7e48a076d0.png

Kyle