CPU temperature question

Go to solution Solved by Levent,

Some steam games are decompressed as they are downloaded. Those temperatures are nothing to worry about either.

Hello! So yesterday I was downloading a fairly large game on Steam (~99 GB) (For those interested, its Black Ops 3). I noticed during the download that my fans were ramping up. I was confused because the only thing my PC was doing at the time was downloading the game. So I checked HWInfo and turns out my CPU's temps were changing between High 40s- 50s- Low 60s. Now I'm concerned, because surely downloading a Steam game isn't *that* CPU intensive, so I got worried thinking my CPU's idle temps were spiking. However upon pausing the download the temps calmed down and went back down to between 37-42c. 

So my main question is, does Steam downloading games count as a CPU task technically putting it under "load", or are these idle temps even when my CPU is doing basically nothing? 

If it is not normal, I do have some MX-4 I can repaste with. 

Little details:

CPU: i7-13700k

Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280

Thermal Compound: ARCTIC MX-5

Some steam games are decompressed as they are downloaded. Those temperatures are nothing to worry about either.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, DkDark said:

So my main question is, does Steam downloading games count as a CPU task

Yes. When Steam downloads it also decompresses and installs. Even when your PC is left alone, it may not be completely idle as there may be background tasks. Judging by what you wrote, you're good.

8 minutes ago, DkDark said:

Hello! So yesterday I was downloading a fairly large game on Steam (~99 GB) (For those interested, its Black Ops 3). I noticed during the download that my fans were ramping up. I was confused because the only thing my PC was doing at the time was downloading the game. So I checked HWInfo and turns out my CPU's temps were changing between High 40s- 50s- Low 60s. Now I'm concerned, because surely downloading a Steam game isn't *that* CPU intensive, so I got worried thinking my CPU's idle temps were spiking. However upon pausing the download the temps calmed down and went back down to between 37-42c. 

So my main question is, does Steam downloading games count as a CPU task technically putting it under "load", or are these idle temps even when my CPU is doing basically nothing? 

If it is not normal, I do have some MX-4 I can repaste with. 

Little details:

CPU: i7-13700k

Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280

Thermal Compound: ARCTIC MX-5

if it's not over 89C it's fine. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Alright, that's good to know. I've been waiting to finish the download because I was worried about the odd temps. Thanks everyone!