Looking for a nice pair of over-ear headphones

Yummychickenblue

Hello forum!

I would like to get a nice pair of closed headphones for gaming/occasionally listening to classic rock music I would like them to not exceed $100 and have decent build quality.

EDIT: I would also like them to be comfortable.

ATH M50s?

Are those open or closed I live in a house with others around so I don't want to disturb them (BTW how do you end up replying to all my topics?)

Are those open or closed I live in a house with others around so I don't want to disturb them (BTW how do you end up replying to all my topics?)

Closed. IDK, I reply mainly to recent topics so it's normal.

i'm a potato

Closed. IDK, I reply mainly to recent topics so it's normal.

don't reply unless you know what you are talking about

they are closed

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

It's not like I reply just for the sake of replying, I try to help people.

EDIT: The IDK was for the part on Yummychickenblue's post where he asks me why I reply to all his topics, not the closed/not closed back question.

i'm a potato

If you can find the ATH-M50's on sale, they're good closed headphones, so you won't have sound bleed.

There's also the Sennheiser 518's.

EDIT: The 518's are open, sorry about that.

The 449 model is closed though.

they are closed

When he wrote "Closed. IDK" those were two different statements, he was saying "idk" to the other part of the question where the op asked him how he replies to all his threads.

When he wrote "closed." he was confident with his answer and wasn't guessing. Just thought I'd clear up the confusion

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

EDIT: The IDK was for the part on Yummychickenblue's post where he asks me why I reply to all his topics, not the closed/not closed back question.

oh ok i thought you meant you didn't know if they were closed or open my mistake

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

When he wrote "Closed. IDK" those were two different statements, he was saying "idk" to the other part of the question where the op asked him how he replies to all his threads.

When he wrote "closed." he was confident with his answer and wasn't guessing. Just thought I'd clear up the confusion

i know he already cleared it up for my but thanks anyways

oh ok i thought you meant you didn't know if they were closed or open my mistake

Yeah, I read the post twice and it came to me that you could have gotten it wrong.

i'm a potato

ATH M50s?

How do the M50s sound outside of audio production (which I do none of)

How do the M50s sound outside of audio production (which I do none of)

I don't have a pair but people seem to think they sound good, maybe check out some reviews.

i'm a potato

M50's are overrated, they sound okay (I find them to sound worse, the more headphones I try), they are overpriced if they are over 100$, and they are not very comfortable, at least not for me. The pads are too small and get hard over time, for me it took like three months until they were unbearable. the soundstage is also super narrow, horrible for FPS games.

I recommend Shure SRH440 with 840 pads. flat sound, the 840 pads are very comfortable, removable cable and portabiltiy is also good. http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH440-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B002DP1FTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399156929&sr=8-1&keywords=srh440 with http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hpaec840&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ahpaec840&ajr=2

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

If you can find the ATH-M50's on sale, they're good closed headphones, so you won't have sound bleed.

There's also the Sennheiser 518's.

EDIT: The 518's are open, sorry about that.

The 449 model is closed though.

The 439 is better than the 449 but there are not many good options for closed under $100 because I don't like recommending Shure 440 without getting the 840 pads and it would be over your budget for both and I would say M50 would be a good choice only because it fits in the hole but I wouldn't pay over $100 for one. 

Edit: I looked at those prices and it went up for the 439 and 449. They are not worth that much.

Edit 2: If you can spend a little bit more, the custom one pro either in the Classifieds here or on Amazon warehouse should be pretty good. 

The 439 is better than the 449 but there are not many good options for closed under $100 because I don't like recommending Shure 440 without getting the 840 pads and it would be over your budget for both and I would say M50 would be a good choice only because it fits in the hole but I wouldn't pay over $100 for one. 

Edit: I looked at those prices and it went up for the 439 and 449. They are not worth that much.

Edit 2: If you can spend a little bit more, the custom one pro either in the Classifieds here or on Amazon warehouse should be pretty good. 

440 pads are just fine, its just that the 840 is that much better. 

Nobody has answered my original question of whether the M50s were good for gaming.

Nobody has answered my original question of whether the M50s were good for gaming.

please don't buy ATH M50, i have one. its overrated.

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

Yep, they're closed. I have some and couldn't be happier. On Massdrop they're $100 right now.

M50's are overrated, they sound okay (I find them to sound worse, the more headphones I try), they are overpriced if they are over 100$, and they are not very comfortable, at least not for me. The pads are too small and get hard over time, for me it took like three months until they were unbearable. the soundstage is also super narrow, horrible for FPS games.

Lauen answered it already. The last part would be the most relevant to gaming though. 

The M50 is on sale on massdrop: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ath-m50?mode=guest_open&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Massdrop%20-%20Master&utm_campaign=Product%20Announcement%202014-05-02&utm_content=C

Decent sounding for mainstream musics (hiphop, dubstep, electronic, etc), bad for 3D positioning in games. 

Yesterday tried the cheaper M20. Closed back, better soundstage than the M50, but sounds a little hollow to me.

yes I did, I said the soundstage is REALLY narrow, and horrible for FPS gaming.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Hello forum!

I would like to get a nice pair of closed headphones for gaming/occasionally listening to classic rock music I would like them to not exceed $100 and have decent build quality.

EDIT: I would also like them to be comfortable.

i will recommend u to get Sennheiser HD 518. i have been using them for over 1 and a half year now and boy, they sound amazing for their price! i will definitely never recommend u to get any closed headphones and gaming headphones especially not in that range unless u ONLY game on ur PC or any other console. 

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-518-Headphones-Black/dp/B0042A68R8/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1399331423&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Sennheiser+hd+518

these headphones are very very light, very very comfortable and sound the best for their price! these are more on the lows and mids side. they are open but the shape of the cups is so great it really does not matter at all. 

i have read u want closed headphones, to be honest, closed are not that great. u get a alot muffled sound, they are usually on the tighter side, they have definitely narrower sound stage, and above all, if u keep ur room temperature a bit high, they make ur ears and the head area all sweaty which is disgusting.

HD 518 are open, sound great, build like a tank (almost LITERALLY!), great value, they come from a properly serious company about sound, and above all they sound great!

i can easily bet u that if taken a bit care they will last u more than 3-4 years easily! and u can always sell them after sometime being very famous amateur audiophile headphones! and u will also save some bucks.if u really need mic, get some normal mic from local store. they dont cost fortune. a US $10 mic would suffice ur needs

here is one thats actually very very great. i have used this myself

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1399332050&sr=1-2&keywords=mic

so this whole package would be US $87. what u will get? entry level, Audiophile grade headphone, one of the better mic, and the choice to swap them like a Boss!

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad