7600X
7900 XTX (PowerColor MBA reference)
MSI B650I Edge Gaming Wifi
G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30
Lian Li SP850 PSU
Windows 11 with current updates
Playing at 3440x1440 with HDR enabled on AW3423DWF
vsync enabled at 165hz

I don't know if this is a Cyberpunk issue (probably) or an AMD issue (also probably), but I suspect it's a bad thing from one, triggering a bad thing from another.

If I have ray tracing on (I last tested using the RT Ultra preset), and I open the map in game, my PC will straight up power down. This does not happen if I have RT disabled. I can't turn it back on until I cycle the I/O switch on the PSU, leading me to believe it's some overcurrent/voltage protection being triggered. I've seen some posts from years ago about the map causing it to crash, but I find it really weird that the whole PC would just shut down. I have no idea what's happening technically, but I believe the game is breaking in some way that is causing it the GPU to do something that is causing it to draw too much power/current/voltage, etc.

Has anyone experienced this before? I can reproduce it endlessly. I don't particularly care about RT, but it's still...annoying, and I'm worried about damaging hardware. Here's a link to an example video: https://twitter.com/thevanderburg/status/1607463125065900033?s=46&t=3JtK6FTIFTsa8rvg3dHqtw

Have you confirmed everything in your system is stable?

I am not even sure what you can do here other than somehow contact AMD about this issue.

This is extremely bizarre.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

4 minutes ago, Levent said:

Have you confirmed everything in your system is stable?

I am not even sure what you can do here other than somehow contact AMD about this issue.

This is extremely bizarre.

As best as I can? I’m running everything as stock, and I’ve run various benchmarks, with p95. The CP benchmark runs fine, even with RT. Nothing else is crashing, so far. 

Looks like you're not the only want with that problem. Found an editor that have the same problem.

While I was eager to see how these new GPUs compared to NVIDIAs, I had to go through several rounds of driver and motherboard BIOS updates on my Ryzen 9 7900X before both cards were stable enough to actually use. That's something I occasionally run into when testing cutting-edge hardware (NVIDIA's cards also required a BIOS update), but there were still issues with AMD's cards even after that. Halo Infinite, for example, refused to launch matches with either card. Sometimes my PC would completely shut down while testing Cyberpunk 2077, which required me to unplug my desktop and reset my BIOS before Windows would boot again.

Maybe it may have something to do with this?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

You don't use v-sync above 60hz monitor refresh, it's an old tech. made for old settings.

AMD has Enhanced Sync & if monitor has it, turn on Freesync also. Turn off V-sync in ALL games.

Ultra is not a good choice, but especially not in Cybershrek "I crash often chumba" 2077. That game is an EXPERIMENT Beta from so many angles.

Do not rate your PC by the latest failed game.

5 hours ago, Cyberat said:

You don't use v-sync above 60hz monitor refresh, it's an old tech. made for old settings.

AMD has Enhanced Sync & if monitor has it, turn on Freesync also. Turn off V-sync in ALL games.

Ultra is not a good choice, but especially not in Cybershrek "I crash often chumba" 2077. That game is an EXPERIMENT Beta from so many angles.

Do not rate your PC by the latest failed game.

If I think power draw is a contributing factor (and I do), if for some reason the map causes some weird, unreasonably high frame rate, then vsync would be a good way to limit the frame rate, such that it would limit some power usage. I didn't want it to go above 165fps (and why would I?), I just wanted to see what the cause of the crash was when I was troubleshooting.

You can CAP to 165fps but that doesn't mean the system tries to run 165FPS forced at all times.

Don't use v-sync in modern systems, you want to cap, do so in drivers, not from the game's stunted software.

A Lian Li PSU also... "Best PSU in China, Emperor LiLikes..." You could do with a better brand at that wattage.

On 12/28/2022 at 11:54 PM, Cyberat said:

You can CAP to 165fps but that doesn't mean the system tries to run 165FPS forced at all times.

Don't use v-sync in modern systems, you want to cap, do so in drivers, not from the game's stunted software.

I'm not quite sure what caused you to infer that I believed vysnc would force 165fps at all times. As I explained in my previous reply, I used it as a way to limit the frame rate. As a cap. In fact, at my settings, it runs about 90-110fps, and Freesync takes care of any tearing.

Enhanced Sync does the same at higher caps. V-Sync is old tech for 60hz monitors.

1 minute ago, Robchil said:

all in all.. could be a heat problem too... 

yeh, but dont these cards also have a power draw issue? 

*whynotboth.gif*

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 12/29/2022 at 6:55 AM, Cyberat said:

A Lian Li PSU

also this is the first thing I noticed... like that was a good idea lol (i suppose the psu came with the case...? oof)

On 12/27/2022 at 11:14 PM, Vanderburg said:

I don't know if this is a Cyberpunk issue (probably) or an AMD issue (also probably), but I suspect it's a bad thing from one, triggering a bad thing from another.

If I have ray tracing on (I last tested using the RT Ultra preset), and I open the map in game, my PC will straight up power down. This does not happen if I have RT disabled. I can't turn it back on until I cycle the I/O switch on the PSU, leading me to believe it's some overcurrent/voltage protection being triggered.

basically your psu simply cant keep up, your gpu also has significant, known issues but i do believe with a better high quality psu those issues could be overcome (except the overheating issue,  you need to do an rma for that as amd currently doesn't have issued a recall)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

also this is the first thing I noticed... like that was a good idea lol (i suppose the psu came with the case...? oof)

What, specifically, is wrong with Lian Li PSUs? A compelling reason that isn’t anecdotal could convince me to get a different one.

4 hours ago, Vanderburg said:

What, specifically, is wrong with Lian Li PSUs

maybe not much, but your issue is typical for certain psus in the described scenario,  so even if it was a bit snarky, i still think it could be the psu - not at least because your gpu has known power draw issues...

can you set a power limit for your card (in msi afterburner for example)? like i dunno,  70% or lower perhaps that could potentially prove that theory  -- if its not crashing anymore its definitely a power issue and probably the psu cant handle it. 

definitely as i said, you should contact amd for an rma anyway,  so maybe you dont even need a new psu then if they fixed the power draw  and vapor chamber issues.

I'd try that either way. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

maybe not much, but your issue is typical for certain psus in the described scenario,  so even if it was a bit snarky, i still think it could be the psu - not at least because your gpu has known power draw issues...

can you set a power limit for your card (in msi afterburner for example)? like i dunno,  70% or lower perhaps that could potentially prove that theory  -- if its not crashing anymore its definitely a power issue and probably the psu cant handle it. 

definitely as i said, you should contact amd for an rma anyway,  so maybe you dont even need a new psu then if they fixed the power draw  and vapor chamber issues.

I'd try that either way. 

Fortunately, I bought from Microcenter, so I can return it if I have to. If the answer is simply "The XTX has transient spikes that necessitate a 1000w PSU, despite them claiming 850 is recommended", I can just upgrade my PSU, I suppose, instead of returning it. If I have to return it and then go with the Red Devil (the only other XTX I'm aware of them carrying right now), though, at $1100, I might as well go for the 4080, which is a bit unpalatable itself, but the sad reality of it is that nVidia stuff (and Intel, generally) just works, as much as I wanted to go with an all AMD build this time around.