Help! CPU ripped out of socket!

Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,

AMD socket/CPU?

You're fine, provided no pins were damaged. Just make sure to run the PC a little bit next time so the thermal paste isn't hard. You can also twist the heatsink a little bit to separate it from the CPU before you pull it directly off. You can also just twist the CPU off the heatsink(don't drop it or bend the pins) and install it back into the motherboard.

This is a problem that has plagued AMD CPUs since before the AM2 socket.

Hi there,

When removing my CPU cooler from my computer, the paste was so hardened that it pulled the cpu out of the socket. Are my mother board and cpu screwed? I don’t see any visible damage.

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4-3600 | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB 

Samsung 980 EVO Plus 2TB | SK hynix Gold S31 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 7200RPM HDD | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD | 3x Phanteks T30-120

Corsair RM1000e 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Modular PSU | Corsair 5000D Airflow Windows 11 Home

AMD socket/CPU?

You're fine, provided no pins were damaged. Just make sure to run the PC a little bit next time so the thermal paste isn't hard. You can also twist the heatsink a little bit to separate it from the CPU before you pull it directly off. You can also just twist the CPU off the heatsink(don't drop it or bend the pins) and install it back into the motherboard.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

AMD socket/CPU?

Whew! Thank you so much. I just had a small heart attack.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4-3600 | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB 

Samsung 980 EVO Plus 2TB | SK hynix Gold S31 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 7200RPM HDD | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD | 3x Phanteks T30-120

Corsair RM1000e 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Modular PSU | Corsair 5000D Airflow Windows 11 Home

1 minute ago, DriedSponge said:

I had the same reaction the first time I ripped an Athlon 64 out of its socket 😄

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, DriedSponge said:

Dental floss between the CPU and the cooler is going to be a great friend for you. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Next time, give the cooler a gentle twisting motion back and forth before pulling it up.

What is dangerous is what happened to me on AM3 (or AM2 not sure) when the CPU is stuck and you pull it out only to have it fall off and damage pins. I managed to fix them but I was sweating lol.

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

AMD socket/CPU?

Update: I’m now very concerned. The CPU light on my mobo turns on when I boot my pc and it doesn’t post, not sure how to interpret it.