7900 xtx paper release?

CatXice

in the uk theres only 1 website even listing it and it says coming soon so does that mean the uk hasn't got the xtx yet the xt is there but barely theres hardly any listings for it just seems silly that hey heres are new thing on 13-12-22 and then 2 weeks later its still like huh what that oh ye guess we should make it so people can buy them! do AMD hate money?

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

49 minutes ago, CatXice said:

in the uk theres only 1 website even listing it and it says coming soon so does that mean the uk hasn't got the xtx yet the xt is there but barely theres hardly any listings for it just seems silly that hey heres are new thing on 13-12-22 and then 2 weeks later its still like huh what that oh ye guess we should make it so people can buy them! do AMD hate money?

I looked at USA newegg and Amazon.  All Newegg 7900xtxes are out of stock and most are on Amazon.  The two that are still in stock on Amazon are $1600, and $1900 respectively where 4080 16s seem to be in the $1300-1500 range. The 4090s that are in stock seem to be around $2300+.  The ones listed as “in stock” on Amazon are also all by 3rd party sellers (so not really actually Amazon) and may be just lying.  I suspect the US is in the same position as the UK atm. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

56 minutes ago, CatXice said:

They already sold out of the xtx world wide, and EU just had low launch supply of the cards. 

no it was not a paper launch. AMD just prioritized US, world wide, there was about 200k 7900xt/xtx cards pushed out for the launch window
Selling out on launch is normal. What is abnormal was not selling out, which AMD and Nvidia failed to do with the 7900XT and 4080.

Hard to claim they hate money when they sold out of the card with decent profit margins.

3 minutes ago, starsmine said:

They already sold out of the xtx world wide, and EU just had low launch supply of the cards. 

no it was not a paper launch. AMD just prioritized US, world wide, there was about 200k 7900xt/xtx cards pushed out for the launch window
Selling out on launch is normal. What is abnormal was not selling out, which AMD and Nvidia failed to do with the 7900XT and 4080.

I’ve heard it referred to as an “almost paper launch” though because so few cards were released.  Less than 1/10th of what was expected.  They’re apparently perhaps also sold out in the US. I might call it a “token launch”.  They’re no more available here than anywhere else, and apparently are being scammed and scalped, though not for the truly egregious amounts cards were being scalped for during the pandemic.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ve heard it referred to as an “almost paper launch” though because so few cards were released.  Less than 1/10th of what was expected 

who expects 2million?
that's the entire amount of cards AMD sells in a bad quarter, and that counts low end cards with OEMs
BTi7xQJRvkAumH4wcz8XkC.png

These are first runs of enthuses grade cards. 200k is no where close to a paper launch.

2 minutes ago, starsmine said:

who expects 2million?
that's the entire amount of cards AMD sells in a bad quarter, and that counts low end cards with OEMs
BTi7xQJRvkAumH4wcz8XkC.png

These are first runs of enthuses grade cards. 200k is no where close to a paper launch.

I heard 10k. So our numbers are different by a factor of 20.  I haven’t been in the market for one though as it seems currently that a 6800xt is more than I need anyway, though that may change. So I haven’t been paying a whole lot of attention.  Your numbers may be better than mine.  I’ve got no references.  Just what I heard mentioned in passing.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I heard 10k. So our numbers are different by a factor of 20.  I haven’t been in the market for one though as it seems currently that a 6800xt is more than I need anyway, though that may change. So I haven’t been paying a whole lot of attention.  Your numbers may be better than mine.  I’ve got no references.  Just what I heard mentioned in passing.

Regions got numbers that low yes. 200k is world wide, so Asia, NA, EU, Oceania. I dont think they shipped many to SA if at all. 

EU got stiffed on Launch, they may have had 10k

3 hours ago, starsmine said:

Regions got numbers that low yes. 200k is world wide, so Asia, NA, EU, Oceania. I dont think they shipped many to SA if at all. 

EU got stiffed on Launch, they may have had 10k

Sounds right.  I knew it was waaay low.  Basically everyone is more than out though.  They could have shippez 5 times as many and still sold out.  If those things are warehoused and just sitting there someone screwed up bad. Not quite but very close to a worst possible outcome for AMD. Scalpers did get activated enough to sell their cards, unlike what happened with the 4080, but not enough to make raising prices reasonable.  All they did was sell less stuff.  If they had to drop their prices that would be worst case.  They may try raising them anyway at which point people will just continue to buy last generation old mining cards.