Is Zorin OS a good Linux distro?

Go to solution Solved by SignatureSigner,

just create a bootable usb and try it out for yourself.

Its a linux distro, everyone has preferences.

* your thread was moved to the appropriate section *

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

1 hour ago, SignatureSigner said:

Ok

2 hours ago, PurpleBaboon said:

There is no such thing as a bad linux distro, they all have their uses and people will have different preferences. Try it out and see if it works for you, you can use a live USB stick or a virtual machine.

I tried it and for me its one of the best distros.

On 12/20/2022 at 7:19 AM, SignatureSigner said:

I have to disagree with this solution because while u can use any distro, the purpose of distros is to have specific use cases. For example if u were managing websites then nginx is a better alternative than using a distro like kali linux which is for pentesting. My point is that zorin os may not be the best option for u if u have a specific use case for the os. However if u are just daily driving it I recommend going with Debian or Ubuntu 

Yes, it is good, so are many others. You can create bootable usb drives for most of the distros you would want to try. If you like it, then you can actually install. The important point, I think, Signature was making, is that you can do this and try them out without actually installing them. If you like it, then install it, if not, don't, just try another flavor.

9 hours ago, swabro said:

I have to disagree with this solution because while u can use any distro, the purpose of distros is to have specific use cases. For example if u were managing websites then nginx is a better alternative than using a distro like kali linux which is for pentesting. My point is that zorin os may not be the best option for u if u have a specific use case for the os. However if u are just daily driving it I recommend going with Debian or Ubuntu 

Nginx is a server application not a distro, and while kali would make a terrible web server there is nothing stopping you from running Nginx, apache, PHP, etc on it. I would hazard a bet there probably even in the repos.

I'm not personally a fan of zorin, because it's of it's older packages and because the aur is a drug and I'm a full blown junkie however I see the appeal. It's quite good for a new user, it's ability to morph its interface makes it less intimidating, It's similar to Ubuntu so help should be ubiquitous, and the outdated packages should in turn make it more stable so unless you're running bleeding edge hardware like arc or rx7k series it's probably a good choice.

It depends. If you have an old pc its a good choice. But if you are using a high-end pc then I do not recommend it. There are better one's and (personal opinion) the best being linux mint

I recommend Fedora Media Writer.  It's a simple program that makes it simple to try Linux systems on a flash drive.

Note, you cannot make changes to a system in this manner, unless you enable "persistence" which for small changes / wi-fi settings, application changes, may be fine, but don't rely on it.

There is also balena etcher, but fedora media writer is much faster to start the program.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

1 hour ago, Timpster said:

I recommend Fedora Media Writer.  It's a simple program that makes it simple to try Linux systems on a flash drive.

Note, you cannot make changes to a system in this manner, unless you enable "persistence" which for small changes / wi-fi settings, application changes, may be fine, but don't rely on it.

There is also balena etcher, but fedora media writer is much faster to start the program.

ok