Really, Really Basic Secondhand Laptop For Basic Use.

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
1 hour ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

All answers are considered, and welp none of you guys said it's good. 

I found this and could've the cheapest that I could find that's still got a decent punch.

https://www.tokopedia.com/pandapc/lenovo-thinkpad-yoga-12-core-i5-12-5-touchscreen-laptop-2in1-ts-hd?extParam=whid%3D3821614 (i5-5300U), and yes, I did test an i5-5300U before and it's actually still a decent performer.

Yet... I don't even know if the item's still available, so another 'cheapest' one.

https://www.tokopedia.com/oceanla/lenovo-thinkpad-l380-yoga-2-in-1-intel-core-i5-gen-8-murah-ram-16gb-ram-8gb-ssd-128gb?extParam=whid%3D13738086 (i5-8250U)

Secons one by far far far far far.

Windows 11 compatible and OVER double performance.

DO NOT GET THE YOGA 12 IT LITERALLY IS A MELTING LAPTOP.

That laptop is covered in a rubber coating and partially made out of it. That rubber is reverting to oil in all of them since about 4-5 years ago and the laptop is literallt breaking apart and melting. There is NO FIX.

In a nutshell, I'm eyeing onto those kind of laptops, being as long as it's got a screen, touchscreen, and I can do basic things on it (watching Netflix, YouTube, office work with Docs or MS Word, perhaps some little lightweight CAD either, or some really lightweight gaming like Papers, Please! lol). Sorted from the cheapest to the being the 'enough'. Perhaps will getting the 8 GB (as it's a bare minimum nowadays), perhaps 128 or 256 GB SSD (this is for only my secondary Windows device strictly for when I really need to do mobile work, and that's all).

https://www.tokopedia.com/pandapc/lenovo-thinkpad-yoga-11e-touchscreen-laptop-2-in-1-quad-core-11e-celeron-4gb-ssd-128gb?extParam=whid%3D3821614 (N3150)

https://www.tokopedia.com/pandapc/dell-latitude-3160-touchscreen-11-6-pentium-n3700-4-gb-ram-4gb-ssd-128gb?extParam=whid%3D3821614 (Celeron N3700)

Just wondering though. Does Celeron N3150 still being a decent performer for basic use as stated above? Is the jump between N3150 to N3700 would be a benefit?

Well, I won't expect much of it, but as long as it won't shutter so much when playing 1080p/720p YouTube video.

Alternatively, I could get an Android tablet because we all know how efficient they is but.... I can't even find a 'decent' tablet with the price as the same as the ThinkPad.

Thanks in advance.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

3 minutes ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

when playing 1080p/720p YouTube video.

Considering that was a major task with my N3060 (even in non-windows use cases), I would recommend you to get the best chip you can. I would honestly avoid all Nxxx series chips.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

14 minutes ago, Levent said:

Considering that was a major task with my N3060 (even in non-windows use cases), I would recommend you to get the best chip you can. I would honestly avoid all Nxxx series chips.

Okay, consider if I lower to 480p (I wouldn't mind tbh, my eyes are actually got used on that before lol), and objectively as for as simple when I need to do some typing while listening to music, does it still good enough?

I have a PC anyway for much heavier workloads, so this one would be rarely used.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

All of these do not run windows 11.

All of these are 7 year old ewaste devices back in 2015. They will barely even do 480p yt at this point and forget about netflix.

These devices are quite literally unusably slow.

Are these new or used?

These things are dirt cheap because these things are useless. They are to weak to do basic functions today. These were most likely obtained from schools and whatnot that disposed of them after their online platform was too heavy for it.

Your budget is in the extreme low end but you could find older used laptops like 6th gen i5's and better that will actually work.

However it sounds like you basically want a tablet that also has a keyboard so id just look for a tablet. The cheapest one I can recommend is the galaxy a8. Its slow but functional.

I wouldnt recommend any celeron Nxxx chips, in one games discord, people with those chips ran a game worse than my 2013 celeron 1000M in my old laptop, those Nxxx chips are trash.

15 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

I wouldnt recommend any celeron Nxxx chips, in one games discord, people with those chips ran a game worse than my 2013 celeron 1000M in my old laptop, those Nxxx chips are trash.

To illustrate how bad they are. My pentium 4 3.06ghz with ht from 2004 is faster than a n3150 :p. Like noticeably faster. Edit: it's 25% faster.

A 1 year older athlon 64x2 2ghz is 50% faster.

In a decade a low power chip doesnt beat a mid range one.

However looking at amds low power offerings today where intels new pentiums and celerons for mobile reside they beat/match a i7 2600 which is impressive for a 8w part.

Try to find a refurbished Thinkpad T460(s). Intel 6th Gen, only Dual core, but decent for basic stuff. especially with Linux.

Should be cheap, still high quality.

Maybe Thinkpad T440~ even and Intel 4th Gen, which is really not much slower. If i'm correct, the CPU was socketed, so you could also put in a 4-Core 4th Gen Chip inside, which was used in higher TDP models.

If you want as cheap as possible for basic stuff, but not utter Garbage quality wise, refurbished Business Notebooks are the way to go.

Aside from Thinkpad T, there's also Dell Latitude (5000 series and 7000 series), HP Elitebook 8xx, Fujitsu Lifebook~.

If your Budget is enough toi find one of them with Intel 8th Gen (i5 8350u for example), go for it. First Quad Core CPU, and oldest CPU that officially supports Windows 11. That's kinda future proof, even for basic tasks.
As long nothing breaks, i don't see why it shouldn't last you to 2030 and beyond.

32 minutes ago, jaslion said:

To illustrate how bad they are. My pentium 4 3.06ghz with ht from 2004 is faster than a n3150 :p. Like noticeably faster. Edit: it's 25% faster.

A 1 year older athlon 64x2 2ghz is 50% faster.

In a decade a low power chip doesnt beat a mid range one.

However looking at amds low power offerings today where intels new pentiums and celerons for mobile reside they beat/match a i7 2600 which is impressive for a 8w part.

39 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

3 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Try to find a refurbished Thinkpad T460(s). Intel 6th Gen, only Dual core, but decent for basic stuff. especially with Linux.

Should be cheap, still high quality.

Maybe Thinkpad T440~ even and Intel 4th Gen, which is really not much slower. If i'm correct, the CPU was socketed, so you could also put in a 4-Core 4th Gen Chip inside, which was used in higher TDP models.

If you want as cheap as possible for basic stuff, but not utter Garbage quality wise, refurbished Business Notebooks are the way to go.

Aside from Thinkpad T, there's also Dell Latitude (5000 series and 7000 series), HP Elitebook 8xx, Fujitsu Lifebook~.

If your Budget is enough toi find one of them with Intel 8th Gen (i5 8350u for example), go for it. First Quad Core CPU, and oldest CPU that officially supports Windows 11. That's kinda future proof, even for basic tasks.
As long nothing breaks, i don't see why it shouldn't last you to 2030 and beyond.

I found this and could've the cheapest that I could find that's still got a decent punch.

https://www.tokopedia.com/pandapc/lenovo-thinkpad-yoga-12-core-i5-12-5-touchscreen-laptop-2in1-ts-hd?extParam=whid%3D3821614 (i5-5300U), and yes, I did test an i5-5300U before and it's actually still a decent performer.

Yet... I don't even know if the item's still available, so another 'cheapest' one.

https://www.tokopedia.com/oceanla/lenovo-thinkpad-l380-yoga-2-in-1-intel-core-i5-gen-8-murah-ram-16gb-ram-8gb-ssd-128gb?extParam=whid%3D13738086 (i5-8250U)

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

1 hour ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

That laptop is covered in a rubber coating and partially made out of it. That rubber is reverting to oil in all of them since about 4-5 years ago and the laptop is literallt breaking apart and melting. There is NO FIX.

17 hours ago, jaslion said:

Ah, I ever heard about that rubber coating on those laptops. Thanks for the insight.

Yet, any chance of another 2-in-1 laptop models that I could find aside of ThinkPads? Preferably business laptop lineups as they would've be cheap and easier to find.

EDIT: I'm thinking to get the L380 seemingly as it's seems good enough for my use.

Thanks for the suggestions, y'all. Consider the case closed.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

3 hours ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

Ah, I ever heard about that rubber coating on those laptops. Thanks for the insight.

Yet, any chance of another 2-in-1 laptop models that I could find aside of ThinkPads? Preferably business laptop lineups as they would've be cheap and easier to find.

EDIT: I'm thinking to get the L380 seemingly as it's seems good enough for my use.

Thanks for the suggestions, y'all. Consider the case closed.

I mean hp has their x360 line. Which is pretty good. The ryzen x360s have seriously dropped in price