BSOD on newly built PC

Will898

Hi, Hopefully somebody here can help me troubleshoot my PC troubles.

A few years back I built my PC into the little cupboard next to my desk and worked flawlessly albeit on aging hardware.

I recently upgraded to:

Ryzen 5600x

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE Micro ATX

2x8GB DDR4 3600

Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME SSD

I have left the GPU as before, GTX970

since then, after playing games (actually only tried on the one game so far, Fallout 76), I am getting BSOD and forced reboots.

At first I thought it was the PSU failing to supply sufficient power as it was a fairly crappy 450W so I upgraded that to an 80+gold 750W PSU and no change.

I have tried setting the RAM speed slower in case this was teh cause of the instability, but the crashing happens the same at 3600mhz, 3200mhz, 2133mhz...

I tried monitoring temps and while they do get warm, it is crashing out with CPU at about 81-82 degrees, GPU about 75, well within normal range. 

The event log in system at the time of crash shows these 2 errors

event 46 WHEA-Logger

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: Memory
Error Source: Machine Check Exception

The details view of this entry contains further information.

and

event 18  WHEA-Logger

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.

Hope somebody could shed some light on how I can remedy this 

Try to reseat the processor, look at the socket and the CPU pins if everything is allright.

While looking online of reports of others having the same issues, same messages in event log etc, most of the threads mention a bios update fixing them, have you tried this?

Try re-seating the RAM, or as Callum recommended above, a BIOS update.

Have you tried restarting it?

2 hours ago, CallumOKane said:

While looking online of reports of others having the same issues, same messages in event log etc, most of the threads mention a bios update fixing them, have you tried this?

Hi I updated the bios just now, still crashed out in game. I'm currently running a disk check on the new ssd. If that doesn't do anything I will take it all out and repeat the ram and cpu but it's a massive ballache because of the way I have mounted the mobo on the roof of the cupboard lol

2 hours ago, Plermpel said:

Try to reseat the processor, look at the socket and the CPU pins if everything is allright.

Just tried reseating cpu and ram. No change. Going to bed now but tomorrow will try out some other games to make sure it isn't just a Bethesda problem

CPU 80+C is NOT normal range, GPU will run 75C no problem but that should be the peak limit.

Set fans in Bios for CPU to 100% at 60C, same for GPU in Drivers. See if you break 75C still.

Dual ram? Maybe one stick went bad,try one stick at a time and different slots, uncommon but the slot can fail also

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

6 hours ago, Cyberat said:

CPU 80+C is NOT normal range, GPU will run 75C no problem but that should be the peak limit.

Set fans in Bios for CPU to 100% at 60C, same for GPU in Drivers. See if you break 75C still.

Temp is definitely playing a factor. Pinned it in furmarked and would run stable at about 92 degrees c but crashing out in fallout 76 at mid 80s. I have a hyper 212 Evo lying about so I'll probably order the right mounting hardware and see if that stops it rising. I know I'm shooting myself in the foot with my stupid cupboard build lol. It does have 2x fans cut into 1 side, a cutout for air intake for psu but it's out of surfaces to cut away for more airflow. 

So you set the fans at 100% and still hitting high temps ? Need better fans, buy fans by CFM rating, higher the better but start off at 75 CFM or higher minimum.

6 hours ago, Cyberat said:

So you set the fans at 100% and still hitting high temps ? Need better fans, buy fans by CFM rating, higher the better but start off at 75 CFM or higher minimum.

It's more a case of limited airflow than the fans themselves. I'll have to fully reconfigure the layout. Might be able to mount the mobo to the RHS wall and cut some new holes in for additional set of 120s

Don't forget fan settings, default is NOT ok for gaming systems, it's the most non-OC thing you can do that will keep your system stable.