Zero RPM mode - silent VRM killer or doesn't matter?

Rym
Go to solution Solved by Morgan MLGman,

VRMs are designed to withstand temperatures up to about 120C for a very long period of time - temps when the GPU is idle or is around 60C are nothing for the VRMs. You've got nothing to worry about. They only get hot when there's a lot of power coming through them - in those instances the GPU is hot as well, so the fans spin up.

Hey!

I've been thinking about the zero RPM feature on GPUs, for my model the temps go like so in desktop use:

Zero RPM default: GPU slowly goes up to 55-60C over time until the fans turn on.

Always on 30% custom fan curve: GPU stays between 25-28C

Of course, the custom fan curve provides better gaming temps as well (zero RPM goes up to 60C before fans turn on again, while always on fans keep the GPU running at 40-45C in normal games, 53-56C in intense heavy workload games).

But my issue is with the card VRMs, you can't tell what their temp is with zero RPM, and the GPU ignores their temp. In terms of VRMs I have a low end model (Gainward Phantom 4090) and I'm not sure if zero RPM would cause the VRMs to wear out faster or not.

Any thoughts?

VRMs are designed to withstand temperatures up to about 120C for a very long period of time - temps when the GPU is idle or is around 60C are nothing for the VRMs. You've got nothing to worry about. They only get hot when there's a lot of power coming through them - in those instances the GPU is hot as well, so the fans spin up.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

VRM is rarely an issue but VRAM is a different matter, some cards don't contact VRAM well enough and 0 RPM mode can actually let them run toasty.

Anyways, I dislike 0 RPM mode and usually let the card run as high RPM as I can before I can actually hear it over other stuff in my PC. The card I have now runs at 50% RPM and I can't hear it at all.