Mining Question

Ok so I dont mine, I F@H and BOINC so this is not my area expertise.

I have this buddy that is begging me to help him ... so after a few weeks I agreed just so he will leave me alone.

Here are the two things I need to know.

• The recommended mining software? something easy for me to get him started fairly quickly.
  • and which coin/altcoin for him to mine for?

His rig is like mine but slightly better as he has an GTX 1080TI and a i7-7700k, he plans to add a 3080 to the mix and only mine at night while he is sleeping. I glanced through this section and the most recent topics I find are about 5-6months old and I know with the Eth switch from pow to pos has made some changes. I am aware of a few nicehash, unmineable, and easyminer but I really don't know what to suggest.

If anyone would mind, help me help him.

I don't want anything lengthy or speeches as to why he shouldn't mine just help me satisfy the guy.

It is greatly appreciated.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I recommend Nicehash, as long as you update it and run all the benchmarks it just works, and varies the crypto that it is mining based on profitability. They also plug right into coinbase, so no fees incurred. It's dead simple. Disclaimer they have been hacked (but reimbursed all crypto after the fact) and have had other moral issues I don't remember, basically just tell him to move it to his wallet of choice regularly.  DO NOTE MY EXPERIENCE IS FROM THE ETH SWITCH

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

He's a couple of years late.

image.png.1ce62a8dd417324905ae3d87e1820bfb.png image.png.9b35067a9873df811641a821a5498443.png

Now if you want to hope to make bank in crypto it's by having money to buy some and trade it / follow the pump and dumps...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I know with the Eth switch from pow to pos has made some changes. I am aware of a few nicehash, unmineable, and easyminer but I really don't know what to suggest.

Eth switching from PoW to PoS means you can no longer mine it at all. There's basically no other coin left that's worth mining, if you want to make a profit. The money you pay for electricity will eat up any profits (unless you have a way to get electricity for very cheap).

You can use the profitability calculator of Nicehash to check:

https://www.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator

The easiest to get into is probably Nicehash, since it'll automatically mine whatever is the most profitable (or least unprofitable) right now.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

7 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I recommend Nicehash, as long as you update it and run all the benchmarks it just works, and varies the crypto that it is mining based on profitability. They also plug right into coinbase, so no fees incurred. It's dead simple. Disclaimer they have been hacked (but reimbursed all crypto after the fact) and have had other moral issues I don't remember, basically just tell him to move it to his wallet of choice regularly.  DO NOTE MY EXPERIENCE IS FROM THE ETH SWITCH

Thanks, I'll look into nicehash.

7 hours ago, Kilrah said:

He's a couple of years late.

image.png.1ce62a8dd417324905ae3d87e1820bfb.png image.png.9b35067a9873df811641a821a5498443.png

Now if you want to hope to make bank in crypto it's by having money to buy some and trade it / follow the pump and dumps...

I know, I trade a little coin and mentioned it to him already, but he is not into trading, even stock. I told him with the way things are down now, if he buys he can wait out the slump and see how things improve a year from now, I mean from I noted yesterday everything over the last month is up, not much but it is going up. Slow gains last longer.

7 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Eth switching from PoW to PoS means you can no longer mine it at all. There's basically no other coin left that's worth mining, if you want to make a profit. The money you pay for electricity will eat up any profits (unless you have a way to get electricity for very cheap).

You can use the profitability calculator of Nicehash to check:

https://www.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator

The easiest to get into is probably Nicehash, since it'll automatically mine whatever is the most profitable (or least unprofitable) right now.

Yeah, I figured as much, I'll give him what he wants and wait to see if he finally realizes his power bill is greater than hi return. 😶

Thanks guys this is what I needed.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

17 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Thanks, I'll look into nicehash.

I know, I trade a little coin and mentioned it to him already, but he is not into trading, even stock. I told him with the way things are down now, if he buys he can wait out the slump and see how things improve a year from now, I mean from I noted yesterday everything over the last month is up, not much but it is going up. Slow gains last longer.

Yeah, I figured as much, I'll give him what he wants and wait to see if he finally realizes his power bill is greater than hi return. 😶

Thanks guys this is what I needed.

lol. yeah i switch the better. that being said.

a type of coin atm.....i

idk what going on. per month earning would be(am not joking with software says) 10k

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC