Discoloration on GPU IO shield. Dangerous?

ManderleyBoy

I just noticed these black spots around the HDMI port. It looks like black spray paint that smudges when touched. It’s a 5 month card and it has been performing well. After reading online it seems that the aluminum has started to have discoloration due to the heat. 

My card doesn’t run hot though. The highest recorded temp is 72C. And that’s a rare occasion.  

Is this a sign of anything dangerous?

NOTE: I am aware it looks like oil/dirt but I definitely haven’t been touching it with anything like that. Apparently the discoloration can cause some trapped residue to come to the surface. Seems to happen with aluminum. 

It could be mold or surface rust. Either way, don't lose any sleep over that.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

It could be mold or surface rust. Either way, don't lose any sleep over that.

Why? Is that harmless?

25 minutes ago, Victor Jones said:

I just noticed these black spots around the HDMI port. It looks like black spray paint that smudges when touched. It’s a 5 month card and it has been performing well. 

Could it be some paint from the black cables rubbing off on the metal? 

Anyone ever encountered similar? Ideas?

UPDATE: apparently it’s mold?

What makes you think it's mold? To me it looks like dirt/dust. It also looks like it is in the crack between the IO plate and the case. 'd just wipe it off and move on.

5 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

What makes you think it's mold? To me it looks like dirt/dust. It also looks like it is in the crack between the IO plate and the case. 'd just wipe it off and move on.

There is a gap. I have made sure the the GPU is properly set in place. I guess the case is a little offset. It’s the h500 and it’s kinda bulky so idk. 

4 minutes ago, Victor Jones said:

There is a gap. I have made sure the the GPU is properly set in place. I guess the case is a little offset. It’s the h500 and it’s kinda bulky so idk. 

There is nothing wrong with having a gap, What I am saying is that I see dust in and around the area that you circle. What makes you think that it is mold and not just more dust that is already there? Do you live in an overly humid area? Do you have mold other places in and around the PC? Walls? Floor?

2 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

There is nothing wrong with having a gap, What I am saying is that I see dust in and around the area that you circle. What makes you think that it is mold and not just more dust that is already there? Do you live in an overly humid area? Do you have mold other places in and around the PC? Walls? Floor?

I was reading up and it turns out that it’s aluminum discoloration due to heat. Seems to be the most logical case with other similar instances online. Though this card runs quite cool. It’s the 3060ti by MSI

There were some minor black spots of mildew on the IO shield of my 3060Ti. 

How serous is mold when it comes to PC parts?

Pic

14 minutes ago, Victor Jones said:

There were some minor black spots of mildew on the IO shield of my 3060Ti. 

How serous is mold when it comes to PC parts?

Well, mold tends to grow where excess moisture is present, would recommend some high conc IPA and a dehumidifier.

If mild is growing, that means that significant moisture is condensing, or that a very moldy area is very nearby.

More serious to you than the card.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Well, mold tends to grow where excess moisture is present, would recommend some high conc IPA and a dehumidifier.

If mild is growing, that means that significant moisture is condensing, or that a very moldy area is very nearby.

Funny thing is I have no mold anywhere else in my house. 

1 hour ago, Victor Jones said:

Funny thing is I have no mold anywhere else in my house. 

I'd look harder, mold likes to hide really well. also check the seal on toilets 

11 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

I'd look harder, mold likes to hide really well. also check the seal on toilets 

I question whether it is even mold in the first place. I don't think it is. 

3 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

I question whether it is even mold in the first place. I don't think it is. 

tbh i dont think its mold anymore. im confused. check out the pic i attached below

here

2 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

@Victor Jones do you have a picture of said "mold"

here i dont think its mold anymore. it is like a greasy substance that appears out of nowhere whenever i touch the IO shield with my CLEAN fingers. maybe its some reaction with the metal due to heat?

today i cleaned it off and then i just simply ran my finger on the IO shield again and this smudhy thing started to appear.  as if im painting with my fingers lol. 

Just now, Victor Jones said:

here i dont think its mold anymore. it is like a greasy substance that appears out of nowhere whenever i touch the IO shield with my CLEAN fingers. maybe its some reaction with the metal due to heat?

Eh, worth giving it a good wipe down with some 91% IPA

3 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Eh, worth giving it a good wipe down with some 91% IPA

any ideas what it could be?

32 minutes ago, Victor Jones said:

any ideas what it could be?

If it comes back after an IPA wipe down, not sure.