thermal pads of a nvme MoBo heatsink

Hi guys.

I just want to know if in future I want to swap current nvme with one of a bigger size, can I use the same thermal pad (from a current nvme installed),which came on heatsink of a motherboard and just swap nvme devices?

Or is it too sticky and I'd need to buy another thermal pad?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

54 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Hi guys.

I just want to know if in future I want to swap current nvme with one of a bigger size, can I use the same thermal pad (from a current nvme installed),which came on heatsink of a motherboard and just swap nvme devices?

Or is it too sticky and I'd need to buy another thermal pad?

Most m.2s don’t need heat sinks at all.  The ones that might come with them.  Even a lot of the ones that don’t come with them anyway.  (This is also true of memory btw) As this one apparently Didn't I don’t see a problem as the worst it could do is nothing which is fine.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Thermal pad came with motherboard heatsink not on nvme device.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

8 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Thermal pad came with motherboard heatsink not on nvme device.

Doesn’t change the advice.  You’ll be fine.  I had a similar issue.  I left the heat sinks on because they were part of the motherboard and I didn’t want to lose them.  They won’t affect anything negatively, and unless the pad is encrusted in crud it will be fine too.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

So thermal pad won't get damaged if I swap the nvme device?

It would be still sticky?

6 minutes ago, frozensun said:

So thermal pad won't get damaged if I swap the nvme device?

It would be still sticky?

Yup.  A thermal pad is a piece of foam that has been impregnated with thermal conductive stuff, usually silicon oil, which is sticky.  The only way I know of to make them not sticky is to coat them in crud.  Even if it was coated in crud and no longer sticky though it would still be fine, because it isn’t really needed in the first place.

Edited by Bombastinator

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yup.  A thermal pad is a piece of foam that has been impregnated with thermal conductive stuff, usually silicon oil, which is sticky.  The only way I know of to make them not sticky is to coat them in crud.  Even if it was coated in crud and no longer sticky though it would still be fine, because it isn’t really needed in the first place.

But why then do they get damaged when people want to swap them on GPU memory chips?

Mainly because they are smaller and see way more heat overall. 
And not all companies source the same crap pad for their card as they do a motherboard. 
And most people dont know how to take things apart and when they do the pads tend to be old and dried up. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

12 hours ago, frozensun said:

But why then do they get damaged when people want to swap them on GPU memory chips?

Clumsiness.  Pieces get removed.  User fastidiousness, compression.  These are usually regarding pads in video cards where it actually does matter though.  With NVMEs it basically doesn’t, usually.  And in the few times it actually does you will want to use the heat sink that comes with the card anyway.  So use it if you want to.  Or don’t. It may help a bit with cooling though probably not in a way that actually matters.  Basically it’s more or less BS. Aesthetics.  Much like rgb.  You can care or not, but it doesn’t make your machine go faster or last longer.

Edited by Bombastinator

Ok guys.

Thanks.

I asked this because I want to install 2nd nvme of a just 1tb capacity in which case sometikes in future will upgrade the capacity if the thermal pad is reusable.

So in a a process of swapping the nvme device, thermal pad from a heatsink of MoBo won't get damaged?

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

So in a a process of swapping the nvme device, thermal pad from a heatsink of MoBo won't get damaged?

We’re still talking about nvme drives right? I would think They’re tough enough to withstand a drive swap if you’re reasonably careful. They’re usually just foam impregnated with silicone oil.

29 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

We’re still talking about nvme drives right? I would think They’re tough enough to withstand a drive swap if you’re reasonably careful. They’re usually just foam impregnated with silicone oil.

Yes correct.

Well I guess ,I need to be extra careful if in future I wanna swap the nvme device.

9 hours ago, frozensun said:

Yes correct.

Well I guess ,I need to be extra careful if in future I wanna swap the nvme device.

Shouldn’t be a problem.  I wouldn’t worry about the thermal pads.  They might do something but even if they don’t it doesn’t matter.