Mixing 2 Pairs of Ram

Go to solution Solved by BiotechBen,
2 minutes ago, LividXY said:

I have 16gb of ram currently.

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

But I wanted some more space so I bought 32gb of ram

G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

I will have 16gb stick and 8gb stick in an alternating pattern to maximize speed.

I want to know if there is any downside with having all 4 sticks in use. Or should I be using just the 32gb and either sell or save the 8gb sticks i have.

Thank you,

Livid

Sell the 8gb sticks, 48gb ram is an unusual amount to have and running very different sticks can cause problems depending on the platform. Additionally, the system will run all 4 sticks at the slower timings/speed of the lesser kit.

I will have 16gb stick and 8gb stick in an alternating pattern to maximize speed.

I want to know if there is any downside with having all 4 sticks in use. Or should I be using just the 32gb and either sell or save the 8gb sticks i have.

Thank you,

Livid

Thank you,

Livid

Sell the 8gb sticks, 48gb ram is an unusual amount to have and running very different sticks can cause problems depending on the platform. Additionally, the system will run all 4 sticks at the slower timings/speed of the lesser kit.

Hi Ben,

Perfect! Appreciate your advise. Sounds to me like you should always be avoiding using 4 sticks in a build. Especially if gaming will be the main use case. I'll take your

advise and look into selling the 8gb sticks.

Thank you,

Livid

3 minutes ago, LividXY said:

Hi Ben,

Perfect! Appreciate your advise. Sounds to me like you should always be avoiding using 4 sticks in a build. Especially if gaming will be the main use case. I'll take your

advise and look into selling the 8gb sticks.

Thank you,

Livid

4 sticks is perfectly fine. What's not is when you mix the sizes. so 4x8gb is ok, but 2x8gb+2x16gb is not.

Please mark as solved if I answered your question.

mixing ram has been tested and is a myth. j2c did a video on it and got a better score with mixed ram.

maybe on older platforms is was more a problem but with ddr4 its not.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Mixing rams both speed and capacity is totally fine assuming the ram ics are the same on the 2 different kits, all that matters is the ics since that dictates rams oc capabilities (good ones like djr can do 5200+) and compatibility, usually 2 different ics is totally fine atleast stock but sometimes ics just absolutely hate eachother and wont run even at 1600 ddr4

best way is to just test both the 32gb and 16gb kits together

11 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

mixing ram has been tested and is a myth. j2c did a video on it and got a better score with mixed ram.

maybe on older platforms is was more a problem but with ddr4 its not.

the performance benifit here is from running dual rank

Youll likely see the same performance benifit as seen here since 16gb sticks are mostly single rank nowadays

and btw you got scammed on 3600 cl16, expect to see 1% performance benifit and no more because primaries are irrelevant at best to performance

6 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Mixing rams both speed and capacity is totally fine assuming the ram ics are the same on the 2 different kits, all that matters is the ics since that dictates rams oc capabilities (good ones like djr can do 5200+) and compatibility, usually 2 different ics is totally fine atleast stock but sometimes ics just absolutely hate eachother and wont run even at 1600 ddr4

Youll likely see the same performance benifit as seen here since 16gb sticks are mostly single rank nowadays

and btw you got scammed on 3600 cl16, expect to see 1% performance benifit and no more because primaries are irrelevant at best to performance

the 3600 ram i got was because of the wb already added on there and they went on sale for $90. i didn't try to take the heat sink off the gskill ram but maybe one day. i did buy the heat gun and some to pry with and gloves but ill probably try sokeing it.

i was thinking on using both sticks but have to see if the wb ram is taller if i dont end up getting a 44 lane cpu so i can have ram on both side's of the mb... like i planed it..

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

2 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

the 3600 ram i got was because of the wb already added on there and they went on sale for $90. i didn't try to take the heat sink off the gskill ram but maybe one day. i did buy the heat gun and some to pry with and gloves but ill probably try sokeing it.

i was thinking on using both sticks but have to see if the wb ram is taller if i dont end up getting a 44 lane cpu so i can have ram on both side's of the mb... like i planed it..

Oh bruh i was talking about ops 32gb ram kit choice

On 12/8/2022 at 11:56 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

How is 3600 cl16 a scam? What should I go for instead?

How is 3600 cl16 a scam? What should I go for instead?

Primaries dont do shit for performance, especially when you are paying an extra 20$+ or running a crapload of volt into em

3 options for ram speed, 3200 cl16, 3600 cl18, overclock. Ignore oc unless you are interested cause oc can range from mildly annoying to driving you insane depending on what speed you are aiming for though most ppl will only venture to mildly annoying territory since most ppl just dont got the ram ics or boards that can hit properly high speeds (4600+) and benifit from desync fclk/gear 2 (5200+)