What's normal cause for frametime spikes?

cooperb21

I'm trying to figure out why my game is having issues. My average fps is very high getting same as my monitor refresh rate 144hz, but I have frametime/stutter issues. I've tried uninstalling drivers, closing things in background trying to find a software issue. I've done a clean install of windows to get same issue.... My Specs are 5800x3d, 32G of Ram 3600 speed, 6800xt amd card.

Shader compilation stutters? What game? Does it happen if you replay the same area a second time?

1 hour ago, Holmes108 said:

Shader compilation stutters? What game? Does it happen if you replay the same area a second time?

Fortnite. This is what it will look like when loading in and dropping, same when I get into ground in game. It's pretty sad because it feels worse to play than the console ver of the game for me.

Screenshot 2022-12-08 113742.png

I've tried new windows installs, clean driver installs, tried doing driver only with out amd software, tried messing with bios settings like disable xmp, disabling sam and disable ftpm. None of these fixed these huge spikes.

I've also tried closing everything in task bar in case of possible software issues.

19 hours ago, cooperb21 said:

This is what it will look like when loading in and dropping

honestly that looks just like game is loading assets etc.

so during actual gameplay once it loaded its better,  right?

and then it may load a new area, and so on?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

This is weird... Does it happen in any other game ?

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

11 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

This is weird... Does it happen in any other game ?

I think it might be Fortnite issue and AMD GPU. I found out someone I know has same CPU as me, but a Nvidia gpu and has no issues. I play other games like Apex, more demanding games SP games like Cyberpunk and Horizon Zero dawn and they butter smooth.

16 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

honestly that looks just like game is loading assets etc.

so during actual gameplay once it loaded its better,  right?

and then it may load a new area, and so on?

Honestly I think you might be right and it has to do with Fortnite skins. I'm wondering is that the problem with AMD GPUs and loading them in. As people with similar specs, but Nvidia gpu don't have the issue. Kind of sucks I guess I gotta play on console for and hope it's fixed. Or get nvidia gpu later on in a few years.

42 minutes ago, cooperb21 said:

Honestly I think you might be right and it has to do with Fortnite skins. I'm wondering is that the problem with AMD GPUs and loading them in. As people with similar specs, but Nvidia gpu don't have the issue. Kind of sucks I guess I gotta play on console for and hope it's fixed. Or get nvidia gpu later on in a few years.

hmm yeah it could be, some games aren't optimized well for amd, plus amd gpus have more lows, kind of seems to be an extreme case what you're seeing.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I've built a lot of systems with AMD gpus in the last 2 months, none of them has any issue, no matter if it's 6650XT or 6900XT. None of the customers complained about any problems yet and most of them are used for Fortnite.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |