3770K or 3820

Okok, keep it cool. No reason to get into a fight, I'm just asking advice here  ;)

I think that if I now have to chose between 3770K and 3820, I better take the 3770K 'cuz it owns the 3820 at almost everything, right?

It doesn't own it at everything. Okay, yes the 3770K is better than the 3820, but it's not like I ever said the 3820 kicks the 3770K's ass like the other guy did. Just look at the benchmarks he posted. The 3770K performs about 5-10% better. By no stretch of imagination is that 'owning' the 3820. Plus he didn't even show all the benchmarks or his source. Go ahead and get the 3930K, just don't get LGA1155.

It doesn't own it at everything. Okay, yes the 3770K is better than the 3820, but it's not like I ever said the 3820 kicks the 3770K's ass like the other guy did. Just look at the benchmarks he posted. The 3770K performs about 5-10% better. By no stretch of imagination is that 'owning' the 3820. Plus he didn't even show all the benchmarks or his source. Go ahead and get the 3930K, just don't get LGA1155.

or I could go for the 1150 & 4770K?  ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

Okok, keep it cool. No reason to get into a fight, I'm just asking advice here  ;)

I think that if I now have to chose between 3770K and 3820, I better take the 3770K 'cuz it owns the 3820 at almost everything, right?

if you have to buy right now try to get a 3930k otherwise try to wait for the 4930k, if money is an issue that will continue then get haswell or the 3770k but only if you know you wont be able to get a x930k

4770k comes out june 6th I thinn, but from the leaks it doesn't seem that impressive. They focused a lot on the IGP for this round, so IMO the 4770k won't warrant the price premium. Especially since the 3770k can be had for $230 at microcenter for the past 8 month. 

CPU: 5950x @ 4.5ghz All core OC perm GPU: GTX 3090 RAM: 128gb DDR4 

or I could go for the 1150 & 4770K?  ;)

It depends on your needs. LGA1150 will not be able to perform up to the LGA2011 platform. LGA1150 will be limited to 4 DIMM slots, and 4 core CPUs. On the other hand, you've got 8 core CPUs and 8 DIMM slots for LGA2011.

4770k comes out june 6th I thinn, but from the leaks it doesn't seem that impressive. They focused a lot on the IGP for this round, so IMO the 4770k won't warrant the price premium. Especially since the 3770k can be had for $230 at microcenter for the past 8 month. 

He's in Belgium, there are no microcenters there.

Depends on how much they will be selling the Haswell processors, and also, which motherboards will come out in 1150

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

Depends on how much they will be selling the Haswell processors, and also, which motherboards will come out in 1150

What will you be using the system for, and how extensive are they going to be? If you are going to edit videos, or use RAM intensive software, I'd suggest the 2011 platform. If you just plan to game at high settings, then go for Haswell. Only get the LGA2011 platform if you can afford it, need/want 8 DIMM slots, and support for 8 core CPUs.

What will you be using the system for, and how extensive are they going to be? If you are going to edit videos, or use RAM intensive software, I'd suggest the 2011 platform. If you just plan to game at high settings, then go for Haswell. Only get the LGA2011 platform if you can afford it, need/want 8 DIMM slots, and support for 8 core CPUs.

I'm not planning on editting videos or anything like that, I'm looking for a high-end gaming system

I'm not planning on editting videos or anything like that, I'm looking for a high-end gaming system

Then as long as you feel that you don't need 8 cores, or 64gb of RAM, go with Haswell as it will replace Socket H2 (LGA1155) the same way Socket H2 replaced Socket H (LGA1156).

Then as long as you feel that you don't need 8 cores, or 64gb of RAM, go with Haswell as it will replace Socket H2 (LGA1155) the same way Socket H2 replaced Socket H (LGA1156).

Ok, thank you!

I would wait for Haswell to release because they will have better performance than ivy bridge and will be more energy efficient. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

ok so to round up this thread in one post for future readers looking for similar advice...

purely gaming = 3770k as the z77 platform excels at it and x79 isnt gonna give you much of a gaming boost so it doesnt seem worth the extra cash

video editing/rendering = 3820 or better.. more ram more cores.. this platform is made for this type of task so kind of a no brainer

if your doing both like myself either is gonna be just fine.. pick whats in your price range and what makes you happy. waiting for haswell is an option but from the benchmarks ive seen for the 4770k its not gonna be worth the extra money, in my opinion get a 3770k and something like a sabertooth z77 or the maximus v boards... itll take whatever you throw at it :)

If you wan to put 3-4 cards in SLI, get the 3820

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Actually, those benchmarks are synthetic and they do not necessarily apply to real world applications. That said, on game benchmarks it will show you that both CPU's are neck to neck. The 2011 platform is still the better long term investment since the turn around for that socket is longer compared to mainstream sockets.

Actually, those benchmarks are synthetic and they do not necessarily apply to real world applications. That said, on game benchmarks it will show you that both CPU's are neck to neck. The 2011 platform is still the better long term investment since the turn around for that socket is longer compared to mainstream sockets.

Thank you for clarifying this, but I think he would be better off with a Haswell platform and investing more in graphics cards as he wants this to be a gaming machine rather than an editing/rendering machine. I have the Rampage IV Extreme along with an octo core Xeon, and it's great for what I do on that system. I don't want to see RaVenBelgium spending more money for features he doesn't need. I didn't know he was only going to use this as a high end gaming machine. I think LGA1150 will be good enough for his uses and he may be wasting his money on LGA2011 if he doesn't need the extra features. There is no doubt that LGA2011 is the flagship and most superior Intel consumer platform, but he won't need that much power and will be better off using that saved money to invest in better graphics cards.

True dat.

Cost comparison:

Links to 'geizhals.de/eu' since you live in Belgium.

It comes down to what you plan to do in the future or what you plan to do in the next 12 months.

If you want to buy a new PC the next or the year after anyways - go with the formula + 3570k and change your whole platform then.

OR

Get the 2011 Socket for 160€ more and upgrade whenever you see fit and whatever you think might actually benefit your computing experience :D

ok so to round up this thread in one post for future readers looking for similar advice...

purely gaming = 3770k as the z77 platform excels at it and x79 isnt gonna give you much of a gaming boost so it doesnt seem worth the extra cash

video editing/rendering = 3820 or better.. more ram more cores.. this platform is made for this type of task so kind of a no brainer

if your doing both like myself either is gonna be just fine.. pick whats in your price range and what makes you happy. waiting for haswell is an option but from the benchmarks ive seen for the 4770k its not gonna be worth the extra money, in my opinion get a 3770k and something like a sabertooth z77 or the maximus v boards... itll take whatever you throw at it :)

Yeah, it will probably be the 3770K with Maximus V Formula  ;)

If I may ask, what do you plan to use your system on?
Give us some info on that and we might actually be able to help you even better :)

If I may ask, what do you plan to use your system on?

Give us some info on that and we might actually be able to help you even better :)

Mostly gaming, all on highest settings of course  :P

Thank you for clarifying this, but I think he would be better off with a Haswell platform and investing more in graphics cards as he wants this to be a gaming machine rather than an editing/rendering machine. I have the Rampage IV Extreme along with an octo core Xeon, and it's great for what I do on that system. I don't want to see RaVenBelgium spending more money for features he doesn't need. I didn't know he was only going to use this as a high end gaming machine. I think LGA1150 will be good enough for his uses and he may be wasting his money on LGA2011 if he doesn't need the extra features. There is no doubt that LGA2011 is the flagship and most superior Intel consumer platform, but he won't need that much power and will be better off using that saved money to invest in better graphics cards.

So it's best that I go with the 3770K and the Maximus V Formula (love the motherboard), or should I wait and see what Haswell will offer?

I would go with the 3770k because you can overclock 

I would go with the 3770k because you can overclock 

But what will the 4770K offer (and how much can it be overclocked)?

But what will the 4770K offer (and how much can it be overclocked)?

The overclock that you will be able to do depends on what you put on it to cooling, here for example with a h100i on a maximus formula V They reach 4.7GHz but  4.4GHz you can get quite easily

http://rog.asus.com/194232013/overclocking/overclocking-guide-4-7ghz-core-i7-3770k-on-the-maximus-v-formula/