"NOT FOR RESALE" on Ryzen 5 5600G - Is there a higher chance that the CPU is faulty?

Slidex
Go to solution Solved by 8tg,

OEM stock, so likely part of a large lot sold to system integrators that’s not meant to be sold on its own, but as part of a system. This is a weird little legal runaround thing that allows things like processors to be sold similar to how raw materials or stock is sold, rather than off the shelf consumer retail packaged products.

Since it’s in a box and not a tray, probably for a smaller SI like origin or ibuypower or something like that.

Not any inherent risk with it, it’s the same cpu, just went through a non retail channel at some point.

Hi,

First of all, sorry for my bad English 🙂

I want to buy Ryzen 5 5600G (or 5700G), and on an advertisement site I found a seller who is from the same city where I am from, and who sells it (new, unopened, in original packaging) at a price that is about 35 euros lower than in "regular stores". He has a lot of positive reviews/feedback on that site, however, in the photos he posted, I saw that the box had a "NOT FOR RESALE" sticker on it:

138069038_629ce3e3da6df9-568903961.jpg

Do you maybe know why it has that sticker? Is there a higher chance that the CPU is faulty (is it worth the risk to buy it)?

OEM stock, so likely part of a large lot sold to system integrators that’s not meant to be sold on its own, but as part of a system. This is a weird little legal runaround thing that allows things like processors to be sold similar to how raw materials or stock is sold, rather than off the shelf consumer retail packaged products.

Since it’s in a box and not a tray, probably for a smaller SI like origin or ibuypower or something like that.

Not any inherent risk with it, it’s the same cpu, just went through a non retail channel at some point.

4 minutes ago, Slidex said:

Hi,

First of all, sorry for my bad English 🙂

I want to buy Ryzen 5 5600G (or 5700G), and on an advertisement site I found a seller who is from the same city where I am from, and who sells it (new, unopened, in original packaging) at a price that is about 35 euros lower than in "regular stores". He has a lot of positive reviews/feedback on that site, however, in the photos he posted, I saw that the box had a "NOT FOR RESALE" sticker on it:

138069038_629ce3e3da6df9-568903961.jpg

Do you maybe know why it has that sticker? Is there a higher chance that the CPU is faulty (is it worth the risk to buy it)?

It has nothing to do with reliability or faulty cpu. It just means that it likely came from a system integrator and is to be used in a pre-built and sold as a complete system, not sold piece by piece.

The CPU not faulty, probably a system integrator unit, not sold to public.

I suspect you wont get the full 3 years warranty from AMD. Please check that before buying.

Warranty is very handy if you plan to resell it in the future.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

The CPU not faulty, probably a system integrator unit, not sold to public.

I suspect you wont get the full 3 years warranty from AMD. Please check that before buying.

Warranty is very handy if you plan to resell it in the future.

That's pretty standard when buying stuff on a second harnd market place. Generally you only get warranty when buying through a shop.

So, the risk is not getting AMD warranty.

I think it's not worth it, it's just 35 euros (~$37) - it's better to buy through "regular" shop I guess (but I'll first contact that seller and see what he has to say about warranty... ).

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

That's pretty standard when buying stuff on a second harnd market place. Generally you only get warranty when buying through a shop.

AFAIK warranty is attached with the unit number not by customer. A used parts with warranty left will sell faster in my experience.

3 hours ago, Slidex said:

So, the risk is not getting AMD warranty.

I think it's not worth it, it's just 35 euros (~$37) - it's better to buy through "regular" shop I guess (but I'll first contact that seller and see what he has to say about warranty... ).

Thank you!

on the bright side, faulty CPU is close to zero, unless there's a physical damage, in which void the warranty anyway.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

50 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

AFAIK warranty is attached with the unit number not by customer. A used parts with warranty left will sell faster in my experience.

on the bright side, faulty CPU is close to zero, unless there's a physical damage, in which void the warranty anyway.

Not sure where you are, but Canada and most places in USA, warranty is non-transferable. 

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Not sure where you are, but Canada and most places in USA, warranty is non-transferable. 

Yeah in the USA warranties cannot be transferred unless a company specifically allows it. EVGA does allow a transferable warranty, it's a very rare thing. 

On CPUs though, warranties are effectively useless. CPUs either work or they don't work, the failure rate of processors after a month up to 5 years without user error being the issue is so low it's effectively none. 

Plus, user error isn't officially covered by warranty. Overclocking technically voids warranty, though there's really no way for anyone to prove you overclocked so as long as you lie they would never be able to know. The highest failure rate for Ryzen 5000 CPUs is pin damage from dropping them (seriously, so easy to do) and that's not covered by warranty.