Entry level NAS with at least 1080p h265 transcoding capability

Baterka

Hello, I am searching for entry level 2 bay NAS for small apartment.
I will be mainly used for:
- An occasional backup of important photos/videos/documents 

- Service that will sync those backup data with another remote NAS, or cloud
- Plex server (mainly 1080p h264/h265 videos)

I know that every basic entry level NAS can do backups perfectly, but I also want to be able to stream h264 videos (and transcode h265 videos) to Plex Client on TV/Mobile (local only) in max 1080p (not absurdly high bitrates).
Is there any good 2 bay NAS that can do that and not freeze when someone will be watching video on Plex + backups will be uploaded (that means 2 tasks)?

I was looking into QNAP TS233. Synology also seems as an option, but they are more pricey and have less RAM which I think is important for more tasks at once.

Thanks for advice.

Website programmer & Electrician & PC HW lover!

Neither will work.

The cheap synologies use atoms and those struggle enough during normal operation.

The qnap has an stronger arm cpu but its arm and well still quite basic so dont expect it to work either.

Sounds to me a generic pc with truenas will be your best bet

3 hours ago, Baterka said:

I also want to be able to stream h264 videos (and transcode h265 videos) to Plex Client on TV/Mobile (local only) in max 1080p (not absurdly high bitrates).

If it’s local, why do you need to transcode at all?

Streaming using direct play (not actually transcoding anything) can work on a potato. It takes effectively no resources from the machine. Transcoding is when you need to change the codec or change the quality, which is what takes actual power. If your planing to mostly use this for local playback within your home, don’t transcode at all… make sure you have media that can be played by whatever player you intend to play it on. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

As @LIGISTX mentioned, you shouldn't need to transcode at all.  If all your media is 1080 and all your clients are 1080 capable, just set the clients to play original quality and it'll keep transcoding to a minimum.

The Qnap will be able to do some transcoding, probably one 1080 to 720, but not much more.

Here is a write up on the Qnap TS-233 you mentioned:

QNAP TS-233 Plex Media Server NAS Tests – NAS Compares

Desktop: Intel i7-13700K / Asus ROG Strix  z690-e / Nvidia 4080 FE / 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator / 2TB  WD SN850x  / 48" Lg C2 & 27" Asus ProArt

Plex Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010 /  i7-13700 /  32GB DDR5 / 1TB Samsung  990 Pro / Ubuntu

Laptop: M2 Macbook Air / 8G ram / 8core CPU / 10core GPU / 512GB SSD

NAS: Synology 1821+ , 2x Synology RS819 = 200TB 

On 12/2/2022 at 4:39 PM, LIGISTX said:

If it’s local, why do you need to transcode at all?

Streaming using direct play (not actually transcoding anything) can work on a potato. It takes effectively no resources from the machine. Transcoding is when you need to change the codec or change the quality, which is what takes actual power. If your planing to mostly use this for local playback within your home, don’t transcode at all… make sure you have media that can be played by whatever player you intend to play it on. 

Older SmartTVs mostly does not know or support h265 codex and Plex must transcode it.

5 hours ago, Baterka said:

Older SmartTVs mostly does not know or support h265 codex and Plex must transcode it.

I can confirm this. This is why I setup one diy style with truenas and a cheap quadro card for my parents as well. The box I built for them without storage was about 400.

In that case... save your files as 264? Or get an nvidia shield tv (the best streaming device bar non) and use plex on that. It works with basically everything. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

It seems to be something that a Synology DS220+ or a QNAP TS262C could handle. Although having only 2 tiny X86 cores, they can somewhat not only sync files but also make transcoding with the iGPU. Moreover, they have out-of-the-box function for access outside their home.☺️

BTW, this TS233 was equipped with an ARM processor, which may not be capable of Plex or any transcoding.

On 12/4/2022 at 6:23 AM, LIGISTX said:

In that case... save your files as 264? Or get an nvidia shield tv (the best streaming device bar non) and use plex on that. It works with basically everything. 

So everything comes to h265 support on client device right? If client can play h265, Plex have no problem playing it without transcoding? No need for x86 cpu or Plex Pass?

20 hours ago, Bersella AI said:

It seems to be something that a Synology DS220+ or a QNAP TS262C could handle. Although having only 2 tiny X86 cores, they can somewhat not only sync files but also make transcoding with the iGPU. Moreover, they have out-of-the-box function for access outside their home.☺️

BTW, this TS233 was equipped with an ARM processor, which may not be capable of Plex or any transcoding.

I am able to stream 1080p mid-tier bitrate on TS-130A I have at my home 😄 Just transcoding is ass and does not work at all, yes... 
So DS220+ will be enough for 1080p transcoding + some background sync?

So everything comes to h265 support on client device right? If client can play h265, Plex have no problem playing it without transcoding? No need for x86 cpu or Plex Pass?

Correct. As long as the device playing the file can play the codec, no transcode is needed. I watch mostly only 4k Dolby vision content, Plex plays is no problem since my nvidia shield can play that without the need for transcode. My machine is not at all fast enough to transcode 4k HDR - I have tried it for fun, it can’t do it. But it direct plays it without even trying. 

get yourself a cheap prebuilt with intel UHD 630 graphics or newer for around $200. if youre only looking for 2 bays, it should suit you fine and can even do 4k transcoding using quicksync. something like an optiplex 7060 or an hp. 2 bay NAS systems generally arent worth the price from what ive seen.

It doesnt matter who wins and who loses, because in the end, the king and the pawn go into the same box.