Best way to wipe old windows boot drive?

I recently added a new nvme drive to my pc and decided to make it my new boot drive. I did a fresh install of win10 on it and saved all the important files from the old boot drive. How do I now completely format the old boot drive to make it into a simple volume storage drive in windows?

Format the whole drive partitions, then merge them with software.

https://www.howtogeek.com/235348/how-to-combine-multiple-partitions-into-a-single-partition/

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

26 minutes ago, lemonhope135 said:

I recently added a new nvme drive to my pc and decided to make it my new boot drive. I did a fresh install of win10 on it and saved all the important files from the old boot drive. How do I now completely format the old boot drive to make it into a simple volume storage drive in windows?

Go into Disk Management and lookup the drive letter for the drive you want to use as a storage device. So let's pretend disk 1 in my case just because that has multiple partitions (ignore the fact it's my boot drive, just imagine this was drive D:, your old boot drive).

image.png.7addc758f9b32377c221fa247d1b1dda.png

Then go into Command Prompt and enter the following commands

diskpart
list disk

image.png.30563441ce892716dda822deb213a87e.png

Verify disk 1 is the drive you want to delete then select it by using:

select disk 1

If it's not disk 1, replace it with which ever disk number is listed. So disk 0, disk 2, etc. 

Now use clean to wipe the drive of all partitions, create a new partition, then select that newly created partition. 

clean
create part pri
select part 1

Spoiler

Optional:

If you want to secure wipe or zero out the drive so no data can be recovered, you can add the all flag on the clean command. This will take much longer to complete but will remove all partitions zero and out the drive completely. 

clean all

Now you want to format the partition and assign it a drive letter. Once done, you can use the disk as mass storage. 

format fs=ntfs quick
assign

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Do what @BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said. It's the best way,

22 minutes ago, lemonhope135 said:

if you want to fully clean it, you can just use a built in windows utility.

Open the command prompt, with administrator privileges.
Type "diskpart" and hit enter.
type "list disk" hit enter.
Find your disk, make note of the number is asigned on the left.
next type "select disk n" where n is the number of the disk. Make sure you have the right disk selected.
Next type "clean"
Your disk should now be wiped.
Next, go to Disk Management. You cand find it by typing Disk management in the windows menu, it will be called "creat and format disk partitions" or similar
FInd the drive that you wiped, it should be the one with a black bar.
Right click, and hit initialize.
From there follow the directions
Then once it is done, right click, select "create partition" then folow the dirrections

There you go, your disk is useable.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler