While pre-booting build CPU light turned on on motherboard.

JmaxAvatar
Go to solution Solved by NF-A12x25,

CPU light should stay lit for several minutes on first boot with ryzen 5000. Just wait longer.

Hi all.

Today I started my first build ever. I had been preping up before starting it and even though I do not have the GPU at the moment (arrives Wednesday), decided to build everything else in the mean time.

Motherboard in use is an Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX. 

Firstly I mounted the CPU which is an AMD Ryzen 9 7950X. Everything seemed to have gone smoothly and no issues were had.

Then I mounted the RAM. Only have 2 x 16GB consair Vengeance RAM DDR5 5600 which I mounted on DDR5_A2 and DDR5_B2 as per LTT guide for building a PC. Once this was done I mounted the ssd to the M2B_CPU slot. Reason I mounted it here is because is the a gen 4 samsung 980 and from the looks of it I think the M2A_CPU is for gen 5. Then I added the bracket for the AIO cooler and connected the 4 pin to the led connection.

image.png.11a285d12c60be32509be0c0db91b32b.png

Once I had finished doing all of this as a pre-test as per the LTT guide I connected the motherboard to the PSU with the 24 pin connection to #2 of the image above. The I connected the PSU cables that said CPU to both the connection labeled as #1 in the image above. I then connected to the monitor via HDMI, turned on the PSU and placed the screwdrivers head on the pwr switch at the bottom right, located on #11 in the image above. The AIO cooler started working and spinning but the motherboard lit a light in red which was marked as CPU. The monitor didn't display anything althought I must mention that I currently do not have a keyboard with which I could had given any input.

After having seen the lit CPU light I tried mounting the CPU again, disconnected and connected the ram and the ssd but nothing seemed to make the light turn off. Could the issue be that I just tried turning on without a GPU? I don't really know what the issue is and I don't know what else to do. I'm new to building so I'm not very confident with the process and I want to learn and try to fix what the issue is. 

Any idea what might be causing the error?

3 minutes ago, JmaxAvatar said:

Hi all.

Today I started my first build ever. I had been preping up before starting it and even though I do not have the GPU at the moment (arrives Wednesday), decided to build everything else in the mean time.

Motherboard in use is an Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX. 

Firstly I mounted the CPU which is an AMD Ryzen 9 7950X. Everything seemed to have gone smoothly and no issues were had.

Then I mounted the RAM. Only have 2 x 16GB consair Vengeance RAM DDR5 5600 which I mounted on DDR5_A2 and DDR5_B2 as per LTT guide for building a PC. Once this was done I mounted the ssd to the M2B_CPU slot. Reason I mounted it here is because is the a gen 4 samsung 980 and from the looks of it I think the M2A_CPU is for gen 5. Then I added the bracket for the AIO cooler and connected the 4 pin to the led connection.

image.png.11a285d12c60be32509be0c0db91b32b.png

Once I had finished doing all of this as a pre-test as per the LTT guide I connected the motherboard to the PSU with the 24 pin connection to #2 of the image above. The I connected the PSU cables that said CPU to both the connection labeled as #1 in the image above. I then connected to the monitor via HDMI, turned on the PSU and placed the screwdrivers head on the pwr switch at the bottom right, located on #11 in the image above. The AIO cooler started working and spinning but the motherboard lit a light in red which was marked as CPU. The monitor didn't display anything althought I must mention that I currently do not have a keyboard with which I could had given any input.

After having seen the lit CPU light I tried mounting the CPU again, disconnected and connected the ram and the ssd but nothing seemed to make the light turn off. Could the issue be that I just tried turning on without a GPU? I don't really know what the issue is and I don't know what else to do. I'm new to building so I'm not very confident with the process and I want to learn and try to fix what the issue is. 

Any idea what might be causing the error?

The 7950X does have integrated graphics, so it SHOULD post with them, sounds like a BIOS update may be something in your future. I would try running one RAM stick, going slot by slot to see if it posts, sometimes one faulty RAM stick can cause a system not to POST

@JmaxAvatar Might also want to keep in mind that this MB has built-in micro-switches for power, reset, and CMOS clear built onto the board. No need to short across jumpers. The first 2 are just above the power header (#2), and the CMOS clear is between #11 and #4.

First of, as this is the first boot. How long did you wait for exactly? Try to wait for a few minutes and see if the the lights would cycle. By the way, was it blinking or solid on cpu?

Another thing you might want to check, as this is your first time building, is how much you've tighten the screws on your AIO. Because if you might have overtighten them and it's pressing or bending the pins. Which is why your getting an error for CPU. Or you can try to reseat the cpu just to check, as that's where you are getting your error. Remove the cmos battery as well for a few min(just in case).

16 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

The 7950X does have integrated graphics, so it SHOULD post with them, sounds like a BIOS update may be something in your future. I would try running one RAM stick, going slot by slot to see if it posts, sometimes one faulty RAM stick can cause a system not to POST

Thank you for the guidance. I'll try it tomorrow after work. For the moment I mounted the motherboard in the case and closed everythig for the time being.

9 minutes ago, sailsman63 said:

@JmaxAvatar Might also want to keep in mind that this MB has built-in micro-switches for power, reset, and CMOS clear built onto the board. No need to short across jumpers. The first 2 are just above the power header (#2), and the CMOS clear is between #11 and #4.

Thank you very much. Didn't know. I'll definitely will having it in mind next time I test. I must admit that I don't knwo what CMOS is though. The other two I imagine would just power the system and such.

8 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

First of, as this is the first boot. How long did you wait for exactly? Try to wait for a few minutes and see if the the lights would cycle. By the way, was it blinking or solid on cpu?

Another thing you might want to check, as this is your first time building, is how much you've tighten the screws on your AIO. Because if you might have overtighten them and it's pressing or bending the pins. Which is why your getting an error for CPU. Or you can try to reseat the cpu just to check, as that's where you are getting your error. Remove the cmos battery as well for a few min(just in case).

I believe the most I waited for was for like 30 seconds to 1 minute. The light was solid red on CPU.

I believe I didn't overtighten the screws, but just in case I had double checked and also while re-mounting the cpu I verified that no pin had been bent. As far as I could see I didn't see any bent pins. I'll check the cpu again tomorrow after work, thank you for the advice.

I don't know what exactly is the CMOS battery but I'll look into it. Thank you very much.

Wanted to ask if it could also be a problem directly with the Motherboard or CPU which might require a replacement? Of course, this would most likely be the last option after having gone through everything else.

CPU light should stay lit for several minutes on first boot with ryzen 5000. Just wait longer.

Sometimes your motherboard bios needs to be updated to support newer cpus. You can go online and check for bios revision notes to check this.

I would definitely wait at least 5 minutes on first boot as AM5 seems to do extensive memory training on first boot. If there is still no post, yours is the third post I've seen in the last week with this issue on new Gigabyte board models. Not sure what the cause could be.

7 hours ago, JmaxAvatar said:

I believe the most I waited for was for like 30 seconds to 1 minute. The light was solid red on CPU.

I believe I didn't overtighten the screws, but just in case I had double checked and also while re-mounting the cpu I verified that no pin had been bent. As far as I could see I didn't see any bent pins. I'll check the cpu again tomorrow after work, thank you for the advice.

I don't know what exactly is the CMOS battery but I'll look into it. Thank you very much.

Wanted to ask if it could also be a problem directly with the Motherboard or CPU which might require a replacement? Of course, this would most likely be the last option after having gone through everything else.

If all physical installation checks out. Then the best thing you do is to really wait for a few minutes to see if it will post, as it might take a longer time. Personally, I would remove the cmos battery, just in case. It's a circular battery, it could be just below the gpu pcie slot or at the bottom of the motherboard, you can't miss it. It basically powers and keeps the settings of the bios. once you insert it back. Just for testing, only use one ram.

Another things you can try: you haven't mentioned it, but again, just in case, make sure to remove if there's any usb flash drive. 2nd, if the motherboard has another display output, like a displayport, try it as well. I don't have an AM5, but I know someone who encounter an issue that his pc did not initially boot when using a specific port.

If it's still not working, it might really be hardware issue, but you might not be able to troubleshoot it unless you know someone who also have an AM5 system, so you can swap each part to check which one is not working.