Managed to overclock i7-3770 non-K

Go to solution Solved by isteelsolz,

Overclocking is restricted directly in the chip...

You must have one that they didnt restrict correctly

L33T H4X Br0

Or you know how to use photoshop.

Hi people,

I just managed to overcklock my non-K i7-3770 to about 4.2 Ghz by just changing the multiplier in the bios (mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3)

Is this just a firmware bug or something bad (PC explodes in 3...2...1...)?

post-52409-0-72744500-1398990263.jpg

The k refers to the voltage being unlocked, you can overcloxk non k skus but normally not as much due to the locked voltage.

Edit : I'm fairly sure that's correct but if I'm wrong please correct me

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Hi people,

I just managed to overcklock my non-K i7-3770 to about 4.2 Ghz by just changing the multiplier in the bios (mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3)

Nope the regular multiplier is locked whereas the BCLK is not. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

L33T H4X Br0

Also known to his peers as Lord Scrubby McScrubington

The k refers to the voltage being unlocked, you can overcloxk non k skus but normally not as much due to the locked voltage.

Edit : I'm fairly sure that's correct but if I'm wrong please correct me

Nope the regular multiplier is locked whereas the BCLK is not. 

nope.

The multiplier is unlocked to a certain point.

Intel calls it limited overclocking

L33T H4X Br0

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

L33T H4X Br0

Thx for the quick answer (...and I didnt use/dont own photoshop :P )

L33T H4X Br0

Or even paint.

Diamond 5 in League :)

I can imagine if an Intel representative came into your house with a baseball bat and hacked apart your computer, then screams "YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO DO THAT!" before pulling his pants down and running out of your house.

Still learning how to play Dota 2 :)

Cool!

This is making me want to get a i7 4970 instead of the i7 4970k.

Will i need a Z97 board to be able to overclock or will a high end H97 work as well?

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Cool!

Will i need a Z97 board to be able to overclock or will a high end H97 work as well?

You need the 4970k. If you read the thread this was a freak accident on the manufacturer's part

nope.

The multiplier is unlocked to a certain point.

Intel calls it limited overclocking

You need the 4970k. If you read the thread this was a freak accident on the manufacturer's part

I did read the thread and i read the first quote which i quoted and it suggests that i can OC a 4970. My question is, will i need a z97 board to do that "limited overclocking"?

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Just thought I'd tell you I got more out of my Sempron, even with both cores unlocked using the same method...

Still, not bad.

+1GHz, bitch. ;)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I did read the thread and i read the first quote which i quoted and it suggests that i can OC a 4970. My question is, will i need a z97 board to do that "limited overclocking"?

AFAIK there's no 4970K or non K.

And I recall reading something about them gimping limited overclocking or taking it out completely.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Base Clock overclocking is dangerous waters since it not only affects CPU but also your RAM.

Isn't this just turbo? My i7-3770 runs at 4.3ghz max turbo all the time under a bit of load. If i use more than one core tho it starts to drop of course. In all my games it still runs at 4.1-4.3ghz. My "fixed" base clock multipler is locked at 34 tho, but i still never see less than 3.8ghz, even under a stress test.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

• 2 weeks later...

L33T H4X Br0

Actually it's not hard to oc a locked cpu if your motherboard supports voltage/core frequency tweaking. I have an asus p8p67m and an i7 2600, and even the minumum automatic tuning the asus software allows can easily bring my cpu to 4.3 ghz. The unlocked multiplier is only useful with very high, over-5ghz frequencies.

Cool!

as I said above you can overclock locked cpus easily even on a p67 motherboard like mine. BUT, the h-series chipsets are usually installed on motherboards which do not allow these tweaks (in fact it might be a limitation of the chipset, I'm not sure), so I would still go for a z series chipset. if you already own a motherboard that supports the 4970 and has a z-series chipset there's no reason to upgrade, or at least none regarding oc. also, YOU WILL NOT REACH EXTREME FREQUENCIES with a locked cpu, so bare that in mind. I wouldn't push it over 4.7ghz because of stability issues, and even then I would not feel very comfortable.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hi people,

Does it stay at 4.2Ghz at all times or does it just boost to 4.2 when one core is active ?

Does it stay at 4.2Ghz at all times or does it just boost to 4.2 when one core is active ?

It always stays at 4.2Ghz

It always stays at 4.2Ghz

Can you overclock it to 4.3Ghz ? Maximum CPU ration for the 3770 should be 43.

Some boards have the agressive turbo feature that nobody actually is aware of. Basically the max turbo for this cpu is 3.9GHz or 3.8GHz can't remember exactly but once you enable XMP the motherboard you get when all 4 cores are being used 3.9GHz in prime95.

zXj5B0E.png

oKAUQF8.png

Locked chips do come with a few more multipliers thats it so it isn't fake.