Why does undervolting improve performance?

Go to solution Solved by Bad5ector,
2 minutes ago, HARDWELL9191 said:

But I don't get It I just decreased the voltage to the CPU shouldn't the performance also drop with the temps?

Think of it as a reverse overclock, you're trying to get your CPU to run as fast as possible at the lowest possible voltage without crashing. Instead of trying to increase the voltage and the CPU clock speed. Undervolting you are telling the CPU to try and run at whatever setting it is with limited voltage. This will produce less heat and less heat means it can run at the higher speeds longer. If you get a really good chip, you could undervolt and even OC a bit. Get the highest clock possible, at the lowest voltage possible is the name of the game.

I'm a newbie at this undervolting stuff. So just wondering shouldn't less voltage decrase the power of the cpu and not increase It. I've tried undervolting and had better performance. How exactly is this possible? How does this all work?

Doesn't always work like that, but

GPU that becomes unstable at higher voltage, is simply more stable at (underclocked) lower voltage.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

I'm a newbie at this undervolting stuff. So just wondering shouldn't less voltage decrase the power of the cpu and not increase It. I've tried undervolting and had better performance. How exactly is this possible? How does this all work?

Because of thermal headroom

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

1 minute ago, ShawtyT30beTHICCC said:

Because of thermal headroom

Would appreciate If you could explain a bit more yeah I get that this drops the temps and therefore the performance gets better. But I don't get It I just decreased the voltage to the CPU shouldn't the performance also drop with the temps?

Undervolting generally only increases performance in two related circumstances, either the chip is power limited (usually only a thing in laptops/small integrated devices) or it's thermal limited. The reason undervolting can increase performance in those cases is because reducing the voltage, and thus the power draw of the chip, can help prevent the chip from hitting those limits.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

3 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Undervolting generally only increases performance in two related circumstances, either the chip is power limited (generally only a thing in laptops/small integrated devices) or it's thermal limited. The reason undervolting can increase performance in those cases is because reducing the voltage, and thus the power draw of the chip, can help prevent the chip from hitting those limits.

So basically my cooler is the problem and therefore the cpu is throttling and that's why I get better performance with undervolting?

1 minute ago, HARDWELL9191 said:

So basically my cooler is the problem and is throttling the cpu and that's why I get better performance with undervolting?

Not necessairly cooler problem.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

But I don't get It I just decreased the voltage to the CPU shouldn't the performance also drop with the temps?

Think of it as a reverse overclock, you're trying to get your CPU to run as fast as possible at the lowest possible voltage without crashing. Instead of trying to increase the voltage and the CPU clock speed. Undervolting you are telling the CPU to try and run at whatever setting it is with limited voltage. This will produce less heat and less heat means it can run at the higher speeds longer. If you get a really good chip, you could undervolt and even OC a bit. Get the highest clock possible, at the lowest voltage possible is the name of the game.

So basically my cooler is the problem and therefore the cpu is throttling and that's why I get better performance with undervolting?

I would assume from your other posts that your CPU is a Ryzen CPU. Ryzen's boosting behavior is rather complex, and has multiple factors to it - temperature and power being the most important.

For Ryzen 3000 and 5000 series, the CPUs do a light throttling before a heavy thermal throttling at TJmax. Keeping a Ryzen CPU cool will allow it to boost higher. This is how Precision Boost works - which is not to be confused with Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO). Also, undervolting Ryzen will allow the CPU to remain under its power budget more easily, which will let the CPU boost higher if it would otherwise encounter the PPT limit.

3 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

If I had a good AIO for example I wouldn't even need to undervolt then cuz It could keep the CPU at max boost clocks pretty much all the time since It wouldn't be thermally limited right?

Just now, HARDWELL9191 said:

If I had a good AIO for example I wouldn't even need to undervolt then cuz It could keep the CPU at max boost clocks pretty much all the time right?

Maybe, but only in thermally constrained situations. If it's a power limit problem, then the AIO wouldn't help. And since you have a 5800X3D (I believe) you can't raise the PPT, TDC, or EDC limits with PBO, and therefore undervolting is the only way to (in a sense) give the CPU more of a power budget.

1 minute ago, HARDWELL9191 said:

If I had a good AIO for example I wouldn't even need to undervolt then cuz It could keep the CPU at max boost clocks pretty much all the time right?

Well, not really. Still will hit higher temps regardless stock than you would undervolting.

Undervolting is not the magical solution that some claim, I have yet to see any quantifiable data on the subject.  

Lowering the power will reduce temps but performance will vary. 

Max boost will not happen under stock power settings on zen 3, neither will max performance. If you are having thermal issues within the stock limits you need to work on your cooling. 

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

5 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Well, not really. Still will hit higher temps regardless stock than you would undervolting.

6 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Maybe, but only in thermally constrained situations. If it's a power limit problem, then the AIO wouldn't help. And since you have a 5800X3D (I believe) you can't raise the PPT, TDC, or EDC limits with PBO, and therefore undervolting is the only way to (in a sense) give the CPU more of a power budget.

10 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

16 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Undervolting generally only increases performance in two related circumstances, either the chip is power limited (usually only a thing in laptops/small integrated devices) or it's thermal limited. The reason undervolting can increase performance in those cases is because reducing the voltage, and thus the power draw of the chip, can help prevent the chip from hitting those limits.

Thank you all for the help.

Timestamped the video. Less voltage makes less heat. You can go past the point of gaining performance and actually lose it, but the video does a really good job at simplifying it.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?