Ryzen 5 at 0.54 ghz

Hi, my Ryzen 5 CPU is stuck at 0.54 ghz, I recently upgraded my GPU to a 3060 ti and changed the case, not sure what the issue is. I've updated my drivers, checked temps and updated and reset bios.

19 minutes ago, Kidblunder said:

Hi, my Ryzen 5 CPU is stuck at 0.54 ghz, I recently upgraded my GPU to a 3060 ti and changed the case, not sure what the issue is. I've updated my drivers, checked temps and updated and reset bios.

what programs have you tried getting the CPU to higher clocks, and what program are you using to tell you the clock of your CPU? Please tell me it isn't task manager 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

what programs have you tried getting the CPU to higher clocks, and what program are you using to tell you the clock of your CPU? Please tell me it isn't task manager 

Ryzen master and cpu-z, I haven't tried increasing it, couldn't figure out how.

Just now, Kidblunder said:

Ryzen master and cpu-z, I haven't tried increasing it, couldn't figure out how.

wait... so you haven't tried running CPU intensive programs like a benchmark to check the clocks... wtf 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

wait... so you haven't tried running CPU intensive programs like a benchmark to check the clocks... wtf 

okay sorry that was a little rude, CPU clocks change all the time in response to the load that is on the CPU. If you are not loading it it will sit a lower clockrate to save on power 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

okay sorry that was a little rude, CPU clocks change all the time in response to the load that is on the CPU. If you are not loading it it will sit a lower clockrate to save on power 

My brother I can't run any CPU intensive tasks because it takes 20 minutes to open edge (fresh install of windows) every thing is very slow and unresponsive. I ran the built-in test in Ryzen master and nothing else.

Go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings, select "Change advanced power settings" and verify if Processor power management > maximum processor state is at 100%.

2 minutes ago, Yasashii said:

Go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings, select "Change advanced power settings" and verify if Processor power management > maximum processor state is at 100%.

It is

2 minutes ago, Kidblunder said:

It is

What are the full system specs?

Generally it's a good idea to include this whenever you post for help and troubleshooting

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

You said you checked temps. What are they? Have you made sure you completely plugged in both halves of the 8 pin cpu power connector?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

You said you checked temps. What are they? Have you made sure you completely plugged in both halves of the 8 pin cpu power connector?

32c idle, Yes

7 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

What are the full system specs?

Generally it's a good idea to include this whenever you post for help and troubleshooting

3060 ti, Ryzen 5 3600, 16 gbs of ddr4, and a tomahawk b450 elite mobo

Just now, Kidblunder said:

3060 ti, Ryzen 5 3600, 16 gbs of ddr4, and a tomahawk b450 elite mobo

when did you last update the BIOS? 

what storage do you use? (mostly out of curiosity) 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

10 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

when did you last update the BIOS? 

what storage do you use? (mostly out of curiosity) 

Today, nvm.e ssd and a 2tb hdd

1 minute ago, Kidblunder said:

Today, nvm.e ssd and a 2tb hdd

Was it working fine before you updated the BIOS. what BIOS are you running? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Was it working fine before you updated the BIOS. what BIOS are you running? 

I updated it in an attempt to fix the issue, it happened after moving the PC to a new case and adding the new gpu

5 minutes ago, Kidblunder said:

I updated it in an attempt to fix the issue, it happened after moving the PC to a new case and adding the new gpu

Have you tried reseating the CPU?

Also tried with the original GPU in that case?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Sounds like Windows is really unhappy, or your HDD is not happy. What does the performance tab of Task Manager look like?

Either way, you can rule out a hardware issue by using a Linux live-USB. If it works fine there, then you know the issue is software or the HDD.

Edit: Also would be a good idea to DDU the graphics driver.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

12 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Have you tried reseating the CPU?

Also tried with the original GPU in that case?

I'll try it in the morning, after I use a live USB to rule out it being a windows problem 

57 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Sounds like Windows is really unhappy, or your HDD is not happy. What does the performance tab of Task Manager look like?

Either way, you can rule out a hardware issue by using a Linux live-USB. If it works fine there, then you know the issue is software or the HDD.

Edit: Also would be a good idea to DDU the graphics driver.

Booted off a live USB and it was still slow and unresponsive (even by USB standards) could it be a motherboard issue?

3 hours ago, Echothedolpin said:

What is your PSU?

Seasoninc 1000 wat 80+ gold

On 11/20/2022 at 9:52 PM, Kidblunder said:

Booted off a live USB and it was still slow and unresponsive (even by USB standards) could it be a motherboard issue?

Bios configuration, bad bios image, or thermal issues.

Clear CMOS, reflash BIOS, and go from there. It would be unusual for a motherboard to fail like that, they typically either work or they don't. (Though it is possible)

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64