Throttling certain users data at home... Possible? Alternatives?

pollepel

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to limit devices hogging all the available bandwidth for my home internet?

I am working from home right now and had to go ask my family if someone was downloading heavily.

Turns out my brother was indeed doing that, now that he turned it off i am able to work normally again.

I dont want to just throw him out the network at random but a way to limit devices hogging everything in those times of need could be usefull.

Any sources, tips or ways of achieving this would be helpfull 🙂

Thanks,

Popo

What is possible depends on what your router can do. You might be able to throttle a device, or you might only be able to totally block it. You might be able to prioritize your own device, or you might not. You'll have to see what your router can do.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 hour ago, pollepel said:

Any sources, tips or ways of achieving this would be helpfull

1. Internet speeds being paid for?
  2. Current router make/model?
  3. Any other network hardware?
  4. Are your clients connecting predominantly via a wired or wireless connection?
  5. Have you tried asking your brother to schedule his downloads during off-peak hours?

Depending on the router, yes.

DrayTek routers can do it, I have it enabled for a port that goes to my Neighbour's house and my house, we half the bill so we half the bandwidth, I know WatchGuard's can do it too - not so sure about "home" grade routers, ISP provided ones, but I would assume so.

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]