RTX 4090 & Ryzen 7 Bottleneck

Ty_Cox
Go to solution Solved by WereCat,
33 minutes ago, Ty_Cox said:

hvCM05P.jpeg

This time I disabled upscaling and put the resolution back to default monitor res. I am targeting 250 FPS.

Overwatch 2 hits 600 FPS no problem. So I am so confused why the CPU would be the bottlenecked at 190 FPS.

pVyOSNB.png

Because Overwatch and MW2 run on completely different engines with different overheads.

RTX 4090 is bottlenecked in most games at 1080p even with 13900k and even at 1440p.

There is nothing wrong with your CPU, the game is just very CPU heavy so it's also an engine limitation. 

Yes, you would get better performance with better CPU but the difference won't be big. 

Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.4 GHz is being hella bottlenecked?

Is Ryzen 7 5800X that bad?!

unknown.png

My eyeballs. 😳

Let me get this straight. 4090 + 1080p monitor + DLSS performance making the res actually 960x544. 

Yes, you're seeing bottlenecking but its the GPU that BEING bottlenecked since you're throwing such a small res at the game. The 4090 is sitting around with nothing to do as this is a very unbalanced setup and configuration. 

With a 4090 you certainly want to upgrade your monitor but at the very least, turn off DLSS. If you insist on keeping that monitor, you're going to want a faster CPU but it will always be your bottleneck at that resolution. 

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

My eyeballs. 😳

Let me get this straight. 4090 + 1080p monitor + DLSS performance making the res actually 960x544. 

Yes, you're seeing bottlenecking but its the GPU that BEING bottlenecked since you're throwing such a small res at the game. The 4090 is sitting around with nothing to do.

With a 4090 you certainly want to upgrade your monitor but at the very least, turn off DLSS. If you insist on keeping that monitor, you're going to want a faster CPU but it will always be your bottleneck at that resolution. 

hvCM05P.jpeg

This time I disabled upscaling and put the resolution back to default monitor res. I am targeting 250 FPS.

Overwatch 2 hits 600 FPS no problem. So I am so confused why the CPU would be the bottlenecked at 190 FPS.

pVyOSNB.png

im pretty sure in theory there is no cpu currently that can max out that card. you made a whoopsie! it happens.  

10 minutes ago, Ty_Cox said:

This time I disabled upscaling and put the resolution back to default monitor res

and what is the default monitor res?

ok, what you should be doing is turn off the Nvidia overlay, reset the games settings (is that warzone? 🤢) and run the test again. 

at the moment we just know that your cpu is bottlenecking hard, but it might get better with either default or even very high settings,  make sure dlss is off.

basically you're getting what i got with a 3070 (190fps max) so something just doesn't seem right imo.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

This monitor is 1080p.

Lmao, the benchmark is from MW2, but yea trying to please my friend by playing this dang game.

4K test with no upscaling. Pretty much the same result with a bit more stress on GPU.

x1HdeJN.jpeg

The comment section of this video is interesting: 

It seems Warzone 2.0 must be poorly optimized? 

Here are screenshots with CPU usage (mid benchmark) @ 1080p

cpm380y.jpeg

ptbFc3E.jpeg

4ibSPqL.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Ty_Cox said:

hvCM05P.jpeg

pVyOSNB.png

Because Overwatch and MW2 run on completely different engines with different overheads.

RTX 4090 is bottlenecked in most games at 1080p even with 13900k and even at 1440p.

There is nothing wrong with your CPU, the game is just very CPU heavy so it's also an engine limitation. 

Yes, you would get better performance with better CPU but the difference won't be big. 

9 minutes ago, Ty_Cox said:

Not the answer I wanted, but definitely the truth. 😞

This man is getting 230 fps - 250 fps regularly. https://www.twitch.tv/symfuhny

His specs:

6b06eb041892f6e17f7eda4d8cd08aea.png

Thank you for the help guys.

You can squeeze some extra performance by manually setting tFAW, tRRDS and tRRDL timings on your memory. 

tFAW = 16

tRRDS = 4

tRRDL = 4 (set it to 6 if you have Dual Rank sticks) 

This should give you maybe 5% extra performance depending on all your other memory settings. 

Obviously a new CPU with DDR5 will perform better but the difference you're getting cost a ton of money for what you get.

1 hour ago, Ty_Cox said:

Lmao, the benchmark is from MW2, but yea trying to please my friend by playing this dang game.

ah, ok... well it seemed basically the same lol...

yeah it might be the games optimization but I still think you could get a bit better performance by tweaking stuff -- but the settings in this game are a mess! And well they probably going to fix the cpu usage at some point,  but who knows...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

Not wrong but there isn't a CPU available to max out a 4090 at that resolution.  Probably not even Ryzen 7000 x3d.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

1 hour ago, Ty_Cox said:

Not the answer I wanted, but definitely the truth. 😞

This man is getting 230 fps - 250 fps regularly. https://www.twitch.tv/symfuhny

His specs:

6b06eb041892f6e17f7eda4d8cd08aea.png

Thank you for the help guys.

His resolution? You might even get better performance at a higher resolution where the 4090 will be able to actually do some work. 1080p is an incredibly low resolution for a system with a 4090 and it isn’t doing anything to improve your performance. He’s also got very fast DDR5 and a much faster CPU. Time to experiment.