i5-13600k Very Low Cinebench Scores

Stephenr90

My Cinebench r23 scores are around 10,900 when the 13600k should be about 23k-24k.

Specs:

• CPU: i5-13600k
  • MB: Gigabyte B660m Aorus Pro AX DDR4
  • Cooler: Thermalright FC140
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600 MHz CL18
  • GPU: Zotac 1080 GTX
  • PSU: Super Flower Legion HX 750W
  • Windows 11

According to HWiNFO64 the cores are boosting correctly and temps never get above 70, so no thermal throttling. But the CPU package power never goes above 135W which seems low and I think might be the problem. The only change I initially made in BIOS was XMP for the RAM. I've also tried the power limits set to auto and set manually with the same results. I'm not really sure what to try now, could something be wrong with my motherboard? Thank you.

348910811_Screenshot2022-11-11210350.thumb.png.a763916e37050af75b9193a116960079.png

is MCE still a think on intel, if so try turning it on 

P.S. I'm a dirty AMD boi so this is just my passing knowledge. 

Have you tried setting a fixed OC on the chip? 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

look in bios for unlocked power limits, set to 200+w.

oh you did that, just saw you on b660 and thought, "goddamn power limits"

latest bios right?

Yeah I had to install the newest BIOS for the 13th gen CPU. It's the F20 version. I think I'm just going to try to get a new motherboard and see if that helps.

• 4 months later...
On 11/12/2022 at 8:03 PM, Stephenr90 said:

Yeah I had to install the newest BIOS for the 13th gen CPU. It's the F20 version. I think I'm just going to try to get a new motherboard and see if that helps.

Old thread I know but I have exactly the same issue. Did you ever solve this issue?

@ak1292

Are your Cinebench scores half of what they should be? A 13600K on a B660 board can and should score over 24,000 points in R23. I think this problem is caused by the Intel Undervolt Protection (UVP) feature. Here is some background information about this issue.

If you are using the latest BIOS version for your motherboard, have a look for an option in the BIOS to disable UVP. You might have to install earlier BIOS versions that do not automatically enable UVP. Some users have had success by installing the first BIOS version that supports 13th Gen CPUs. 

HWiNFO should be able to report if UVP is enabled or not. If you cannot find this information in HWiNFO, send me a message and I will hook you up with the latest ThrottleStop beta version. It shows when UVP is enabled and what BIOS microcode version that is being used. 

image.png.f07ebd7b37da9ade06c21b35b8fa7bcb.png

The screenshot shows that the CPU is ignoring the -125 mV undervolt request when UVP is enabled. 

I have helped many users undervolt their 13600K on B660 boards after UVP has been disabled. Less voltage can drop CPU temps by 20°C when running Cinebench. Kind of dumb that Intel has gone out of their way to disable undervolting. Their "fix" has completely screwed up performance.

The throttling is happening within the CPU so most monitoring software is not reporting any change in MHz. Based on MHz, everything looks OK but it is definitely not OK. Some users are calling this "clock stretching". You are not alone with this issue.